Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Advice needed, am I being childish???

Advice needed, am I being childish???

Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed, am I being childish???

Originally Posted by calliope
That's a lot of free help. Have they explained to you why you're not being picked? If they didn't have a very good reason I would be tempted to spend my free time elsewhere.
They don't need to give a reason that makes any sense and when do doesn't necessary amount to the truth.
Lots of positions go to mates or the like. In the private area this is especially so.
The employer often has it over the employee due to the need in many jobs to provide contactable referees. A rather ingenious way to control behaviour of a frustrated/angry employee.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by the troubadour
They don't need to give a reason that makes any sense and when do doesn't necessary amount to the truth.
Lots of positions go to mates or the like. In the private area this is especially so.
The employer often has it over the employee due to the need in many jobs to provide contactable referees. A rather ingenious way to control behaviour of a frustrated/angry employee.
Workers should be able to provide references about employers that would then be accessible to prospective workers. This would improve treatment of workers a lot.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:22 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Workers should be able to provide references about employers that would then be accessible to prospective workers. This would improve treatment of workers a lot.
It's a nice idea. Trouble is, jobs are tight, and even if you had a bad reference for a company would you still take the job? The person who took NB's job knew the situation, how badly they had treated her - didn't stop them from accepting the role though.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:25 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Spot on. Recruitment and employment is a one way street in Aus.

That will NEVER happen.In fact if you ever have anything bad to say about a lousy company you've worked for it's a bad move.

To NB re original question: Was the person who got the job already employed at the school and better qualified than you are? Regardless of this you are where you are, personally I would carry on doing the volunteer work for a few weeks until you have chance to think things through. In the meantime take as much time off as you need for job interviews regardless as to how inconvenient that may be for them having to get short term cover

Good luck with a new job hunting - sounds like you'll be well shot out of there with that lot mate
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:37 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Spot on. Recruitment and employment is a one way street in Aus.

That will NEVER happen.In fact if you ever have anything bad to say about a lousy company you've worked for it's a bad move.

To NB re original question: Was the person who got the job already employed at the school and better qualified than you are? Regardless of this you are where you are, personally I would carry on doing the volunteer work for a few weeks until you have chance to think things through. In the meantime take as much time off as you need for job interviews regardless as to how inconvenient that may be for them having to get short term cover

Good luck with a new job hunting - sounds like you'll be well shot out of there with that lot mate
I don't know who got the job yet. They were interviewing 5 including me, shortlisted down from 21. An ex-parent applied (a friend of mine) and got an interview too. The Principal said he couldn't tell me who got it yet as they hadn't been told and they had to accept before it went public. 3 complete outsiders were also interviewed.

I am feeling a little better at the mo, probably as I have been drinking since lunchtime! Things will still be shit in the morning and I will have a headache to go with it.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
the panel chair, incidentally who came to my 40th birthday party earlier in the year.
Friendship has nothing to do with the interview panel. I'm not sure how the panel chair coming to your birthday party is relevant to whether you were the best candidate or whether you should have got the job. It's also very possible that she wanted you and was overruled by the other panel members.

I know it's small comfort, but I've been on more than a few interview panels and it's a majority rules thing. The last one I did I really wanted candidate B but the 2 other panel members (one of whom was leaving the department the following week and the other who works in HR off site) voted for candidate A. No matter how much I lobbied for B the one they wanted got the job basically because I was outvoted. The person we hired has turned out to be as much of a problem as I said they would be, but there's very little can be done about it now.

And no, I don't think you are being childish. It's a really shitty thing to have given so much and not get the job. If it were me I would withdraw my volunteer services and tell them that your time is now needed to focus on finding paid employment.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know who got the job yet. They were interviewing 5 including me, shortlisted down from 21. An ex-parent applied (a friend of mine) and got an interview too. The Principal said he couldn't tell me who got it yet as they hadn't been told and they had to accept before it went public. 3 complete outsiders were also interviewed.

I am feeling a little better at the mo, probably as I have been drinking since lunchtime! Things will still be shit in the morning and I will have a headache to go with it.
If it was me I would be feeling pretty gutted.Sounds like you worked hard.However its their loss and it meant to be.Hold your head up high.Ask for a reference.Withdraw your services and look for something new.In time you could end up with a better position and be glad they hadnt selected you.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Friendship has nothing to do with the interview panel. I'm not sure how the panel chair coming to your birthday party is relevant to whether you were the best candidate or whether you should have got the job. It's also very possible that she wanted you and was overruled by the other panel members.

