Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Advice on some suburbs please - Melbourne & Brisbane

Wikiposts

Advice on some suburbs please - Melbourne & Brisbane

Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice
Default Re: Advice on some suburbs please - Melbourne & Brisbane

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
I'd say Cleveland would probably hit the spots for you up this way followed by Wellington Point then Victoria Point Other than the fact it's an hour's commute by rail which may be outside your radar it has parks ,shops (of the low level typical town type as opposed to man made shopping centres, and a sunday market ,8 drinking establishments (4 -5 pubs,football club,rsl,bowls club ) oodles of restaurants (english,thai, chinese, italian and the typical fast food outlets,)a marina and a small man made beach nearby at Raby Bay
Ok will def have a look around there then thanks, do you know how long the commute is by bus? it seems that the bus commute times are quicker than trains
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Ok will def have a look around there then thanks, do you know how long the commute is by bus? it seems that the bus commute times are quicker than trains
We don't use the bus as we prefer the train but from what i can see it looks to be slightly longer according to translink website

http://download.translink.com.au/tim...5_250,N250.pdf There may well be other services as well

Last edited by bobbyftm; Oct 5th 2009 at 12:41 am.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:08 am
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Well we've got 2 kids who'll be 6 and 2 (maybe 3) when we move so I need to be somewhere that's got parks and places for kids to go nearby. Me and the OH aren't really the clubbing kind but we like to out for a meal and a drink every now and again, and I like to be near shops and places to keep me occupied, I'm at home with our youngest so I don't want to be living in hicksville with only a new shopping mall for miles around. Living near the beach would be nice but hey most people say that as long as we're not more than say 45mins away from it
Then Altona is definitely not the place for you.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by mecheng
Then Altona is definitely not the place for you.

is there anywhere else on my list like that?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

It depends on what you mean by 'beach'. If you mean golden sands etc then lots of suburbs on the southside are within 45 mins of Southport/Surfers as long as you're not too far from the Pacific highway. If you just mean the sea then many of the suburbs already mentioned are way closer - Cleveland, Wynnum etc.

Are you wanting to go to the 'beach' every day or just on weekends?

Also, you're doing the whole thing backwards - putting the cart before the horse. No point finding a suburb you love only to find the job is then over the other side of town. Take comfort in the fact that you will find an acceptable suburb that is with 40 mins of work within a reasonable budget and is not more thn 45-60 minutes from the beach no matter where in Brisbane he is working.

Once he has a job then his workmates will be a much better source of advice than a bunch of bitter old muppets on here who have only ever lived in Warrington or Redlands and can't ever imagine anything being better.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by James516
Once he has a job then his workmates will be a much better source of advice than a bunch of bitter old muppets on here who have only ever lived in Warrington or Redlands and can't ever imagine anything being better.
I do agree with that So the only solution is to look for a job in the Bayside

As an idea of travel from this 'way out' location

Bus Route 281 - City
Departing 7:19am Victoria Point Bus Station
Arriving 8:00am Buranda Busway Station (Stones Corner/PA Hospital)

Actual drive time, by car, is about 40-45 mins, at the same time of day. It takes longer, the closer to 9am you aim to arrive.

Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

Well we've got 2 kids who'll be 6 and 2 (maybe 3) when we move so I need to be somewhere that's got parks and places for kids to go nearby. Me and the OH aren't really the clubbing kind but we like to out for a meal and a drink every now and again, and I like to be near shops and places to keep me occupied, I'm at home with our youngest so I don't want to be living in hicksville with only a new shopping mall for miles around. Living near the beach would be nice but hey most people say that as long as we're not more than say 45mins away from it
Without meaning to cause offence to anyone - I would say from your original list only Bentleigh is going to tick the boxes. Maybe have a look at Cheltenham, Mentone, Highett, Mordiallic, Chadstone, Doncaster, Burwood - you'll get 3 bedrooms in the $350 - $375pw range. If you decide on Melbourne, you're really going to have to decide which is more important to you as a family - to be somewhere closer to the city but a more modest/older house, or live much much further out but live in a larger swisher house.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamSi
... If you decide on Melbourne, you're really going to have to decide which is more important to you as a family - to be somewhere closer to the city but a more modest/older house, or live much much further out but live in a larger swisher house.
I agree. Exactly the same choice for Brisbane.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:42 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish.01
I agree. Exactly the same choice for Brisbane.
Or Edinburgh
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Or Edinburgh
He meant at that particular price range ($350 - $375pw) smarty pants
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:00 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish.01
He meant at that particular price range ($350 - $375pw) smarty pants
I know Same the world over though eh
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Without meaning to cause offence to anyone - I would say from your original list only Bentleigh is going to tick the boxes. Maybe have a look at Cheltenham, Mentone, Highett, Mordiallic, Chadstone, Doncaster, Burwood - you'll get 3 bedrooms in the $350 - $375pw range. If you decide on Melbourne, you're really going to have to decide which is more important to you as a family - to be somewhere closer to the city but a more modest/older house, or live much much further out but live in a larger swisher house.

That is why I updated the original list after I got feedback from people.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

That is why I updated the original list after I got feedback from people.
Must have missed that - looking at your second list Cheltenham, Bentleigh, Mordiallic and Seaford yes, the rest no. You're welcome.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Must have missed that - looking at your second list Cheltenham, Bentleigh, Mordiallic and Seaford yes, the rest no. You're welcome.
Erm......thanks....I think
Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Erm......thanks....I think
So, are your lists done?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.