Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

1st interview in 13 years any tips please?

1st interview in 13 years any tips please?

Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about
Default 1st interview in 13 years any tips please?

I have my first interview in 13 years and also my first in Australia on Thursday and the nerves are starting to kick in.

The job is in an admin role in the local hospital.

Anyone have any tips please?

Thanks

Sonya
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:18 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1st interview in 13 years any tips please?

Stay calm and just confident enough not to seem cocky.

And you have started with the right attitude asking the question as remember
the P's

Proper
Preperation
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance

GOOD LUCK

Dougie
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

First of all - well done reaching the interview stage. You have already proved that you are worthy of consideration.

Now imagine you were trying to persade someone to employ your best friend or your daughter:

You would tell them why they would be suited to the job.

Same applies for yourself - tell them you want the job, smile and say that you are confident you can do this and enjoy doing it.

Good Luck xx
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:39 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Top up your 'O' levels ... B's & the odd 'A' should do it.

Embelish everything you've ever done ...

Try a gangsta rapper handshake at the start of the interview.

Tell them you're 'only innit for the moolah' ...

Jobs a good 'un.

Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:54 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

As the job is at a hospital will have an HR dept and probably formal recruiting procedures which includes interviewing.
The method these days is competency based interviewing. They will have established what competencies they are looking for for the role/person.
To establish this the questions will typically be "closed" - that is not hypothetical. For example they wouldn't ask "What would you do if....." but "Can you give me an example of when....."
So think about the skills required for the job and examples you have from your past proving you have these skills. Even if they ask open questions, answering with examples is far more powerful that hypotheticals - anyone can give these but there is no substitute for experience.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:42 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Last week I had my first interview in 7 years and my first panel (4 people) interview in, um, about 25!

I decided to be me. I researched the organisation, I knew roughly what the questions would be - set questions for all interviewees based on selection criteria, they told me in advance, and I'd already submiited a thesis on those but I didn't want to seem scripted so didn't rehearse as such. It worked.

Be yourself. Don't undersell yourself (Brits are good at that), but don't say you can do anything you can't - if you get the job you'll look a complete arse. Don't say you can't do anything, though - say you are a quick learner, adaptable, flexible, "can do" attitude, etc., instead.

Good tips on the examples - I got a few of those questions, too.

A little bit of nervousness is good, gets the adrenaline flowing. Best of luck!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:33 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I think research, dressing nicely etc is worth it. I also think here its a bit more relaxed so I take my time to ensure I seem friendly, down to earth, knowledgeable and efficient.

I would usually make a list of key things that regardless of what they want - I want them to know. I get these titbits into answers to other questions.

I have done heaps of interviews so I go a bit further in that I knwo the type of questions that I may be asked and I turn every negative into a positive - oh so do you have holiday booked "yes I do, I am only taking 2 weeks now, I am very much looking forward to a recharge - the last project I worked on was very intense. We managed to turn around a project that was X days behind schedule.... - go on to detail success"

I dont do negatives at all. If I want to discuss holidays, when I cant work, things I cant do, I wait until I have the job and am considering accepting or if it can wait, until I start the job and they have committed.

The other thing I always do is have my resume copy, some references and a letter saying something like

thank you for the opportunity to attend an interview today. I would just like to reiterate my interest in the position available. blah blah

please find enclosed my references should you require them

I post this in the post box nearest as I leave the building. That way if I am not fresh in their mind, then I give them a "me boost" next day when they may be doing the considerations.

Good luck, just relax, wear nice perfume, clean your shoes , smile and if you dont get it - it will be GREAT practice for next time.

keeping it all crossed for you

Vivienne
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:15 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

As somebody more used to being on the other side of the table I would say yes do clean your shoes! And, men, it doesn't cost much to have your trousers (whether $100 or $1000) taken up to the right length and stops you looking like a hobo.

However I would go easy on the perfume or aftershave. I want to concentrate on you, not how much you smell (and strong perfume gives me a headache, or the sneezes. )

Another thought - handshakes. Don't crush my hand - what are you trying to prove? - but please don't present yours to me like you are the Queen and want it kissing. (Oh god I really should have stood my ground on that one...I was proven right but my boss thought she was cute and he had the casting vote. )
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burkins
I have my first interview in 13 years and also my first in Australia on Thursday and the nerves are starting to kick in.

Thanks

Sonya
No pants helps.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the tips, especially the pants one! Having a bit of a nightmare as caught the kids colds and now have no voice! Hoping the mint choch chip ice cream will work the magic!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the tips, especially the pants one! Having a bit of a nightmare as caught the kids colds and now have no voice! Hoping the mint choch chip ice cream will work the magic!

Think yousen lucky mate it will be all fresh in the mind I had my first last year in 33 years ,difference hair and no hair

mally
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Oh they love you to give examples of when you had to deal with a difficult colleague, when you gave excellent customer service, when you had to take immediate action - where was it, what did you do, what was the outcome?

Soooo hate those interviews but all over now as i start work on monday.

Good luck :-)
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

A good strong curry works best - problem is finding a good one.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Sonya
To get an interview these days is a major acheivement, so well done.
Hope all goes/went well today
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Well had the interview today. First 30 minutes had to produce a flyer for a health promotions seminar then provide a detailed list of how I would organise the venue, getting people there etc.

Then 40 minute interview with 4 people asking me questions and all writing down my answers. Didn't really ask me questions about what I have done before really about situations I have been in.

After the interview was told not to expect to hear something until after Easter.... the waiting goes on.

It went ok but you can never tell, fingers crossed for the next 2 1/2 weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.