Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are ALL containers FUMIGATED?

Are ALL containers FUMIGATED?

Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future
Default Are ALL containers FUMIGATED?

Hi guys,

My shipping company are telling me that ALL containers are fumigated, is this so?

Lisa...x

Last edited by snoo; Jul 13th 2009 at 12:38 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:53 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are ALL containers FUMIGATED?

DOn't think ours was? If it was, Customs didnt tell us.. ours arrived in Brisbane back in December last year..

Em x
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No they're not. In fact I would say it was relatively rare for a whole container of someone's goods to be fumigated. AQIS may fumigate the odd thing but you'd know because you'd have to pay for it to be done.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

hmmm, this is what I thought! Thanks for the replies!
Lisa,xx
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Just an update...I've spoked to the shippers and they are still insisting that it's routine to fumigate all containers!!!!!!!! They also said they'd phoned Oz (who exactly in Australia is anyone's guess as it was my husband who spoke to them)
I've just emailed AQIS to ask them.
Lisa
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoo
Just an update...I've spoked to the shippers and they are still insisting that it's routine to fumigate all containers!!!!!!!! They also said they'd phoned Oz (who exactly in Australia is anyone's guess as it was my husband who spoke to them)
I've just emailed AQIS to ask them.
Lisa
Rubbish.

My BiL works in the import business, so I reckon he knows. They don't fumigate without a reason.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:16 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Rubbish.

My BiL works in the import business, so I reckon he knows. They don't fumigate without a reason.
Fumigating is only done when it is deemed necessary, or if the container has come from a country with a history of exotic pests or diseases............mm
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies...I knew they didn't fumigate every container, but still can't understand why a shipping company would say they do! It's not even like they are trying to ask for more money for this! They're charging £2,100 door to door for a 20ft container, which is superb! Oh well, I don't supose it's a big deal...I just wanted clarification as myself and the company were in disagreement about it.
BTW...this is from DAFF...

As all consignments are subject to inspection, fumigation prior to arrival in Australia is not required. However, should quarantine risk material be found on inspection, the goods will be ordered for appropriate treatment. The inspection is charged based on the amount of time the inspection takes. The minimum fee is $80 which covers the first 30 minutes and then it is $40 for every 15 minutes after the first 30 minutes.

Lisa,x
Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:42 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snoo
Thanks for the replies...I knew they didn't fumigate every container, but still can't understand why a shipping company would say they do! It's not even like they are trying to ask for more money for this! They're charging £2,100 door to door for a 20ft container, which is superb! Oh well, I don't supose it's a big deal...I just wanted clarification as myself and the company were in disagreement about it.
BTW...this is from DAFF...

As all consignments are subject to inspection, fumigation prior to arrival in Australia is not required. However, should quarantine risk material be found on inspection, the goods will be ordered for appropriate treatment. The inspection is charged based on the amount of time the inspection takes. The minimum fee is $80 which covers the first 30 minutes and then it is $40 for every 15 minutes after the first 30 minutes.

Lisa,x
Wow thats a gr8 price Who are you using?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:00 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Wow thats a gr8 price Who are you using?
Ourcontainersarecrapbutwecanusethemforexpats Shipping Co.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bix
Oi....don't be cheeky!! Actually it's a friend that's doing it at cost!

xx
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:08 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix