Albury/Wodonga

Old Oct 17th 2007, 5:13 am
Account Closed

gigi100 has a spectacular aura aboutgigi100 has a spectacular aura aboutgigi100 has a spectacular aura about
Default Albury/Wodonga

Hi saw a thread posted in 2002 from someone wanting info but no replies. A few years on does anyone have info on what its like there to live and is there much industry (fella's a forklift operater). Is the Murray River dirty like the Yarra and is the country side hilly or flat? Has it got a poor reputation or is it up and coming?
I know i have a lot of questions and would appreciate some info if anyone has any
Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2007, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Albury/Wodonga

Albury Wodonga is in fact two country towns one on either side of the border. Albury in NSW and Wodonga in Victoria (the signs going South always point to Albury and the signs going north up the Hume always point to Wodonga). They are both reasonable size country towns and look to be quite pleasant as we drive through (or now we go round Albury actually). Still quite a drought ridden area so it looks dry and burnt. Mountains sort of around it really - the Great Dividing range is to the East of the townships and you can see Mt Buffalo and Mt Hotham from the Hume just a few km south. Hills on the western side.

No idea about the work situation but it always looks as if it is quite a thriving area and generally there are jobs going in Aus if you have skills. Housing would be cheaper than the big cities that's for sure. It is a 3+hour drive down to Melbourne and 7+ up to Sydney so if you need a big city experience every now and again it will take quite an effort although the train does run through down to Melbourne.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:55 am
Account Closed

gigi100 has a spectacular aura aboutgigi100 has a spectacular aura aboutgigi100 has a spectacular aura about

thanks for your reply. Was hoping for green countryside. Liked the idea of Ballarat but was put off by lack of work. Maybe keep researching different areas.
Thanks again
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ballarat is a drought area too - until recently the lake there had dried up entirely! They have had some rain lately but not sure that it is enough to break the water restrictions.

Still quite green down in Gippsland area but not sure that there is much work going down there.

Albury will green up eventually!!!!
Old Oct 18th 2007, 11:28 am
Account Closed

Thank you again for your info
I suppose i am wishful as i do realize we are in a drought so i think i will research Wodonga Albury some more. I liked the sound of Bairnsdale or Warrnambool too on the coast but again its the lack of work. Even though WA is not on coast i think the mighty Murray would make up for it and who spends the day on the beach anyway?? Can always go to beach on holidays anyway.

Just cant wait to get out of Melbourne as its too hectic for me.
Thank you again
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Appreciate any information you may have about living and working in Murray & Riverina areas in NSW fora family with kids.

OH skill in demand (SIR visa) in these areas and we are looking for more information before we submit our application for sponsorship.

We have teenage kids and therefore schools and activities would be on top of our list!!

Thank you

Mari