Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

An Aboriginal day today

An Aboriginal day today

Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:37 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default An Aboriginal day today

Today I was in the post office in between bouts on BE where I heard a couple saying "F'ing horrible today, It's an aboriginal day", I asked what an aboriginal day was and they told me it was a black day!

And you know what, for some reason it didn't shock me at all.... I think I've been here way too long now.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Aboriginal day today

Presumably if they had said it was an abbo day that would have been racist
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by arkon
Today I was in the post office in between bouts on BE where I heard a couple saying "F'ing horrible today, It's an aboriginal day", I asked what an aboriginal day was and they told me it was a black day!

And you know what, for some reason it didn't shock me at all.... I think I've been here way too long now.
~never ever heard of that in all my life...!!!

where in Australia are you..???
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Words actually fail me....
You really are in redneck centreville arent you.
I did come across some really bad comments like that when I was in Tassie & Cooktown, it was unbelievable. Actually in Sydney, one racist toss at work bought a parody of the 'apology to Aboriginies' to show me how funny it was - made my blood boil. I'd forgotten that.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:07 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Words actually fail me....
You really are in redneck centreville arent you.
I did come across some really bad comments like that when I was in Tassie & Cooktown, it was unbelievable. Actually in Sydney, one racist toss at work bought a parody of the 'apology to Aboriginies' to show me how funny it was - made my blood boil. I'd forgotten that.
It wasn't so much what they said as how they said it. The same as if I said to you it's raining cats and dogs. Like I say, I'm now used to it, they just don't see anything wrong with it. Also today on the telly was a sketch where someone was asking what's the difference between a naked aboriginal and a china man, The answer was nothing except the china man has a smaller willy.

In the beggining I used to get all shocked when I hear things like this come out so easily but now it's like part of normal everyday speech.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:07 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
~never ever heard of that in all my life...!!!

where in Australia are you..???
Mid north coast NSW.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:32 am
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

I heard the expression once that one of my colleagues wanted to "crack a darkie" when I enquired in to what it meant I was told that it is something one says when one is irritated at something or someone.
In days gone by a white man would go out and hit an Aboriginal to take out his aggression. Therefore he cracked a darkie.

Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:32 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Mid north coast NSW.
this is the bad isn't it? i have been here on and off 20 years and lived/worked in many areas and worked directly with indigenous people all over. yes it makes my blood boil too. I have had an "aboriginal day" which means for me visiting aboriginal families with an aboriginal worker. my picture is of great hope for the future. aboriginal women are strong and they will lead the way for us all. aboriginal children are amazing i have delivered aboriginal babies and they are sooo very different to white babies. they are born with superior cognitive and physical ability, they are like a three month old at birth, it really is incredible. They are bright and intelligent. it makes me cry too see what is happening every day throughout australia. I was talking to a prominent aboriginal elder today and she told me what life was like on a mission when she was a child (not that long ago) it was basically run like a religious concentration camp and they weren't allowed out. words can't describe how it makes me feel. I believe i am here in australia for a purpose and this is it.
For anyone who lives here in aus stand up and say what you think... racist should be really ashamed of themselves... anyone who is coming to live here.... research and find out about it and also stand up for the people who need someone to stick up for them... a good future will be where we can share our knowledge.. respect each other and especially respect women
see for recent info re abuse http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/
and an action group http://www.getup.org.au/
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:34 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in QLD I heard an Aussie bloke say that the 'Abbos should p*** off back to their own country and leave Australia to the white man'.

I was so tempted to say 'Since when did the white man become superior to others?'

Makes you ashamed.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

down under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nice

Originally Posted by why
this is the bad isn't it? i have been here on and off 20 years and lived/worked in many areas and worked directly with indigenous people all over. yes it makes my blood boil too. I have had an "aboriginal day" which means for me visiting aboriginal families with an aboriginal worker. my picture is of great hope for the future. aboriginal women are strong and they will lead the way for us all. aboriginal children are amazing i have delivered aboriginal babies and they are sooo very different to white babies. they are born with superior cognitive and physical ability, they are like a three month old at birth, it really is incredible. They are bright and intelligent. it makes me cry too see what is happening every day throughout australia. I was talking to a prominent aboriginal elder today and she told me what life was like on a mission when she was a child (not that long ago) it was basically run like a religious concentration camp and they weren't allowed out. words can't describe how it makes me feel. I believe i am here in australia for a purpose and this is it.
For anyone who lives here in aus stand up and say what you think... racist should be really ashamed of themselves... anyone who is coming to live here.... research and find out about it and also stand up for the people who need someone to stick up for them... a good future will be where we can share our knowledge.. respect each other and especially respect women
see for recent info re abuse http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/
and an action group http://www.getup.org.au/
the sad thing is,how many ppl reading this post had a laugh
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:52 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
i have delivered aboriginal babies and they are sooo very different to white babies. they are born with superior cognitive and physical ability, they are like a three month old at birth, it really is incredible. They are bright and intelligent.
now if you said that white babies were superior in some areas that would be classed as racist
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:00 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
now if you said that white babies were superior in some areas that would be classed as racist
that doesn't mean anything does it? and not worth saying
so say something that means something....... like........ "got me visa.... off on thursday...can't wait"....... that's what this place is for.......isn'tit !
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:03 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

a woman once asked me what i thought of "they abbos trying to spoil australia day"
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:05 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
that doesn't mean anything does it? and not worth saying
so say something that means something....... like........ "got me visa.... off on thursday...can't wait"....... that's what this place is for.......isn'tit !

so your posts are of more 'value' than mine ?

Knackers to ya
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Sorry about this. Please know not all Aussies are like this but some definately are, sorry, although those guys sound really quite far gone!!

Anyway, lead the way by your own positive example and try not to worry about Bohemians. It's too easy to stereotype others. It takes class to give it some more thought and step outside your own values and mental framework for more than a millisecond. So, I apologise for those who dont ever have a spare millisecond.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.