Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

60 Minutes and the 'Child Abduction' case.

60 Minutes and the 'Child Abduction' case.

Old Apr 15th 2016, 3:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default 60 Minutes and the 'Child Abduction' case.

What do people think about this?

I've read several cases in the past where children have been taken to the Middle East or the Indian subcontinent by a parent on the pretext of 'holidays' and then never been brought home again - and I'm also aware of cases where the children are taken to other countries against the wishes of one parent, I know its not always an eastern issue.

Should the TV crew have got involved in this one, to this extent? Are they now getting their just desserts?
And should the Australian government be getting involved- where will it leave them in future cases if they support the actions of the TV crew?

One thing I don't understand is - if the courts in Australia had made a ruling saying that it would be legal to get the children back - why wasn't it registered in lebanon to allow her, with police backing, to do just that? Can anyone interpret that one for me?

=============================
60 Minutes: Mother pleads with husband to drop Lebanon child abduction charges in exchange for custody - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Australian mother Sally Faulkner has asked estranged husband Ali el-Amien to drop Lebanese abduction charges against her in exchange for her renouncing all claims to custody and cooperating in getting a divorce.
Ms Faulkner and four members of a Channel Nine 60 Minutes crew were among a group of people arrested after an attempt to take Ms Faulkner's two children off the streets of the capital, Beirut.

If Mr el-Amien agrees to drop the charges, Ms Faulkner will give up sole custody granted to her by the Family Court in Australia.

The Australian Family Court ruling, granted on December 15, even allowed Australian police or agents appointed by Ms Faulkner to get her children back — but she did not register it in Lebanon.

Ms Faulkner's Lebanese lawyer Ghassan Moghabghab said: "It's a very strong judgement and we are sorry that it's not being used .

"Especially when you read the articles of the judgement, it was obviously 100 per cent to her favour."
Old Apr 15th 2016, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 60 Minutes and the 'Child Abduction' case.

Not really enough information to comment to be honest. Where they taken to Lebanon on the pretext of a holiday? Or were they legitimately living there, perhaps with their mother as well at one point? If they were living there legitimately, then it is not up to Australian courts to say they should be returned to Australia. In this case she is not really in a position to strike a bargain but should probably consider herself pretty fortunate if it is agreed to.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 5:05 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Not really enough information to comment to be honest. Where they taken to Lebanon on the pretext of a holiday? Or were they legitimately living there, perhaps with their mother as well at one point? If they were living there legitimately, then it is not up to Australian courts to say they should be returned to Australia. In this case she is not really in a position to strike a bargain but should probably consider herself pretty fortunate if it is agreed to.
I aree there has to be a lot more to it than in the mainstream media.
Bit bemused by the TV crew getting so openly involved, to be honest. I've seen documentaries, and read books,by people in similar situations, and even when there was a contract floating around it has always looked like the media kept their distance. I just cannot understand why this crew leapt in with cameras blazing - and possibly thereby drew official attention to the case.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

If Channel 9 suffer from this, they won't get my sympathy.

A network who attempt to sell the own worthless stars on the bogan. The poor bogan just doesn't know any better.

Channel 9 are cheap organisation who have one formula - hook the bogan, keep them hooked, by trying to embed other average bogans into their homes. Good to see the footy show ratings on the floor too.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 9:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we could be told the entire truth in cases such as this. If Ms Faulkner really did have a good chance of getting her kids back with the help of the AFP (due to the Family court ruling), then why the hell would she take the risk of involving the media and an overseas based 'professional' group of child recovery workers, or whatever they're called?

