Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The £7-per-hour jobs locals don't want

The £7-per-hour jobs locals don't want

Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:50 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The £7-per-hour jobs locals don't want

In Australia, you get paid a lump sum each time you, as you say it , PUSH A BABY OUT !

Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
In Australia, you get paid a lump sum each time you, as you say it , PUSH A BABY OUT !

You do here too - a £500 maternity grant - only if you're entitled to it though .. I didn't get it!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:15 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a good question.

Ive never been in a coles store, but ive heard they are robbing bastards on some of their goods lol...

How the hell do you survive if you've never been in a Coles ?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:19 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
How the hell do you survive if you've never been in a Coles ?
IGA
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

I think that money in Oz ($2000 isn't it?) is not a good idea. I heard people are spending it on widescreen TV's not the children.

SW3105 you have my sympathies, its a real pain when you work hard and struggle and see lazy people get everything handed to them on a plate.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SW3105
At least they have a hobby or something to do ... the UK kids just sit on street corners, smoke fags and drink Stella!

I just read through this whole thread. I just want to make a leeetle point. I am British and have worked since I left school at 16, I've never been out of work until I had my baby last year at the tender old age of 26. I'd worked for 10 years and have just gone back to work part time. When I was 20, I was unemployed for about 6 months, I went to the Jobcentre and they said that I couldn't claim anything as I didn't have enough National Insurance contribution credits.

Yet my little sister can just push a baby out, wait 5 years, then have another and all the time be entitled to rent, council tax, cheaper bills (cries when she cant pay a bill and is allowed to pay them at £1 a week whilst I have to deal with a stupid bill at once or suffer bailiffs!) income support, child benefit etc. AND SMOKE AND DRINK ALCOHOL AND HAVE TAKE AWAY EVERY WEEKEND!!

My niece at one point had 17 pairs of shoes, all their clothes were name branded. My partner works full time, I work 27 hours a week over 3 days, our clothes are from Tesco, we don't smoke and he allows himself 1 case of beer every now and then and take away is a once a month luxury!

I live here and it makes me angry beyond belief!

Get her to emigrate, she will get also get $5000 for every kid she pops out, free childcare so she can sit at home, plus the benefits are much higher.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:47 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If it's hard work then why on earth is it crap money?

Because there are people who can be exploited.

I agree that people ought to not be on benefits if there are jobs to be had, but £7 per hour is not a livable wage to support a family. Or I suppose fruit and veg pickers ought not have families?
Lady, my first job was in K-Mart earning less thatn 7 DOLLARS an hour .....

My second job was as a waiter - earning mot much more.

They were ****in hard jobs and I got payed crap wages - they WEREN'T ENOUGH TO SUPPORT A FAMILY......

Some jobs just aren't well payed (not every job can be payed at $100 an hour)....

What would you have me do - complain that the money wasn't good enough and go on the dole.....???!!!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:53 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SW3105
At least they have a hobby or something to do ... the UK kids just sit on street corners, smoke fags and drink Stella!

I just read through this whole thread. I just want to make a leeetle point. I am British and have worked since I left school at 16, I've never been out of work until I had my baby last year at the tender old age of 26. I'd worked for 10 years and have just gone back to work part time. When I was 20, I was unemployed for about 6 months, I went to the Jobcentre and they said that I couldn't claim anything as I didn't have enough National Insurance contribution credits.

Yet my little sister can just push a baby out, wait 5 years, then have another and all the time be entitled to rent, council tax, cheaper bills (cries when she cant pay a bill and is allowed to pay them at £1 a week whilst I have to deal with a stupid bill at once or suffer bailiffs!) income support, child benefit etc. AND SMOKE AND DRINK ALCOHOL AND HAVE TAKE AWAY EVERY WEEKEND!!

My niece at one point had 17 pairs of shoes, all their clothes were name branded. My partner works full time, I work 27 hours a week over 3 days, our clothes are from Tesco, we don't smoke and he allows himself 1 case of beer every now and then and take away is a once a month luxury!

I live here and it makes me angry beyond belief!
Thats the one thing that really got me annoyed in the UK....

I used to pay nearly 1000 pounds in tax each month (not that I hate paying tax, just hate it when its being used inappropriately).....I would walk up the high street at lunch and see the same fat chavs with their kids, scigarette in hand, can of stella nearby, swearing and causing a nuisance.......all the while I'm thinking....that fat bitch is drinking Stella and smoking cigarettes she bought with MY tax money...

Meanwhile, I was getting up at 5.30, driving an hour each way to work, slaving like a dog....

I don't have a problem with the welfare system being a last resort, and something for people to use temporarily whilst your out of work - I DO have a problem with it being a lifestyle....

