Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

7 days in Sarf London

Wikiposts

7 days in Sarf London

Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:36 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 days in Sarf London

Originally Posted by Amazulu
uh uh
Ah i like it when you speak the saffer lingo.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Ah i like it when you speak the saffer lingo.
uh uh
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Yeah I know, but Salford is still referred to as being in "Greater Manchester". I had the unfortunate experience of going to uni in Salford.
So did I.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Several generations of part of my family came from Salford. And my dad used to be the City Engineer.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
Several generations of part of my family came from Salford. And my dad used to be the City Engineer.

Ahh so now we know who to blame
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Ahh so now we know who to blame
And would you believe that my granny used to work for Salford Police?

SorryTE, just passing time till your next episode.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 10:15 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

13 days in London and 1 travelling to the Shetlands .....

Huge identifiable accent difference in just a short journey. I'm now with the friendly singsongy Scottish

Shopping seems like a bring and buy sale - big piles of stuff with Bogof deals meaning you end up with double the amount you need

Bright orange fake tan girls are relatively common

Condiments are present on tables - ketchup, colmans, daddy's and sarsons

Cold toilet seats are oddly arousing

The Dyson trouser press hand dryers turn your hands into shapeshifters

Big gangs of 30s blokes drinking pints at airports on their way to stag parties in Scandinavia

Flights from Aberdeen now include places like Azerbaijan

You can buy a big selection of sandwiches without having to peel out a mechanically recovered slice of 'ham' to chuck away

Day time tv can be viewed without an interview or photo scene with Miranda Kerr - Australian model and a la mode femme after Cate Blanchett disgraced herself by believing in climate change

A strange realisation came over me earlier that I hadn't heard Roxette or Bon Jovi for a couple of weeks

Betting screens are once again the domain of seedy losers in Bookies rather than pubs

Cold air / hot bath is a great combination

Bumble bees

Single figure weather forecasts look like typos

Grass is nice, lush and carpety - you can walk over it without fear of cane toads and snakes

Food can be left out of the refridgerater and put into cupboards

Engelbert Humperdink is doing the Uk Eurovision entry

Things are unregulated - it takes a few days to shirk off Aussie regulation - that you're doing something naughty re: jay walking, where you can drink, where you can smoke. Buying alcohol at supermarkets and corner shops feels delightfully decadent

Stiff nipples - for the first time in a year

Most 35+ women are derma-filled and botoxed. On television everyone looks slim and younger

There are lots of new varieties of chocolate. The minstrels without cases that seemed such a lucky dip coup when eating a bag of Revels are now available in a bag of their own. They're no longer as yummy in the Revels however.

The return of the good sturdy stiff upper lip British plug (with pins that don't bend and stay in the wall).

Chairs and tables are made of wood and cushioning - not plastic and chrome. They don't scrape when people stand up or wobble relentlessly

Brits landing at airports after holidays will wear virtually nothing as long as is humanly possible.

I feel re-sexualised. I thought I'd lost my mojo but with a cornucopia of clean shaven men in suits able to hold a conversation it's back (looking only of course)

I still don't understand the weather forecasts with the big moving ellipses

Sunbed sessions are advertised

There is a baffling amount of cold remedies for sale

Worms - little pieces of pink dead worms on pavements

Emergency 'improvement' works have taken the place of emergency 'repair' works on London transport

Everywhere seems to have a loyalty card. Chemists, supermarkets, pubs, coffee shops, book shops etc

High percentage of ethnic minorities on tv - news readers, weather forecasters and programme presenters. Is this the same as Oz - not having bothered with a tv ariel I don't know.

One glimmer of sunshine and the pub gardens are rammed with people - dusted off raybans sitting outside in the cold

Leaves on plants are small

There's a big media focus on Kate Middleton - having not heard her speak before
I can report she sounds haughty with clipped vowels.

There are virtually no public toilets in London (for fear of terrorism/cottaging)

Accordingly every corner of every subway smells strongly of wee

Homeless people engage my sympathy again now I am resensitised/have time to think

People openly conserve energy - cycling schemes, tiny eco cars, fair trade everything, carbon neutral products

The Thames is a rancid cess pool of brown water and rubbish

Eavesdropping on conversations there is a real spectrum of articulation - bordering on virtually unintelligible street speak to amazingly erudite conversation.

I still want to kill 'living statues'

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Mar 22nd 2012 at 11:35 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:11 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

how much a kilo of bananers?
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer

Bright orange fake tan girls are relatively common
Great double entendre there
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 2:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Those hand dryers are fab. Bumble bees in March?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 2:45 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Those hand dryers are fab. Bumble bees in March?
Yes. Not in the Shetlands but plenty in London. Too early?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 2:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I just have visions of summer days and buzzing but I've no idea really.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 2:53 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

just quite right

Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I must try and remember to do a similar list next week
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Awww... Doubly home sick now....

You couldnt bring one of them stiff british upper lip plugs back for me could you? Mine appears to have gone and me bottom lip keeps wobbling....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.