Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Advise re splitting in oz

Advise re splitting in oz

Old Apr 11th 2009, 8:47 am
Just Joined

nirvana 101 has a spectacular aura aboutnirvana 101 has a spectacular aura aboutnirvana 101 has a spectacular aura about
Default Advise re splitting in oz

My partner and i have been in aus less than a year and are now splitting up. Financially its a disaster so we have decided to return to the uk. We have only just bought a house its all a mess. My question is we have a car on finance, which we paid a third towards as deposit. Am i within my rights to sell it and then pay the finance off, or is there anyway i could give the car back and may get some money back from it. The car is brand new. Cheers
Old Apr 11th 2009, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise re splitting in oz

Sorry can't help with you enquiries,just wanted to say having been through a marriage breakdown myself can understand how you must be feeling.Good luck with everything and you'll get loads of support on this forum should you need it ok?xx
Old Apr 11th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nirvana 101
My partner and i have been in aus less than a year and are now splitting up. Financially its a disaster so we have decided to return to the uk. We have only just bought a house its all a mess. My question is we have a car on finance, which we paid a third towards as deposit. Am i within my rights to sell it and then pay the finance off, or is there anyway i could give the car back and may get some money back from it. The car is brand new. Cheers
Yo can sell the vehicle as long as you pay the loan off, is it a secured loan. It maked a differance
Old Apr 11th 2009, 10:41 am
Just Joined

nirvana 101 has a spectacular aura aboutnirvana 101 has a spectacular aura aboutnirvana 101 has a spectacular aura about

the car loan is through st georges bank, its not secured on the house if thats what you mean. We cant afford to pay the finance off then sell the car, it would have to be the other way round.

My head is a mess, i dont know where to start, obviously i wont have a job asap when i go back will i be entitled to any benefits, havent even got anywhere to live, he can go to lots of family or friends but i will have my son and no-one has room for us.

As it stands we will need to save up for a few months for money for the shippers etc, we will both be starting again, i should have walked away last year when we were in a better position but we both wanted to make it work. I wish someone would wave a wand and help me, ive not told anyone yet, and this is a pseudo name as im a regular on here.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:01 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

the car loan is through st georges bank, its not secured on the house if thats what you mean. We cant afford to pay the finance off then sell the car, it would have to be the other way round.

My head is a mess, i dont know where to start, obviously i wont have a job asap when i go back will i be entitled to any benefits, havent even got anywhere to live, he can go to lots of family or friends but i will have my son and no-one has room for us.

As it stands we will need to save up for a few months for money for the shippers etc, we will both be starting again, i should have walked away last year when we were in a better position but we both wanted to make it work. I wish someone would wave a wand and help me, ive not told anyone yet, and this is a pseudo name as im a regular on here.
do you really have to go back. wouldnt it be easier to stay here with your son and rent?
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Its really hard to think clearly when you have so many thoughts going through your mind!Really feel for you though,we're here if you need us ok?xxxxxxx
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:40 am
Just Joined

we cant afford to stay here and split the mortgage is too much and we cant afford to rent seperatly.Plus i want to go back to the uk as all my support is there, i dont want to be all alone here in aus
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:41 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

we cant afford to stay here and split the mortgage is too much and we cant afford to rent seperatly.Plus i want to go back to the uk as all my support is there, i dont want to be all alone here in aus
oh right, i thought you meant you had no one to return to
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Its really hard to think clearly when you have so many thoughts going through your mind!Really feel for you though,we're here if you need us ok?xxxxxxx
thankyou, my head is up my arse at the moment i dont know where to start. its amicable at the moment, but christ knows how long for!!
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by soapy©
oh right, i thought you meant you had no one to return too
i do, but they dont know yet anything would only be tempory ie sleeping on a friends settee. Whats the feasablity of me sitting on the council doorstep with my son hoping they house me temporarily?
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:46 am
Master of verbal pish©

i do, but they dont know yet anything would only be tempory ie sleeping on a friends settee. Whats the feasablity of me sitting on the council doorstep with my son hoping they house me temporarily?
im sure if you have been away less than a year your entitled to benifits?
someone on here will know for sure though
Old Apr 11th 2009, 12:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if things have changed but my sister left her Greek husband after 20 years of living in Greece and did a moonlight flit from him with her two daughters, each member of the family put one of them up for a night and then took her to the council and they gave her emergency housing. If you've only been away a year there should be even more reason to help you.

Hope you get things sorted as soon as possible and that things do stay amicable. Good luck to you. If you want more help from people who have 'been there, done that', don't forget the Moving Back forum. They will be able to give you stacks of info of what you are entitled to and how to get it. We're all here to offer help and encouragement so whilst we may be cyber, you're not alone.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 1:02 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Don't know if things have changed but my sister left her Greek husband after 20 years of living in Greece and did a moonlight flit from him with her two daughters, each member of the family put one of them up for a night and then took her to the council and they gave her emergency housing. If you've only been away a year there should be even more reason to help you.

Hope you get things sorted as soon as possible and that things do stay amicable. Good luck to you. If you want more help from people who have 'been there, done that', don't forget the Moving Back forum. They will be able to give you stacks of info of what you are entitled to and how to get it. We're all here to offer help and encouragement so whilst we may be cyber, you're not alone.
great info Pen
Old Apr 11th 2009, 2:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it all nirvana. If you feel you need to talk privately there are loads of people here who can lend an ear. I'm not sure where in Aus you are, but I'm sure there are people near you who can help.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 6:09 am
Just Joined

thanks everyone x. I have spoken to people i know here but they are of the opinion we should try to make it work. Its come as a shock to them, but these problems have been going on for 2 years, its not something we have just decided on a whim, we tried counselling in the uk, it worked for a while but we have just grown apart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.