Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

After 8 years - It is finally happening

After 8 years - It is finally happening

Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default After 8 years - It is finally happening

For the ones that know my story/family background migration issues, I would like to say that I am almost at the end of struggling path with my daughter. A few hous ago I booked her a flight out here - and she will be arriving in January

I left her behind over 8 years ago when she was almost 15 (as anyone with teenagers knows) and she refused to come along with us all. It broke my heart then and the following years of separation and bad feelings between us grew with a huge barrier between us.

In August I met up with her for the second time in 8 years and it went really well. She agreed to consider coming out for a holiday - but I didn't get my hopes up as I thought she was just saying what I wanted to hear and that she would change her mind.

I know I won't get fully excited until she lands here on Oz soil - but I am kind off getting a bit excited (secretly)
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 8 years - It is finally happening

Congratulations, thats great news. You are probably already thinking this but when she arrives, avoid trying to over please as that will become annoying and might put her in a rush to leave.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 3:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really pleased for you Sas. I know you had a really tough time of it over the past few years so you deserve all the good things coming your way. Enjoy showing your daughter around Australia.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 4:10 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's hoping you both have a fantastic time
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 13th 2012, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

caronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura about

Good luck to you. I have a similar story in a way. I came out here with my hubby Rod (second husband) five years ago in October 2007. Two of my kids by my first marriage (daughter then aged 18 and son then aged 16) decided to remain in the UK with their father but my youngest daughter (then aged 14) wanted to come with me. After a rather nasty court battle we were given permission to bring her. She lasted here for 9 months before she decided her friends in the UK were more important. She refused to try to adapt in any way at all. We had sold everything to make the move and were not going to return to the UK. I remained on good terms with all kids (but my son was very cool towards me for a while). It's heartbreaking to do and only someone who has done can truly appreciate the heartache and dilemmas you face. Funnily enough, my oldest daughter came out for a holiday in January 2009, met an Aussie bloke and returned the following December on a working holiday visa. She has now been living with him for almost two years, has a temp partner visa and will be applying for her permanent residency in October next year. My other two stay in touch via phone and skype but as yet have no plans to tome out for a holiday. I live in hope!!! As long as they are happy in their world, I'm content. They both have partners and are making their own way in the world.
Love can be tough sometimes !
I love Australia to bits and me and hubby became Aussie citizens two weeks ago. We live in a rural part of NSW (Rylstone) which is gorgeous and are in the middle of building our dream home on a 10 acre block.
Good luck to all who have the courage to take the steps
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caronandrod
Good luck to you. I have a similar story in a way. I came out here with my hubby Rod (second husband) five years ago in October 2007. Two of my kids by my first marriage (daughter then aged 18 and son then aged 16) decided to remain in the UK with their father but my youngest daughter (then aged 14) wanted to come with me. After a rather nasty court battle we were given permission to bring her. She lasted here for 9 months before she decided her friends in the UK were more important. She refused to try to adapt in any way at all. We had sold everything to make the move and were not going to return to the UK. I remained on good terms with all kids (but my son was very cool towards me for a while). It's heartbreaking to do and only someone who has done can truly appreciate the heartache and dilemmas you face. Funnily enough, my oldest daughter came out for a holiday in January 2009, met an Aussie bloke and returned the following December on a working holiday visa. She has now been living with him for almost two years, has a temp partner visa and will be applying for her permanent residency in October next year. My other two stay in touch via phone and skype but as yet have no plans to tome out for a holiday. I live in hope!!! As long as they are happy in their world, I'm content. They both have partners and are making their own way in the world.
Love can be tough sometimes !
I love Australia to bits and me and hubby became Aussie citizens two weeks ago. We live in a rural part of NSW (Rylstone) which is gorgeous and are in the middle of building our dream home on a 10 acre block.
Good luck to all who have the courage to take the steps

Thanks for taking time to share. I feel there are a lot more of these stories to relate on this site. And there will be many more born when families decide to migrate.

I was given hope from friends on here and I almost gave up hope. When I think back - I know I made mistakes along the way and got caught up in the moment. But I still think the move to Oz was the best thing for me and my step-daughter.

Good luck for you big reunion - and hope Oz draws them all across at some point.

I am counting the weeks (4 now) till Amy arrives.