Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Age difference - does it matter?

Age difference - does it matter?

Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:24 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Age difference - does it matter?

People ask me regularly about the pros and cons of a big age difference (my DH is 11 yrs older than me, 35+46) and obviously there are both but we have been together nearly 14 years and we are still standing.
Wonder how it will feel when he is 60 and I am 49 It seems to generate less comments now that we are thirties and forties then it did when I was 22 and he was 33.
Anyway wondering what people think about age difference?
And is there a double standard - if I was older would that be less tolerated?
If I had been 33 and he was 22...think that would have been frowned apon. And is there an age gap that is too big? Either way round?
Anyway just wondering what you gorgeous people think

Last edited by Babycatcher; Mar 26th 2008 at 11:41 pm. Reason: can't bloody spell I always have to correct myself :(
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

leweli is a jewel in the roughleweli is a jewel in the roughleweli is a jewel in the roughleweli is a jewel in the roughleweli is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Age difference - does it matter?

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
People ask me regularly about the pros and cons of a big age difference (my DH is 11 yrs older than me, 35+46) and obviously there are both but we have been together nearly 14 years and we are still standing.
Wonder how it will feel when he is 60 and I am 49 It seems to generate less comments now that we are thirties and forties then it did when I was 22 and he was 33.
And is there a double standard - if I was older would that be less tolderated?
If I had been 33 and he was 22...think that would have been frowned apon. And is there an age gap that is too big? Either way round?
Is just over 11 years between me and my hubby too (me 38, him 50 this year). Would agree that there are definitely pros and cons on both sides. Saying that, couldn't be happier - meeting him is the best thing that's happened to me x.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

And is there a double standard - if I was older would that be less tolderated?
As far as the age gap being the other way around goes, all I can say is Demi Moore. The way round you have it, Catherine Zeta Jones.

Who gives, if it works for you, it works for you regardless of age. If everyone took age into account there would be less people in happy, successful relationships. If it works, it works, thats what matters, not age.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:45 pm

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikiL
As far as the age gap being the other way around goes, all I can say is Demi Moore. The way round you have it, Catherine Zeta Jones.

Who gives, if it works for you, it works for you regardless of age. If everyone took age into account there would be less people in happy, successful relationships. If it works, it works, thats what matters, not age.
yeh totally agree but it's funny how often it comes up in coverstion.

My sister told me recently she was having a 'thing' with a 25 yr old - she is 51....I was shocked, not in a judging way...she is happy that is all that matters. Haven't talked to her about how she feels about peoples attitude but I bet she gets some.
p.s. if I looked like Demi I might consider a younger man too!

Last edited by Babycatcher; Mar 26th 2008 at 11:46 pm. Reason: add p.s.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

yeh totally agree but it's funny how often it comes up in coverstion.

My sister told me recently she was having a 'thing' with a 25 yr old - she is 51....I was shocked, not in a judging way...she is happy that is all that matters. Haven't talked to her about how she feels about peoples attitude but I bet she gets some.
p.s. if I looked like Demi I might consider a younger man too!
Don't forget the $220k surgery cost that goes with her
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:54 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a number of friends where the woman is older than the man and they all seem to work. The biggest difference is one of our friends is 49 and his wife is 63 and they have been married for 27 years. When I look at all these relationships and other 'normal' ones, what seems to work is that they make each other laugh and generally have a good time, taking the bad/sad/difficult times as they come along and dealing with them.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:19 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

doesnt matter.

there is 16 years between me and the OH. everyone was worried about the age difference but 8 years and 2 kids later have seen to that.

As long as you are both happy, who cares what others think?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is 23 years younger. Before we married about 15 months ago, I had relationships with even greater age differences. So, I have to say it doesn't matter. Happy is happy. Love is love.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Vanessa
We have a number of friends where the woman is older than the man and they all seem to work. The biggest difference is one of our friends is 49 and his wife is 63 and they have been married for 27 years. When I look at all these relationships and other 'normal' ones, what seems to work is that they make each other laugh and generally have a good time, taking the bad/sad/difficult times as they come along and dealing with them.
How lush.... hmmmmm maybe I should get a Toy Boy after all
Only kidding - We are happy and I don't give a monkey's what anyone thinks (never have) we are complete opposites and I know people don't get it so just as well I don't care. He is quiet and not very sociable, and sometimes a grumpy old git and I am quite gregarious, nearly always smiling and love to party but we make each other laugh and are always there for each other.... BTW our kids have decided we will be called 'Nana and Grumps' when we are grandparents LOL - think they have my sense of humour
Thanks guys...must remember to catch up with my sister and see how it's going
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi I don't thing the number is the issue, its the people & their personalities. There is 16 years difference bewteen us & I've never been happier. Works for me

Donna
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:23 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Doesnt matter
My OH is 10 years older than me. Coincidentally, 2 of our best friends are also 10 years apart (she the older) and within a couple of years of us. This way round does seem more unusual though.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:58 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I think, after a certain age, it really doesn't matter. What that age is I'm not really certain but I've previously said about 25 as I think you need to be adults.

There are far more important things to have in common than age - maturity (or immaturity!), where you are in your life, what you want from a relationship, etc.

My husband is ten years younger than me. We'd both been married before, were at similar places in our careers, earned similar money (i.e., were equals) and knew what we wanted from life.

The main thing that pisses me off about it all is when he thinks Westlife did the original...
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

leweli is a jewel in the roughleweli is a jewel in the roughleweli is a jewel in the roughleweli is a jewel in the roughleweli is a jewel in the rough

The main thing that pisses me off about it all is when he thinks Westlife did the original...[/QUOTE]

My OH says the same thing about me x.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by leweli
The main thing that pisses me off about it all is when he thinks Westlife did the original...
My OH says the same thing about me x.[/QUOTE]

LOL Me too
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I don't think that age differences are important. As long as the two people in the relationship are happy, then it shouldn't matter how old they are.