I feel really sorry for her. To have your children taken away, especially when they're so young, must be heartbreaking. But by far the primary consideration shouldn't be for the Mum, or the Dad, but for the kids. For their physical and emotional well-being, for their education and for their future.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 9:45 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
But by far the primary consideration shouldn't be for the Mum, or the Dad, but for the kids. For their physical and emotional well-being, for their education and for their future.
Yep. And subjecting them to a kidnapping attempt doesn't really seem to be about that. The terror those children must have felt ...
Old Apr 15th 2016, 10:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One thing I don't understand is - if the courts in Australia had made a ruling saying that it would be legal to get the children back - why wasn't it registered in lebanon to allow her, with police backing, to do just that?
This briefly made the news here.
Yes. The puzzle is why wasn't it registered as it should have been/
Old Apr 16th 2016, 12:23 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One thing I don't understand is - if the courts in Australia had made a ruling saying that it would be legal to get the children back - why wasn't it registered in lebanon to allow her, with police backing, to do just that? Can anyone interpret that one for me?
As I understand it lebanon, and most of the middle east, etc. are not signatories to the Hague Convention (the agreement on kids and court orders). They also tend to favour the husband over the wife, in contrast to western court that favour the wife over the husband. They obviously would also tend to favour the national over the foreigner, particularly since the husband also had a Shia court order in HIS favour; it's certainly not clear cut.

As such, I get the feeling the Australia court ruling would have been ignored, which is probably why it wasn't bought before the court (so they wouldn't rule, so any recovery of the kids wouldn't be against a lebanon court order). You can see a reasonable logic to it - if you can grab the kids successfully.

Seems like possession is 9/10th of the law in international kid cases.

Last edited by GarryP; Apr 16th 2016 at 12:46 am.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 8:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think the Australian government would do if it were a Lebanese father who came onto the streets of Sydney with a group of "professional" child recovery operators and a television crew, cameras blazing, and tried to take his children from their Australian mother?

No, I have no sympathy for the predicament this news crew or this woman find themselves in at all. It was foolish to say the very least. As someone else said, imagine how those poor children felt with an attempted abduction on the streets.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 9:56 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What do you think the Australian government would do if it were a Lebanese father who came onto the streets of Sydney with a group of "professional" child recovery operators and a television crew, cameras blazing, and tried to take his children from their Australian mother?

No, I have no sympathy for the predicament this news crew or this woman find themselves in at all. It was foolish to say the very least. As someone else said, imagine how those poor children felt with an attempted abduction on the streets.
Poor kids must have been terrified.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
As I understand it lebanon, and most of the middle east, etc. are not signatories to the Hague Convention (the agreement on kids and court orders). They also tend to favour the husband over the wife, in contrast to western court that favour the wife over the husband. They obviously would also tend to favour the national over the foreigner, particularly since the husband also had a Shia court order in HIS favour; it's certainly not clear cut.

As such, I get the feeling the Australia court ruling would have been ignored, which is probably why it wasn't bought before the court (so they wouldn't rule, so any recovery of the kids wouldn't be against a lebanon court order). You can see a reasonable logic to it - if you can grab the kids successfully.

Seems like possession is 9/10th of the law in international kid cases.
Yep, that's exactly why women have to go to crazy lengths to try and get their kids back from the middle eastern partners - a mother has no rights to her kids. So many stories when I was living in the Middle East, one kiwi mum who lost her husband had to flee the country in the middle of the night with her kids because her deceased husband's family were going to take the kids off her. One British mum was jailed and had her kids taken off her because she was apparently having an affair, meanwhile the husband was hanging at the local pool with his pregnant young bit on the side and his kids while mum rots in jail. And it's not just locals, if my ex had died while we were there and there was no formal documentation in place from him to say that he gave me permission to have my own children, they would have been placed in to foster care until his closest male relative could come and retrieve them.

As to whether 60 Minutes should have gotten involved, who knows, they'll do anything for ratings, but if I was the mother and could talk them into doing it for me, I would.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
... women have to go to crazy lengths to try and get their kids back from the middle eastern partners - a mother has no rights to her kids.
But surely the women know that when they go into such a marriage! Or are they all stupid? Surely they deserve to be jailed for child neglect...
Old Apr 17th 2016, 11:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
But surely the women know that when they go into such a marriage! Or are they all stupid? Surely they deserve to be jailed for child neglect...
Eh? A man removes his kids and denies their mother any contact at all, and the woman deserves to be jailed for child neglect? Not to put too fine a point on it, that's bollocks.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch .... You could be in trouble now.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 11:48 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

But the men who marry these stupid women know they're marrying an idiot, so they must be really, really stupid. Particularly knowing they're putting their children at risk of being abducted by the mother. They deserve to be jailed for child endangerment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.