I know it's small comfort, but I've been on more than a few interview panels and it's a majority rules thing. The last one I did I really wanted candidate B but the 2 other panel members (one of whom was leaving the department the following week and the other who works in HR off site) voted for candidate A. No matter how much I lobbied for B the one they wanted got the job basically because I was outvoted. The person we hired has turned out to be as much of a problem as I said they would be, but there's very little can be done about it now.

And no, I don't think you are being childish. It's a really shitty thing to have given so much and not get the job. If it were me I would withdraw my volunteer services and tell them that your time is now needed to focus on finding paid employment.
I know it isn't relevant, I have worked in the public sector for many years both here and the NHS in the UK so am fully aware of how the panel works.

Thanks for your response.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:59 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

At least if you hang fire it gives you time to work out what you want to do next and it's one in the eye for them as they will be expecting you to throw out your dummy, but you can rise above that mate:sunglasses:

Things won't be shit in the morning as you will be giving them the finger (in your head) and moving on to better things. Whenever I've been shat on from a great height I've taken the view it's their loss, not mine and in every circumstance it's worked out to be the best things ever.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Hold your head high, bide your time and don't do them any favours. It always comes good in the end mate
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
At least if you hang fire it gives you time to work out what you want to do next and it's one in the eye for them as they will be expecting you to throw out your dummy, but you can rise above that mate:sunglasses:

Things won't be shit in the morning as you will be giving them the finger (in your head) and moving on to better things. Whenever I've been shat on from a great height I've taken the view it's their loss, not mine and in every circumstance it's worked out to be the best things ever.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Hold your head high, bide your time and don't do them any favours. It always comes good in the end mate
I agree. I've left a couple of jobs because of bad treatment and each time great new opportunities appeared that I would have missed if I had stayed in the job. So this is about opportunities not disaster.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear this. You must be gutted.

BUT it's better to leave with dignity as it's a small world and you never know when things will come back to haunt you. By all means drop the voluntary stuff, but have a reasonable-sounding excuse.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:27 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear about that C. You may have been the best person for the job, but it seems you were not the best person at the interview. This is local government and this is how it is. I should know. I too was doing a very good job at a local government organisation and after 3 years, they offered "my" job up for application. A bloke who had never worked there before walked in off the street to "my" job leaving me high and dry. It still leaves a bitter taste after all these years.

They have to give the job to best interviewee to avoid nepotism and partiality.

My advice would be to leave as soon as you find something else or something better.

So, I have been doing my job for nearly 3 years at the school on a fixed term contract. Job going permanent next year so of course I apply for it. I get an interview but I am 'not the recommended applicant' for the permanent job.

I am heartbroken, dramatic perhaps but I give my heart and soul to that school and can't believe they haven't picked me! In addition to my paid work I run the school uniform shop, sit on the school council and P&C and volunteer regularly in the canteen. My heart is telling me to spit the dummy big time and withdraw all my 'free help' seen as I am not good enough to be paid but my head tells me this is very childish. Thing is though, not sure I can be at school and see someone else doing MY job.

Advice from all you grown ups please
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Afraid to say, i would have spat the dummy not only out of the pram but clean out of the window.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know it isn't relevant, I have worked in the public sector for many years both here and the NHS in the UK so am fully aware of how the panel works.

Thanks for your response.
Been there and been through it several times since I came here. The worst occasion was one when the whole interview process was changed specifically to suit the person the panel chair wanted in the role - different tests and interview structure. We were told it was a change to all future procedures but funnily enough turned out to be a one-off. didn't get the post in spite of having been acting in it for ages, understandably furious but my mentor gave me the best advice - don't let the b*stards know they've got to you. Hold your head high, let them see you dignified in defeat cos they won't expect that. However a touch of memory loss can be expected when asked about handing over certain tasks
And as I've discovered recently - revenge is a dish best served cold - it may take time but your turn will come and you will be able to get your own back, probably in a way you can't even envisage at present.....keep doing the volunteer stuff for instance, and then pick your moment to quit - when it suits you and definitely doesn't suit them

Chin up mate, what goes around comes around, especially in govt jobs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.