Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

12 year old daughter now says she doesnt want to go to australia any advice??

12 year old daughter now says she doesnt want to go to australia any advice??

Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Le Loup will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 12 year old daughter now says she doesnt want to go to australia any advice??

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think you will find that a lot of people in the midlands spell it Mom.
This Mom spelling, is it pronounced the same way? Could this be where the Americans got it from, their ancestors? We would say Mum or Mam.
Le Loup.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 year old daughter now says she doesnt want to go to australia any advice??

I brought my 12 year old daughter out here in August, after 1 year at her grammar school. She had made friends there and was sad to be leaving them, but since getting here she has made loads more, and is really enjoying life. I know it will be hard at first, particularly as she has a negative attitude. Change is always hard, but you are the adults here and although it is nice to have everyone in agreement, there are times when you have to make the decision and the child has to respect it ,like it or not.
Hope it all goes well for you- keep stressing the positives, and don't take no for an answer!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

sharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nice

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies. Oh dont worry she was told yesterday that we are going and thats it she has to get it in her head and that just because she has changed her mind now we will not be changing our decision to go! As a lot of you have said she is only 12, when she is 16 if she still hates it she can come back if she wants but I dare say bu that time she will be loving it!

My sister lives there in Adelaide already and my daughter loves it when she is there so she will just have to make new friends, if her friends are really her friends they can stay in touch with webcam and come to visit her when they are older!

Thanks again everyone, my stomach was in knots when she announced it!

sharon

ps yes i do know we have to pay her school fees for the 2 years on the student visa, in adelaide its $5k a year not $10k

Last edited by sharonmcallister; Jan 15th 2009 at 8:00 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharonmcallister
ps yes i do know we have to pay her school fees for the 2 years on the student visa, in adelaide its $5k a year not $10k
Excellent, looks like you did well to choose SA!

Well done on biting the bullet and setting her straight. She will probably be just fine when she gets here!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all

Hi everyone, we are going to australia on a student visa as soon as we seel our house (whenever that will be). We did ask our daughter way back last year before we applied and she said yes she wanted to go. So we did the medicals and applied and got the visa, due to not selling our house with the way the market is, we had planned on being there last august but are still here in glasgow and have had to reapply for another visa and its looking as though we will have to do the medicals again in march if we still dont sell in time.

She just started high school last august and is now saying she doesnt want to go and leave her friends and says she wont be going, anyone any advice? I know many of you will probably have been through this already so just need some help! My sister lives there with my brother in law and niece and she has been on holiday 3 times already and loves it when she is there, we were just there xmas 2007 to jan 2008 and she was crying leaving not wanting to come home so its a complete turn around,

thanks in advance
Sharon
its always emotional to leave it been home all her life but what type of life do you want her to have a sh*t future in UK or a much better one in oz its for her own good slap her into shape and make her go LOL she will be very gratefull of it when shes older i garrentee you
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:46 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Le Loup
This Mom spelling, is it pronounced the same way? Could this be where the Americans got it from, their ancestors? We would say Mum or Mam.
Le Loup.
Where we lived in the Midlands, everyone pronounced it as Mom...

Em x

PS Except my kids as I have an Essex accent... but they still write it as Mom...
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:47 am
Account Closed

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies. Oh dont worry she was told yesterday that we are going and thats it she has to get it in her head and that just because she has changed her mind now we will not be changing our decision to go! As a lot of you have said she is only 12, when she is 16 if she still hates it she can come back if she wants but I dare say bu that time she will be loving it!

My sister lives there in Adelaide already and my daughter loves it when she is there so she will just have to make new friends, if her friends are really her friends they can stay in touch with webcam and come to visit her when they are older!

Thanks again everyone, my stomach was in knots when she announced it!

sharon

best of luck with everything! She *will* be fine once she is here and made loads of new friends!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hi..................I know how you feel, my kids were 13 and 17 when we came, and at the last minute the eldest didnt want to come................but he had no choice!!!!!! He had to do as he was told................he was a kid!!!!!
Now he loves it, wont even go back to the UK for a holiday!!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Deb62 will become famous soon enough

Hi Sharon;
I wonder if it would help you daughter to share her feelings about emigrating with you, or perhaps with someone else that she is close to. She might feel more positive about a move if she has a chance to explore her fears. Starting secondary school is scary at the best of times. She has already had to face that, and fairly recently, and obviously has done really well settling in and making friends. To have to face doing it all again and this time in a different culture would terrify the living daylights out of me! If she could express her fears it might help. And if she were reassured by being told how capably she made the transition to high school last year and how she's going to be able to do it again, as she has already done it successfully once she might feel better. Just a thought...
Deb
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bigAPE
When I was 12 I didn't want to go to the Zoo. My parents took me anyway. I enjoyed it.

She will adapt
Very funny, had me giggling for quite a while
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

sharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nice

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you all know that when my daughter came home from school today, I said to her I didnt want to hear anymore about her not coming to australia, it is happening and she will have to get her head around it. I also said that initially its only for 2 years we dont know what will happen and if we are still out there when her friends turn 16 they are welcome to come and stay for a holiday with us, she seemed ok and no tears today about it.

I had already said to her ages ago once she had settled into high school that it should make her realise how easy it will be to settle into a new school and make new friends in oz and she did agree, I think some of her closer friends have been saying things to her you know what they are like at that age, listen to every word each other say!

I also said that I had put this post on and that loads of people had replied saying that their children were the exact same especially at her age range and they had all settled in really well and had made loads of new friends really easily. She is a really shy girl and I think this is what is wrong too, she is scared that because she is quiet she wont make friends easily but I told her its so different in oz to here (as she knows anyway!)

Also with the way the housing market is god knows when we will get there, could be another year from now (hopefully not but hey you dont know!) She seems ok so far so fingers crossed she comes to accept it, she will have to she is only 12 not 16!!

Sharon

Last edited by sharonmcallister; Jan 16th 2009 at 8:28 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

There are loads of clubs and stuff you can get her into so she isnt just reliant on school to makes friends...

I am getting my kids back into drama (my son is very good at it, but my daughter gets shy speaking infront of people so I thought it would give her confidence)..

I always find it is better for them to have activities to go to in order to make friends outside the school envoirnment!

Em x
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:55 am
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

I'm gobsmacked by this post. When my parents told me at 13 yrs of age we were going to Australia I never questioned it (neither did my brother and sister). What on earth has changed so that in the U.K the kids have a say in what the parents decide. Kid needs a swift kick up the arss if you ask me. What a friggin joke!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sprintman
I'm gobsmacked by this post. When my parents told me at 13 yrs of age we were going to Australia I never questioned it (neither did my brother and sister). What on earth has changed so that in the U.K the kids have a say in what the parents decide. Kid needs a swift kick up the arss if you ask me. What a friggin joke!
Think you need to read the whole thread actually...

Em x
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emelems
Think you need to read the whole thread actually...

Em x
Yes I agree, what I didnt put in the original post was that when my daughter was 3 and 6 she actually went through 2 spinal operations to detether her spinal cord and when she was 8 she had a foot correction operation and now wears an orthotic splint on her left foot. She goes to mainstream school and apart from the splint is a very healthy child but because of what she has been through her self esteem is quite low and as I said she is a very timid, shy child. So this is a big thing for her, she hated started secondary school too but has adapted to it great so hopefully she will be the same when we get to oz.

I think she is scared because she has come to know all her doctors she has here, although she has not been in hospital for anything for 4 years and only sees them once a year for a check up, this I think is at the back of her mind too.

Sharon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.