Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Advice on some suburbs please - Melbourne & Brisbane

Wikiposts

Advice on some suburbs please - Melbourne & Brisbane

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on some suburbs please - Melbourne & Brisbane

Here's the train map: QR Train Map

Remember that Greater Brisbane's geographical area is huge (like most Australian cities) so living within walking of a train stop is very lucky in the outer suburbs. The busway system is better in some ways as it feeds local buses onto the busway so can offer walking distance services to many more surrounding areas.

To give you an idea how full on the busways are here's some pictures: Brisbane Busway

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 2nd 2009 at 9:38 pm. Reason: To counter BS's sarcasm :)
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:01 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
ok so what about Redland bay,victoria point, capalaba? they were on my new list. No trains?
Well Capalaba would be within your budget. We live here and my husband commutes to the city by bus everyday. It's only a 35 minute bus ride (express I think) with no transfers (the one he catches is anway). The Birkdale train station is a 12 minute drive from our house although the train route is not exactly straight into the city and would take more like 50 minutes into the city. So a quick walk to the bus stop with a 35 minute bus ride is much better.

Redland Bay is a lot farther out. Victoria point would add about an extra 15 minutes to the bus ride and probably a transfer. So the journy by bus would be closer to 55-60 minutes I would think.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:03 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

...and here is a picture of a train
Attached Thumbnails Advice on some suburbs please - Melbourne & Brisbane-train.jpg  
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
...and here is a picture of a train
If that's what a train look like we'll have to think of a new name for the silver, red and yellow things that roll through Brisbane
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:39 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
If that's what a train look like we'll have to think of a new name for the silver, red and yellow things that roll through Brisbane
never said it was a Brisbane train. I just saw the picture and really liked it. Thought I would share it with everyone
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok so am I missing something or has Brisbane got a shitty train service? I can't seem to find train stops at most of the places on my list, the only ones I could find were

Woodridge
Toowong
Taringa
Cleveland

If you can find something in Taringa (or Toowong) I would grab it. It is a top find and significantly better than a lot of other choices on your list.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
never said it was a Brisbane train. I just saw the picture and really liked it. Thought I would share it with everyone
Subtle
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:55 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Ok so am I missing something or has Brisbane got a shitty train service? I can't seem to find train stops at most of the places on my list....
Well the train service doesn't really cover a lot of the city. More importantly accomadation near the train lines are generally more expensive. So the options are either to use the bus, there are some great routes and busways that are pretty quick, or spend a bit more to be nearer the train routes.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Ok so in that case I'll give you my list for Brisbane (haven't checked bus routes though)

Mt Gravatt
Sunnybank Hills
Woodridge
Toowong
Taringa
Kenmore
Redland Bay
Victoria Point
Mt Cotton
Capalaba
Thornlands
Cleveland
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Victoria Point route 279 - 50 mins by express bus (busway) $4.16
Thornlands route 273 - 60 mins by express bus (no busway) $3.84

WW
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:51 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Ok so in that case I'll give you my list for Brisbane (haven't checked bus routes though)

Mt Gravatt
Sunnybank Hills
Woodridge
Toowong
Taringa
Kenmore
Redland Bay
Victoria Point
Mt Cotton
Capalaba
Thornlands
Cleveland
Where are you guys hoping to work, and how long do you want to commute?

Anything in the Bayside area is pretty nice (in my opinion). Closest to the city would be Capalaba, then Cleveland, Thornlands, Victoria Point, Mount Cotton and then Redland Bay the farthest out. That's roughly speaking as it's sort of hard to judge which is closest.

I would say that there isn't that much in Mount Cotton and I would imagine the bus links would not be the greatest. You'd be better off in the other suburbs.

As for the others I have no idea, but Mount Gravatt seems to be a nice area and is about 15 minutes west of Capalaba, so it's a bit closer to the city.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:52 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Victoria Point route 279 - 50 mins by express bus (busway) $4.16
Thornlands route 273 - 60 mins by express bus (no busway) $3.84

WW
Capalaba - about 35 minutes on the express bus routes
Cleveland - about 1 hour on the train
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

We're doing our reccie in a couple of weeks to Melbourne and Brisbane and have narrowed down some suburbs in our rental price range (from realestate.com) and wondered if anyone could give me any info on them? Thanks in advance

Melbourne:
Altona/ Altona Meadows
Point Cook
Carrum Downs
Cranbourne
Chelsea
Springvale
Bentleigh

Brisbane:
Inala
Springfield Lakes
Collingwood Park
Bellbird Park
Goodna
Indooroopilly
Mt Gravatt
Sunnybank Hills
Woodridge
How about different parts of Brissy.

Clayfield
Wooloowin
Nundah
Wavell Heights

There are plenty of rentals in these areas and they are all on good rail links and not too far from the CBD (I drive in from Clayfield and it takes me 15 minutes at most).
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by comet555
on the express bus routes
Cleveland - about 1 hour on the train
Capalaba - 273 express 44 minutes $3.84

Cleveland train (a scenic meander through the 'burbs) 57 mins $3.84
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

It's my husband who'll be doing the commuting, I don't think he'd want to travel for more than 40mins each way. I have no idea where he'd be working that's the problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.