Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

1st time house buyers in UK...

1st time house buyers in UK...

Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:08 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1st time house buyers in UK...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8454455.stm
Originally Posted by bbc
Property is now affordable for first-time buyers in nearly four out of 10 areas of the UK.

Cold comfort for Graham Saunders, 28, and his girlfriend Carlie Shaw, 30, who are would-be first-time buyers from Crewe.

They have a combined annual income of £48,000.

"According to an online mortgage calculator, we could afford, if we stretched ourselves, repayments on a mortgage of up to £180,000," says Mr Saunders.

"We can more than afford to pay a mortgage, but we can't get together a deposit. The lowest amount we've been quoted is 20% and the highest 35%.

"Even if we were thinking of buying a £100,000 property that's still a minimum of £25,000 we're expected to save. It's impossible."

Perhaps I am missing something obvious or maybe someone in the UK can enlighten me. Why can't this couple save up the 20k ?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st time house buyers in UK...

Originally Posted by asprilla

Perhaps I am missing something obvious or maybe someone in the UK can enlighten me. Why can't this couple save up the 20k ?
It does seem odd as they can 'more than afford to pay a mortgage.'
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

I think someone should enlighten them anyway my answer is no way would I give them a morgage in the first place there bank is right how are they going to commit to a morgage if the cant save now.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:34 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Because to suggest actually going without and saving in today's society would just not be acceptable.

We struggled to get our first deposit together and crapped ourselves that we would be able to pay the mortgage. Some people seem to think that today's situation is somehow new.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate that attitude - save for something when some bank/building society will lend it to me and I can pay forever? Why would I do that!!! Some people seriously believe that and it's just wrong.

If we can't afford something we don't get it, simple. We want something, we save for it. A mortgage is obviously different but we've still saved like lunatics to pay as much as possible up front.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

we struggled saving as rents were so high . . . But if we had a mortgage the monthly payments would be a decent whack lower than the rent we pay now. So if we had a mortgage we would be able to afford it much more then our current rent!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:35 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iolande
we struggled saving as rents were so high . . . But if we had a mortgage the monthly payments would be a decent whack lower than the rent we pay now. So if we had a mortgage we would be able to afford it much more then our current rent!
in australia it is generally the other way round. Renting is usually far cheaper than paying a mortgage.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

in australia it is generally the other way round. Renting is usually far cheaper than paying a mortgage.
We're finding that a mortgage at 6% for a 3-bed townhouse at $300,000 is going to be around $1300 a month to pay off. Rent is around $300 a week for the same. (We are on the Gold Coast now). But . . . and this is a big but. The mortgage will get us something in good condition, the rental properties we have seen don't seem be kept anywhere as well.

The only difference is that we would have to pay body corporate and council rates on top of the mortgage, so here it is looking a bit more expensive to buy. At least after 30 years we will get something back!
Old Jan 17th 2010, 3:12 am
Account Open

We're finding that a mortgage at 6% for a 3-bed townhouse at $300,000 is going to be around $1300 a month to pay off. Rent is around $300 a week for the same. (We are on the Gold Coast now). But . . . and this is a big but. The mortgage will get us something in good condition, the rental properties we have seen don't seem be kept anywhere as well.

The only difference is that we would have to pay body corporate and council rates on top of the mortgage, so here it is looking a bit more expensive to buy. At least after 30 years we will get something back!
I just had a quick look at the mortgage calculator, it says $1798 per month for a $300k loan over 30yrs at 6%. Definitely far more expensive than renting.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

oh - I was just quoting what the guy at ANZ told us.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:22 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I hate that attitude - save for something when some bank/building society will lend it to me and I can pay forever? Why would I do that!!! Some people seriously believe that and it's just wrong.

If we can't afford something we don't get it, simple. We want something, we save for it. A mortgage is obviously different but we've still saved like lunatics to pay as much as possible up front.
Why should they have to pay the bank 30% deposit though?

Last edited by Lord_Farquar; Jan 17th 2010 at 4:41 am.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I am missing something obvious or maybe someone in the UK can enlighten me.
Not sure why you'd need a UK based explanation...surely the same mentality exists here, where in fact first home buyers are simply handed cash on a silver plate. I'd hazard a guess that low deposit home loans are currently much more attainable in Australia as well.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:02 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Not sure why you'd need a UK based explanation...surely the same mentality exists here, where in fact first home buyers are simply handed cash on a silver plate. I'd hazard a guess that low deposit home loans are currently much more attainable in Australia as well.
Let's not forget the Government(s) actually encourages first time home buyers to spend their cash.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds good, in 10 years time, assuming interest rates don't vary massively you'll probably find your mortgage a lot cheaper than the rent cost for the same type of place given that rent tend to be subject to inflation.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:15 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by bcworld
Not sure why you'd need a UK based explanation...
I have never noticed any equivalent stories in the papers over here (couple earning $80k between them want a $180k mortgage, but they can't save up e.g. $35k cash). I believe a uk based explanation is required for this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.