Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Active "real" football supporters, what do you do here ?

Active "real" football supporters, what do you do here ?

Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Active "real" football supporters, what do you do here ?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The exact same declines happened in the same time frame with the J league and the MLS.... It's par for the course.... hopefully

They had to start the league in this way so as to shake of the old Ethnic alliances and associated problems that came with that. Sad I know and I actually share your view... Although the problems here were so entrenched that the way this league was started was probably a necessary evil. I couldnt relate to the games I went to in the old NSL in the way I do now in fact it was quite alien.

. To be frank we now have the Aussies on board alongside a huge proportion of UK residents... the more flexible and foward looking ethnic supporters are on board as well.... as evident at MV with the Ethnic fans being most prominent in the North end.... "Flags and Ole's" and the Aussies and UK people down the South End... there are plenty of mature ethnic people down there as well.

Melbourne Heart has attracted a lot of the local Anti Victory people alongside some people that just like the Colour.... They now have over 9,000 paid up members. Bring the total of paid up Football Supporters in Melbourne close to 30,000.
Wollongong Wanderers FC

Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

The exact same declines happened in the same time frame with the J league and the MLS.... It's par for the course.... hopefully

They had to start the league in this way so as to shake of the old Ethnic alliances and associated problems that came with that. Sad I know and I actually share your view... Although the problems here were so entrenched that the way this league was started was probably a necessary evil. I couldnt relate to the games I went to in the old NSL in the way I do now in fact it was quite alien.

. To be frank we now have the Aussies on board alongside a huge proportion of UK residents... the more flexible and foward looking ethnic supporters are on board as well.... as evident at MV with the Ethnic fans being most prominent in the North end.... "Flags and Ole's" and the Aussies and UK people down the South End... there are plenty of mature ethnic people down there as well.

Melbourne Heart has attracted a lot of the local Anti Victory people alongside some people that just like the Colour.... They now have over 9,000 paid up members. Bring the total of paid up Football Supporters in Melbourne close to 30,000.
Good luck to the A-League just don't get your bagging of the English top flight, it's the most popular league in the world and the country is now blessed with some of the finest stadia and that's generally owned and built by the clubs themselves. Look at what Arsenal have achieved at the Emirates.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
With a bit of luck you may get your wish

Wollongong

Further information: South Coast A-League Bid
Many people felt the twice Australian Champions the Wollongong Wolves should be the team from the Illawarra, but according to media reports the Wolves are planning on staying in the NSW Premier League, and are fully supporting a new club for the region. A group known as "Great South Football" are behind the Illawarra bid. Former Wollongong star Scott Chipperfield has thrown his support behind them and Tim Cahill has joined the group, promising to establish a football academy in the region.[17] It has been rumoured the club will be backed by Bruce Gordon, Australia's 14th wealthest person.[18]
Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

With a bit of luck you may get your wish

Wollongong

Further information: South Coast A-League Bid
Many people felt the twice Australian Champions the Wollongong Wolves should be the team from the Illawarra, but according to media reports the Wolves are planning on staying in the NSW Premier League, and are fully supporting a new club for the region. A group known as "Great South Football" are behind the Illawarra bid. Former Wollongong star Scott Chipperfield has thrown his support behind them and Tim Cahill has joined the group, promising to establish a football academy in the region.[17] It has been rumoured the club will be backed by Bruce Gordon, Australia's 14th wealthest person.[18]
If it came to pass then I would definitely give it a go.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Good luck to the A-League just don't get your bagging of the English top flight, it's the most popular league in the world and the country is now blessed with some of the finest stadia and that's generally owned and built by the clubs themselves. Look at what Arsenal have achieved at the Emirates.
I dont mind Arsenal personally. However I can point out a couple of negatives that possibly outweigh the positives. First team to field a all non English team against my team I believe ?.... Atmosphere is compared to a mourge at times... it never used to be like that.. Having said that I have had some good times at Highbury... most notably going along with my Workmate who's father was the Publican at the pub across the road. Other Arsenal notables for me... Wettest I've ever been at a football match... Wore a sheepskin 3/4 length coat to a game way back in the 70's... It was like a sodden towell by the end of the day. It was a real effort to stand upright by the time I got back to Forest Hill. Funny how a football teams name can trigger random memories.

Creature... great to hear

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 8th 2012 at 7:17 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 7:12 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Leicester City fan (booooo ssssss at Polly). When I went to uni in Derby and then lived in Northampton I would go to probably a dozen games every season.

