Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

It amazes me how people react to threads!

Wikiposts

It amazes me how people react to threads!

Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:57 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It amazes me how people react to threads!

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Thanks for the positive feedback, IMO a forum's no good if people aren't going to post because of fear of negative comments. Most people can answer question's in a civilised manner but there's a certain few who just wanna piss on your chips!
and a forums no good if every one agrees with everyone.
it would be as boring as hell
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:08 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
If people are too timid to state what they think, maybe Oz is going to be too tough for them?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
If people are too timid to state what they think, maybe Oz is going to be too tough for them?
Why, do you have to be a tough nut to live in Oz?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Sometimes, well actually ALOT of the time when reading through posts on a thread on BE I can't get over how people start getting all sensitive and smart arsed when leaving a comment. A simple question might be asked as a recent one ' Can my wife ship her favorite shampoo' and people will start getting arsey with each other - you should do this, you shouldn't do that, Australia has shampoo you know blah blah blah. It's like hello just answer the question -yes or no. Some people can start an argument in an empty room and I think some of them post on BE. And more than once I've been told that people refrain from posting or leaving comments on posts because of the reaction it gets, it's ridiculous.
To be honest if you need to start a thread about taking shampoo to Australia then you have far bigger problems in your life than worrying about whether the replies will be sarcastic or not.

However, that is no worse than the threads which start (and these are my favorite) variations on the theme "what will my livings costs be" generally with no background as to personal circumstances tastes etc.

So you could argue that those threads which attract the most cynicism are the ones which most deserve it..........or you could say that the British are probably the most cynical, self righteous race on the planet.

PS. Do not dare start a thread on anything that might vaguely illegal as the moral majority will beat you into submission.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o

It's not about everyone agreeing, it's not even about opinions. It's about getting a moral backlash and people criticising not only what you say but also the way you say it. Some even resorting to personal comments.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:30 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you do. Immigration is the toughest thing in the world.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MartinH
To be honest if you need to start a thread about taking shampoo to Australia then you have far bigger problems in your life than worrying about whether the replies will be sarcastic or not.

However, that is no worse than the threads which start (and these are my favorite) variations on the theme "what will my livings costs be" generally with no background as to personal circumstances tastes etc.

So you could argue that those threads which attract the most cynicism are the ones which most deserve it..........or you could say that the British are probably the most cynical, self righteous race on the planet.

PS. Do not dare start a thread on anything that might vaguely illegal as the moral majority will beat you into submission.

It's usually the stupid questions that don't receive a backlash from the mob, maybe we're just too intelligent

PS. I've only just recovered from the beating I got
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:37 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I dunno..... I think a sense of humour is pretty important too
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago I was a regular on a UK live chat site that is now gone. A couple of people would have long drawn out arguments with each other, sometimes they would agree on something and have a real good discussion. Most of the time they were quite entertaining. It took us all about three years to realise that these two were actually the same person but he did it so well, one had perfect spelling the other did not.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:42 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Sometimes the way the comments are posted will phrase a lot of backlash. People are reading the written word and things like scarasim humour or even the main intention of the post can get lost in translation. Your thread about debt did initially sound like you were thinking of doing a runner yourself. It wasn't until later (many pages on) that you clarified the situation. In hindsight a poll would have been a lot more productive, perhaps "have you known someone who did a runner, or did it yourself".

Still though, most problems could be resolved early on if people just asked the "is this your intention, or are you just curious?" I still think it's important though to get your ideas and questions across as clearly as possible. I have posted the odd thing without wording it properly and received some interesting replies, that has made me a lot more cautious with how I post.

And I'm not just aiming this at the OP either. I've seen countless people post questions like "will we be able to survive in Sydney?" without posting a rough guide of salary or how much they spend, whether they are single, married, with or without kids, etc. Sometimes people expect an answer and get snooty when people ask for more info, other times it's they realize they need to provide more after a bit of probing.

Plus, there's always posters that either just like to stir things up or maybe just have a brash personality. It's just like real life, only on here it's a bit easier to be a jackass. Most of the time the board (as a whole) is very helpful, but sometimes I think we just get a bit bored too and like the excitement.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:43 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

If you don't like arguements don't bring up immunizations either, and I imagine abortion would be out too!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:49 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

My basis is on 2 fronts

1] Australia is brash and blunt in the work place - some more than others. Sometimes its not said out of spite or meant intentionally but it appears so. In this regard some people (perhaps more of the timid variety) would find that difficult.

2] Migration in general is tough and stressful. In a few situations you will need to stand toe to toe, be it estate agents, govt officials, flight crew

My observation is you take people out of their support network of close friends and family and see what grit they have. Some don't thats life.

Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:52 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
I dunno..... I think a sense of humour is pretty important too
Absolutely, all of us could take heed of that at one time or another don't you think.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:52 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thanks for the positive feedback, IMO a forum's no good if people aren't going to post because of fear of negative comments. Most people can answer question's in a civilised manner but there's a certain few who just wanna piss on your chips!
I prefer vinegar.

But yeah, bunch of argumentative persona on here eh!!! just go with the flow, i do.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
If you mean migration is the toughest thing in the world then no offence but I very much doubt it, I'd rather emigrate than have a terminal illness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.