Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Am I right in thinking........

Am I right in thinking........

Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Am I right in thinking........

that I have read it somewhere that you can sign for the sale of your house on a friday but then move out say the following friday??????

Been searching to see if I can find anyone else's thread that contain this info but no luck

I know we can ask solicitor on Monday but it is Saturday night (UK time) and I am an impatient bugger

The reason I am asking is that I think our buyers are playing a game with us and will try to pull a massive drop in price (which we cannot afford) on day of signing, so I am loathed to book shippers and sell my suite/TV/etc..... in case things go t*ts up on the day Not sure how it all works, thanks for any advice.

Cheers
Old Aug 1st 2009, 8:45 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I right in thinking........

Originally Posted by louise
that I have read it somewhere that you can sign for the sale of your house on a friday but then move out say the following friday??????

Been searching to see if I can find anyone else's thread that contain this info but no luck

I know we can ask solicitor on Monday but it is Saturday night (UK time) and I am an impatient bugger

The reason I am asking is that I think our buyers are playing a game with us and will try to pull a massive drop in price (which we cannot afford) on day of signing, so I am loathed to book shippers and sell my suite/TV/etc..... in case things go t*ts up on the day Not sure how it all works, thanks for any advice.

Cheers
Where are you located? [uk?]
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Where are you located? [uk?]
ooops...... Yes sorry North West, UK
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:53 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

ooops...... Yes sorry North West, UK
You might get an answer now mate
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can do that in the UK. And also in Oz actually.

My neighbours in the UK are doing this.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes, you can do that in the UK. And also in Oz actually.

My neighbours in the UK are doing this.
Thanks very much for the info, we will contact our solicitors tomorrow and sort it out
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

stuckinswansea will become famous soon enoughstuckinswansea will become famous soon enough

Thanks very much for the info, we will contact our solicitors tomorrow and sort it out
There are two dates after signing,

Exchange - i.e. solicitors swap contracts with fixed moving dates on, after this point a delay costs money and its almost impossible to pull out.

Completion - Moving out day, money changes hands and you move out once the solicitor confirms that the money has arrived.

You can exchange and complete on the same day and take it from me it is stressful as the buyer has you by the short and curlies as they know that you have packed up, are in am mental state to leave your house and have booked the movers and time off work.

If it was me i would never do both on the same day again, especially if you have doubts about the buyer.

-Kevin
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:21 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinswansea

Exchange - i.e. solicitors swap contracts with fixed moving dates on, after this point a delay costs money and its almost impossible to pull out.

Completion - Moving out day, money changes hands and you move out once the solicitor confirms that the money has arrived.

You can exchange and complete on the same day and take it from me it is stressful as the buyer has you by the short and curlies as they know that you have packed up, are in am mental state to leave your house and have booked the movers and time off work.

If it was me i would never do both on the same day again, especially if you have doubts about the buyer.

-Kevin
It sounds like a two week gap between exchange and completion is a good idea.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I only know how it works in Australia - both parties agree on a settlement date - can be as short or long as you like.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stuckinswansea

-Kevin
Totally agree, I know the twice I have moved in the UK we have done both on the same day but we were only moving maximum of 10 miles, this is a completely different ball game.

Thanks for your reply