70 hours a week

Old Aug 14th 2011, 11:11 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 70 hours a week

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I've been so busy working that I missed this thread.
Actually I was lying...I had to do 90 minutes yesterday.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Actually I was lying...I had to do 90 minutes yesterday.
Talking to yourself. You've been back too long.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:22 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Talking to yourself. You've been back too long.
Hairs on palms of hands.....
Old Aug 14th 2011, 3:23 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like Chris has had a stellar change in fortunes since he was in Perth, he did seem very motivated and driven though.

I can understand your lonelyness though at times.

Better than being desperate for a job.

Dave
Old Aug 14th 2011, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
That's how many hours my OH works on good week, I just never see him. I saw his contract it said start at 8:30 finish 5:30
He starts on good days at 7 am & finishes around 7:30 pm, of course he doesn't get overtime, well fed up with it, who said Australia has laid back attuide cause I never seen it.

Be honest how many hours a week do you work on average?
Partner always does really long hours in construction. They start at 7, but building site opens at 6, and he locks up usually about 5. Plus on many sites they open saturday so its easily 60 hours a week. But in construction you often have to travel so hes at times had a 2/3 hour drive on top each day

Luckily latest project is 5 mins from home, but it ends soon and its commute again.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
That's how many hours my OH works on good week, I just never see him. I saw his contract it said start at 8:30 finish 5:30
He starts on good days at 7 am & finishes around 7:30 pm, of course he doesn't get overtime, well fed up with it, who said Australia has laid back attuide cause I never seen it.

Be honest how many hours a week do you work on average?
Partner always does really long hours in construction. They start at 7, but building site opens at 6, and he locks up usually about 5. Plus on many sites they open saturday so its easily 60 hours a week. But in construction you often have to travel so hes at times had a 2/3 hour drive on top each day

Luckily latest project is 5 mins from home, but it ends soon and its commute again.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 11:53 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

There was a while back in '96 when I did 70 hour weeks (unpaid overtime)... I was based in London, but doing the weekly commute to Brussels.

Then I returned to a nice comfortable <40 hours a week for a few years. Moved here to Brisbane and continued on sub 40hr weeks.

Now however, I find myself in a role where once again the number of unpaid hours I do goes through the roof and I've been doing 60 hours weeks for 3 years now. Thats 40 hours in the office and about 20 at home supposedly 'on call' - but with sufficient burden that some days I get out of bed at 7am for the first caller of the day and barely manage to get dressed and eat three meals between subsequent calls before its 10:30pm and I can turn the pager off. I DESPISE public holidays, because theres a 20% change that any public holiday I have to work a 16 hour unpaid day. I've even taken to carefully planning my annual leave to maximise the number of weekends and public holidays I'm "out of the country" for - just to reduce the amount of time I'm on call.

This easter for example in a masterstroke I managed to get 11 days of not being on call all for the bargain price of just 4 days annual leave thanks to the freakish concentration of public holidays. Of course some of my work colleagues got completely shafted and had to cover for me and the 2 others who took holiday at the same time .... (We are a team of 5 who share the out of hours tech support burden)
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beware the clause in the contract " Hours as required " seems to crop up a lot in higher paid contracts/salary.

Also seen 'Reasonable extra hours" - unpaid of course. Usually means anything but reasonable.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't do it. There will be a job out there with a similar salary that won't require it.

Anyone regularly working upwards of 50hrs a week needs to re-evaluate their priorities.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:50 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Just don't do it. There will be a job out there with a similar salary that won't require it.

Anyone regularly working upwards of 50hrs a week needs to re-evaluate their priorities.
You'd think so wouldnt you? But I've been looking (without any sense of urgency) for 2 years now. It seems the combination of my very relaxed and enjoyable 40 hours a week in the office, where I write my own job description, define my own lax quarterly targets, am strangely well respected throughout the organisation and the enviable 10 minute commute makes it VERY hard to find a replacement job that improves the 'overall' package.

Perhaps the burden of those extra 20 hours a week isnt as grim as they first seem? (We do have good weeks and bad weeks - and sometime those 20 hours of being 'on call' actually mean nothing more than half a dozen momentary interuptions to what I'm watching on the TV)

Or perhaps like some of my colleagues I have become institutionalised and have given up my 'rage against the machine'?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Beware the clause in the contract " Hours as required " seems to crop up a lot in higher paid contracts/salary.

Also seen 'Reasonable extra hours" - unpaid of course. Usually means anything but reasonable.
Funny enough he was telling me how he wished he could cut down the hours he does but he said he never has enough time in a day to finish what he started to do on his daily list as they have so much jobs going at the same time & more works coming in but he tells me there others who stay in the office longer than he is.

Well I won't see him at all this week he is off to Melbourne.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777

I doubt very much that I would find a job with a similiar salary that would not stipulate "hours as required". I have not seen or heard of one yet anyway.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

According to my timesheet I've not gone over 40hrs yet. Often worked more in the uk. No one here seems to do more than standard hours. But I was in for another job where I would have ended up with long hours but this one got in first. It's a city work though and I expect longer hours as I would in London or NY. Would never have thought otherwise.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could work 70 hours a week
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I doubt very much that I would find a job with a similiar salary that would not stipulate "hours as required". I have not seen or heard of one yet anyway.
Really? My husband has had a career full of jobs without that stipulation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.