Since I've been in Aus I didn't really follow any team here. The first thing I still do on Sunday mornings is to check how the Foxes went overnight. When the A-League started I went to a few QLD Roar games but the quality used to piss me off. It used to really annoy me because I knew that once upon a time I could have probably done better than them. But in the last few years the A-League has really picked up and the quality now I reckon is close to British Championship level. My son and I both have season ticket to the Brisbane Roar now and he is absolutely obsessed. He knows all of the names of the players and in which games they scored. He also reminds me when they are playing so we can check results when playing away. All this from a 6 year old!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I'm a Leicester City fan (booooo ssssss at Polly). When I went to uni in Derby and then lived in Northampton I would go to probably a dozen games every season.
NOOOOOOOO

I wasn't gonna post till i read that! I can honestly say I've followed Forest since 1971 with varying degrees of passion! I don't fall into Ozzie's category of being a real fan as I've only seen them live twice -cue girly excuses.......Most of my life I lived on the south coast, too far to travel, and not a very inspiring prospect going all the way on my own, specially as I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, not the most peaceful era for football. Never had a football-loving other half and through most of the 90s I was too ill for a trip halfway up the country)

When I came here my fiance made it clear that he didn't like football & had no intention of letting me watch it cos it bored him. Overnight matches were out cos the TV would wake him up So I tried to fit in and like Aussie sports, but that and the marriage failed miserably and when i was free again I found I still had my love of football.
So now I'm a regular at the local UK football pubs, get up at silly o'clock to watch matches and listen to every Forest game online. Must be harder if you have a family to consider but it really has given me a new lease of life. Old feuds with mates from years ago are re-ignited, and yet again I have a best mate who worships at Elland Road (weird how Fate goes isn't it). Said mate will no doubt rubbish me later for being an armchair supporter but its a big part of my life, and I love it!

I don't think anyone should be criticised for their ways of supporting a team, as long as they have more commitment than just picking their team for the sake of something to do. We all have different lives and our passions have to fit in with everything else. I wouldn't mind trying A League matches I freely admit, but I would never give up the "real" game
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:43 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
NOOOOOOOO

I wasn't gonna post till i read that! I can honestly say I've followed Forest since 1971 with varying degrees of passion! I don't fall into Ozzie's category of being a real fan as I've only seen them live twice -cue girly excuses.......Most of my life I lived on the south coast, too far to travel, and not a very inspiring prospect going all the way on my own, specially as I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, not the most peaceful era for football. Never had a football-loving other half and through most of the 90s I was too ill for a trip halfway up the country)

When I came here my fiance made it clear that he didn't like football & had no intention of letting me watch it cos it bored him. Overnight matches were out cos the TV would wake him up So I tried to fit in and like Aussie sports, but that and the marriage failed miserably and when i was free again I found I still had my love of football.
So now I'm a regular at the local UK football pubs, get up at silly o'clock to watch matches and listen to every Forest game online. Must be harder if you have a family to consider but it really has given me a new lease of life. Old feuds with mates from years ago are re-ignited, and yet again I have a best mate who worships at Elland Road (weird how Fate goes isn't it). Said mate will no doubt rubbish me later for being an armchair supporter but its a big part of my life, and I love it!

I don't think anyone should be criticised for their ways of supporting a team, as long as they have more commitment than just picking their team for the sake of something to do. We all have different lives and our passions have to fit in with everything else. I wouldn't mind trying A League matches I freely admit, but I would never give up the "real" game
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:44 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
You took yer time finding it
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:52 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

You took yer time finding it
Was just curious why YOU were on the thread
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:54 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders

Since I've been in Aus I didn't really follow any team here. The first thing I still do on Sunday mornings is to check how the Foxes went overnight. When the A-League started I went to a few QLD Roar games but the quality used to piss me off. It used to really annoy me because I knew that once upon a time I could have probably done better than them. But in the last few years the A-League has really picked up and the quality now I reckon is close to British Championship level. My son and I both have season ticket to the Brisbane Roar now and he is absolutely obsessed. He knows all of the names of the players and in which games they scored. He also reminds me when they are playing so we can check results when playing away. All this from a 6 year old!
you've been smoking crack again aint ya?
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:56 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
He's a Leicester fan, they can't help it
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:57 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

He's a Leicester fan, they can't help it
Old Jan 8th 2012, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
It's definitely better standard than the Scottish league and a far better/fairer competition.. I think you'll find most football pundits will agree that the A league standard is somewhere between League one and the Championship... which is a lot higher than it has been.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So how do armchair supporters help / Support their clubs. ? What do they do to aide teams like Leeds/Leciester/Forest ? There's a very strong political view amongst Football fans that watching via Foxtel/Sky is killing that level of football.

BTW in terms of actual paying patrons the Football Premiership is no where near the top league. 1st spot goes to the Bundesleague in that one. When the Euro League takes hold and Sky switches sponsorship there are going to a lot of ex Premier league clubs with debts up to their eyeballs and not able to recover.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 8th 2012 at 11:13 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.