Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Advice needed with car please

Wikiposts

Advice needed with car please

Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice needed with car please

I had to take the lead from the battery last night from the car. I had arrived home and was eating my meal when the neighbour called round and said your brake lights are on.

I tried everything but they wouldn't go off - so I had to take the battery off. Anyone have any idea what the prob could be?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:17 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice needed with car please

Originally Posted by sasbear
I had to take the lead from the battery last night from the car. I had arrived home and was eating my meal when the neighbour called round and said your brake lights are on.

I tried everything but they wouldn't go off - so I had to take the battery off. Anyone have any idea what the prob could be?
Sounds obvious but have you checked that the pedal isn't sticking/ caught on something?

Failing that - aint got a bloody clue! Good luck!

Just found this - may be of use?

http://www.ehow.com/how_112712_fix-stuck-brake.html

Also found this:

When your brake light seems to be always on, then you might want to check it. You see, your car’s brake light may be stuck. You should first check the brake pedal switch. If you do not know where to find this, it is actually that small button that you can find behind the brake pedal. When you press the brake pedal down, this button is actually activated and makes your brake lights go on. Try checking the switch manually. If this seems to be the problem, then you can try giving it more force for it to become unstuck and solve the brake light problem.

Or you can check other parts of your brake system to see which one might be the culprit for your car’s eternally on brake light. You can check the fuse of the brake light and see if there are any damages to it. Also check the light bulbs of the brake light itself. If you simply are stumped, you can bring your car to your trusted mechanic so he himself can diagnose the problem for you. And when he does, he also could expertly find the solution so as to get rid of your brake light problem.

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; Nov 20th 2006 at 7:20 am.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:17 am
true blue

paul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of light

sounds like the the sensor on your brake has gone and sticking
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul geezer
sounds like the the sensor on your brake has gone and sticking

Hi,

yeah tried the break pedal by making sure not sticking - where is the sensor located? is it a big job?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Sounds obvious but have you checked that the pedal isn't sticking/ caught on something?

Failing that - aint got a bloody clue! Good luck!

Just found this - may be of use?

http://www.ehow.com/how_112712_fix-stuck-brake.html

Also found this:
thanks for the link
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:21 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

yeah tried the break pedal by making sure not sticking - where is the sensor located? is it a big job?
Get on your hands and knees and look behind the brake pedal - it's a small button that should go in when you press the pedal...check it moves freely in and out and isnt stuck!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:22 am
true blue

paul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of lightpaul geezer is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

no i dont think so they can replace sensor switch easey enough if thats wot it is?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Get on your hands and knees and look behind the brake pedal - it's a small button that should go in when you press the pedal...check it moves freely in and out and isnt stuck!
ok going to do that now...
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

can't see any switches at all - it is an automatic so will this make a difference?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:27 am
true blue

or i could be a stuck contactor in ur fuse box not sure but its sounds like a electrical problem
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:28 am
true blue

or i could be a stuck contactor in ur fuse box not sure but its sounds like a electrical problem
na no difference got any one who could ave a look 4 u?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Paul Geezer for trying to help and fluffy - am going to reconnect battery and hope the guy at the garage can take a look today for me - if not have got the spanner in hand to unhook the battery when I get to work.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:30 am
true blue

Thanks Paul Geezer for trying to help and fluffy - am going to reconnect battery and hope the guy at the garage can take a look today for me - if not have got the spanner in hand to unhook the battery when I get to work.
ok mate good luck shdnt be to dear to sort out
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:35 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Ring NRMA and they may be able to give you some tech advice.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks to all for advice

Sorted now - took it to the bloke who services car - he sent me to auto electricians - who fixed it in 20 minutes at a cost of $39 and also a promise of a drink one night - (said he liked the English accent!) It was a brake light switch under the pedal just as said above.

Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.