WHY IS IT LIKE THAT IN THE UK - EVERYONE I KNOW COMPLAINS ABOUT IT, EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THESE FAT DOLE BLUDGERS CAN WORK, BUT CHOOSE NOT TO.......

Arghghhhghhhhhhhh
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:55 am
Aussie lost in the UK

Originally Posted by martinw01908
I think that money in Oz ($2000 isn't it?) is not a good idea. I heard people are spending it on widescreen TV's not the children.

SW3105 you have my sympathies, its a real pain when you work hard and struggle and see lazy people get everything handed to them on a plate.
I agree, I don't like the 'baby-bonus' system - I agree that perhaps there should be something that helps parents deal with the intial cost of having a kid, but hading over thousands of bucks at once is not the answer - perhaps tax credits, or vouchers for baby goods (nappies, food, clothes)....
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice

I absolutely do not have a problem with benefits being used as they really should be used, to help people in times of need. Obviously, I've had a baby with my partner, I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, he might walk out and leave us on our own, I'll need those benefits to help me by. But I can guarantee that my baby will be put into nursery when she is 3 years old so that I can work nursery hours.

When my sister got her maternity grant, I took the money off her, I marched her to Mothercare and spent all the money on things that her baby would need. She had all these grand plans, £100 on clothes, £50 on a nice dinner for the two of us, maybe some baby clothes ..

Me and OH were trying for our baby for over a year, in that time I'd bought everything that we needed (plus more) so by the time we eventually fell pregnant and our baby arrived, we had everything. Yes, some extra money would have been nice, and the year was devastating, but I see it as a blessing in disguise.

I 100% agree with a vouchers system for nappies and clothes. Here, if you are on benefits or considered to have a low income, you get fruit and veg vouchers which I think cannot be spent on anything tobacco or alcohol products. You also can get milk tokens to exchange for baby formula or cows milk until baby is 5. I believe the milk tokens are only for people on benefits as you get those in your giro book - it may have changed now. I didn't get anything like that ...
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=AndyR1976;6059820]

I don't have a problem with the welfare system being a last resort, and something for people to use temporarily whilst your out of work - I DO have a problem with it being a lifestyle....

(QUOTE]

But that is also a huge problem in many areas of australia, particuarly rural or coastal areas, try getting unskilled people for jobs like a labourer Masses of jobs, masses on benefits, but they prefer the surfie lifestyle.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:18 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

[QUOTE=jad n rich;6060471]
Originally Posted by AndyR1976

(QUOTE]

But that is also a huge problem in many areas of australia, particuarly rural or coastal areas, try getting unskilled people for jobs like a labourer Masses of jobs, masses on benefits, but they prefer the surfie lifestyle.

Well....if its surfing then thats OK..........

I am really talking about people who are simply wasting days away....

SURFING, is not wastig your day away - its time well spent...IMHO
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:25 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976

Well....if its surfing then thats OK..........

I am really talking about people who are simply wasting days away....

SURFING, is not wastig your day away - its time well spent...IMHO
At tax payers expense? I don't think so.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:44 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Precisely because an ageing population needs young workers to do the backbreaking stuff like pick fruit and be willing to accept poor wages in the bargain.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I tried potato picking for a brief stint whilst on holidays way back in my youth. I've never forgotten it, possibly the worst 24 hours of work I've ever put in, in my life.

I reckon that BBC report could be sensationalism, because every fruit and vegie harvesting job Ive ever seen runs on piece rates, and to go at the max, which is what that 7 quid would be, would probably be for pickers that have years of experience under their belts... I bet 3 quid is more the norm.

Down at the lower end of the wage pool things get really tough, almost slave labour, if we want a society where people are forced to work. Then get the government to admit it, but to dress things up and tut tut at people that dont want to do jobs that we would all rather avoid is probably not the way to go.
I can remember when my dad used to go out to work and my mum went potato picking or pea picking to help support the family - she would have been in her late 20s then and from a very hazy memory, most of the pickers were local girls and their kids sat on the edge of the field while they went up and down the rows. I can vividly remember her tying up her hair in a scarf and putting me on the bike seat to pedal down to whichever field was being picked at the time. Sad old world isnt it when strapping young blokes these days cant do what slips of girls used to do just after the war.

The welfare state is much abused unfortunately and I dont think Aus is any better in that regard. I have had (quite a few!) parents demanding that I write a letter of support for them to go from a 3 bedroom house to a 4 bedroom one because their kids were getting older and they were having another one. No income, just benefits and a car far newer than the jalopy I was driving at the time! There is work and someone just needs to find a cure for the work shy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.