Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

17 year old hell bent on going 'home'

17 year old hell bent on going 'home'

Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 17 year old hell bent on going 'home'

Kevin is a term of endearment... for a stroppy teenager, who although slams doors and slumps around the house all day not doing much is actually quite loveable.... and usually quite transparent... harmless.... I lost count of how many times my daughter actually said "aw mum its not fair" which is why she was chistened "Kevin"

We have a good natured and humourous relationship and nowadays when she is behaving 'badly' I slip kevin into the conversation, she rolls her eyes, says 'its not fair' in the kevin voice and ressumes adult behaviour.....

Vicky, however would be an insult to any self respecting teenager

For anyone who is interested... Kevin is now known as Kevina, the alternative goth who dabbles in barbie...

That is since she had a spray tan and french manicure... fingers and TOES!

She is settling in well, making friends and working at McDs.... where they 'love her cute accent'... and she is fully involved in the drama of wotrk.... actually its like a youth club..... ost of the staff are really young and all of them have a laugh.... she says its one of those jobs where if you aren't having a good time you really wouldn't bother being there.... hence they all work hard at having a good time....

I got the best christmas present I have ever had when she said...

"actually mum, Australia is alright..."

High praise indeed for her new home....
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

flowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to all

Glad to hear that
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Glw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant future

I moved to WA with my parents when I was 14, and at first had no problem with it, but after a few months I won't deny that I started getting to my parents about my hate for it more than they deserved.

My older brother (19 at the time) was unhappy about it too, but the other two siblings (17 and 11) loved it there along with my parents. Now I realise, how selfish I was to everyone, but if anything good has come out of it, I believe I got a better education out of it.

Now 4 years down the line my parents are going back in March/April, just before their residency visas expire. I'm stuck in rut as to whether go back with them, to be honest that would be the easiest and most cost-effective option. I'm 19, unemployed, and have dropped out of university. I have a place at university in Perth in February should I want it, or back here next September. I personally want to stay here, find a job for 9 months, then go to uni, unfortunately it's not that easy.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommy babe
Isn't that like saying the only reason that they would want to stay with their parents is beacause of the money and not the love and that the parents were effectively not supporting their children in their decisions in life. Without support their is no love. So you would be blackmailing her into staying with bribes. Is that a healthy family realtionship?
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. If your parents have offered to help when you go to Oz but not in the UK it is only because they want you with them and I suspect are starting to get scared about you not going.

I have told my daughter that as long a she is happy then I am. Now if that the UK then so be it. But, I would love for her to come with us and explore and experience things she cannot in the UK. I think it opens up your eyes to so many things.

When we become parents we are not given a book on how to be good parents. All we try to do is the best we can. How do you know that staying will be the right decision? Why not just give it a go and see? The UK isn't going anywhere.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Nathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really nice

I can understand both sides of the argument thrown up when these situations arise.

I came out here in 2001 when I was 16 at the time. At first after the holiday feeling went away I pretty much hated it, missed friends in England and didn't want to really try and make a go of it here the easier option was to say I wanted to go back. My younger sister also felt the same but my older sister loved it.

Looking back you realise that you may have been quite selfish about the whole thing as I now of course know my parents came out here believing we would all benefit and of course I probably forgot at the time it was a hard move for them too.

I think the bottom line is you have to give it time. And everyone is different you may or may not like living in Aus but I really think you need a decent time scale on which to judge for yourself.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:56 pm
Precociously Stupid

TsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by eddie007
Kevin is a term of endearment... for a stroppy teenager, who although slams doors and slumps around the house all day not doing much is actually quite loveable.... and usually quite transparent... harmless.... I lost count of how many times my daughter actually said "aw mum its not fair" which is why she was chistened "Kevin"

We have a good natured and humourous relationship and nowadays when she is behaving 'badly' I slip kevin into the conversation, she rolls her eyes, says 'its not fair' in the kevin voice and ressumes adult behaviour.....

Vicky, however would be an insult to any self respecting teenager

For anyone who is interested... Kevin is now known as Kevina, the alternative goth who dabbles in barbie...

That is since she had a spray tan and french manicure... fingers and TOES!

She is settling in well, making friends and working at McDs.... where they 'love her cute accent'... and she is fully involved in the drama of wotrk.... actually its like a youth club..... ost of the staff are really young and all of them have a laugh.... she says its one of those jobs where if you aren't having a good time you really wouldn't bother being there.... hence they all work hard at having a good time....

I got the best christmas present I have ever had when she said...

"actually mum, Australia is alright..."

High praise indeed for her new home....
wicked!!
Old May 13th 2008, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Eddie my son will be 17 next month and still hates it here.

Fancy training him for me?
Old May 13th 2008, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, he needs a

a, job that isn't too taxing

b, friends

What does he do?

What does he like doing?

How long have you been here for?
Old May 13th 2008, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Been here since end June last year.

He doesn't like joining clubs.
He doesn't know what he wants to do for a living.
He can't drive (we've offered to teach him but he needs to do the theory first)
He won't go back to school as he left the week we left Scotland.
He used to kick a football around outside with his mates.
He loves computer games.

He wanted to go back to Scotland so we booked a "holiday" back a few weeks ago as we didn't want him travelling back alone. He decided he couldn't afford to support himself without us so came back with us. He's accepted now that he has to get a job as I'm not paying for him to sit on his @rse here.

He's not a spoiled brat. He is a very nice lad, but moving away has turned his life on its head. It wasn't his choice to come here.

Any ideas?
Old May 13th 2008, 6:44 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midgetjan
Been here since end June last year.

He doesn't like joining clubs.
He doesn't know what he wants to do for a living.
He can't drive (we've offered to teach him but he needs to do the theory first)
He won't go back to school as he left the week we left Scotland.
He used to kick a football around outside with his mates.
He loves computer games.

He wanted to go back to Scotland so we booked a "holiday" back a few weeks ago as we didn't want him travelling back alone. He decided he couldn't afford to support himself without us so came back with us. He's accepted now that he has to get a job as I'm not paying for him to sit on his @rse here.

He's not a spoiled brat. He is a very nice lad, but moving away has turned his life on its head. It wasn't his choice to come here.

Any ideas?
Would he join a football team, a 5-side indoor team, or go to TAFE? I feel for you and him, but he needs to find friends here before he will feel any better about his life. 17 is a really tough age, for them and for the parents.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

IMHO MacD's is pretty much like one big Youth Club, a lonely teenager can do a lot lot worse than getting a parttime job there for a start...

He will meet other like minded teenage KEVINs and probbly start to make some friends as welll as have a good time...

AND he gets paid...

But I think it depends upon which Mackers he goes to...
Old May 13th 2008, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Think our nearest one would be in Midland