£3 Tax Return

Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:51 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default £3 Tax Return

Since I've been in Aus, I've been telling the IR/HMRC that I don't want to/don't need to complete a UK return. It's small beer and I just have to pay it to the ATO when they give it back. They insist and even lie, telling me that everyone earning anything in the UK has to complete a UK tax return.

Anyway, once again they've requested that the wife and I complete a UK tax return. Hers came to £3 net of tax. I wonder if they'll get the hint this year
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all
Default Re: £3 Tax Return

Anyway, once again they've requested that the wife and I complete a UK tax return. Hers came to £3 net of tax. I wonder if they'll get the hint this year [/QUOTE]

I doubt it. Mine was a big fat zero last year and they still sent me one this year - I haven't even been back to the UK since 2006 - twits
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
I doubt it. Mine was a big fat zero last year and they still sent me one this year - I haven't even been back to the UK since 2006 - twits
Doesn't bode well.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:24 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

What would happen if you just binned it?

OK, technically a non-filing fine - how much is that? £100?
Are they really going to chase you for it? The flight over here would cost at least 4-times as much?

(I'm not being sarky - honest questions - I'm bound to receive one soon......)
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by 22B

Are they really going to chase you for it? The flight over here would cost at least 4-times as much?

I've thought about that and I think the £100 doesn't apply if they owe you. However I'm heading back next year for a holiday and although it's extremely unlikely I didn't want to get any trouble. If they still insist after that, I'll let it slide.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 22B

Ok, non-filing is £100 then interest on top of that. Then eventually you get fined for non-payment of the penalty and then you get a prison sentence (in theory) for non-payment of fines.

Then you get nicked at Heathrow when you go home for dear old Aunt Mabel's funeral and spend a week in Brixton prison (in theory).

Better to sort it out - either ensure you have nil income in the UK or get off the list of UK taxpayers.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

You can you register and do it online. We have registered for when we move to Oz and will be trying it out this year.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I've thought about that and I think the £100 doesn't apply if they owe you. However I'm heading back next year for a holiday and although it's extremely unlikely I didn't want to get any trouble. If they still insist after that, I'll let it slide.
I once got the £100 fine for not filling in my return. I had, and the tax office agreed that I had, and returned my £100.... except I got back a cheque for £99.72. I couldn't figure out why until it clicked that they had taken the cost of the stamp off !!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alfresco
You can you register and do it online. We have registered for when we move to Oz and will be trying it out this year.
The only thing about the online service is that it's not available (in theory) to people who are not in the UK. So you can do it online if you say you're resident. In which case you'll be doing them forever.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I once got the £100 fine for not filling in my return. I had, and the tax office agreed that I had, and returned my £100.... except I got back a cheque for £99.72. I couldn't figure out why until it clicked that they had taken the cost of the stamp off !!
Classic!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

The £100 penalty is tax geared so if you eventually fill it in and your liability is nil the penalty is reduced to nil. If your liability is £20 the penalty becomes £20.

I suggest you write a letter of complaint, explain your circumstances and ask why you are still required to submit a return. Mark the top of your letter in red letters "COMPLAINT. REPLY EXPECTED WITHIN 28 DAYS TO PREVENT CONTACT WITH MY M.P." and send it recorded delivery. To do this just email the letter to a friend in the UK, get them to print it and sign your name (the tax office will never notice this discrepancy) and pay for the recorded delivery.

That will make them move faster, take it from me. I worked there for 20 years
Old Jul 17th 2009, 7:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RenShen
The £100 penalty is tax geared so if you eventually fill it in and your liability is nil the penalty is reduced to nil. If your liability is £20 the penalty becomes £20.

I suggest you write a letter of complaint, explain your circumstances and ask why you are still required to submit a return. Mark the top of your letter in red letters "COMPLAINT. REPLY EXPECTED WITHIN 28 DAYS TO PREVENT CONTACT WITH MY M.P." and send it recorded delivery. To do this just email the letter to a friend in the UK, get them to print it and sign your name (the tax office will never notice this discrepancy) and pay for the recorded delivery.

That will make them move faster, take it from me. I worked there for 20 years
I think they're a bit pissed off with me because I used to be one of their best customers.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Since I've been in Aus, I've been telling the IR/HMRC that I don't want to/don't need to complete a UK return. It's small beer and I just have to pay it to the ATO when they give it back. They insist and even lie, telling me that everyone earning anything in the UK has to complete a UK tax return.

Anyway, once again they've requested that the wife and I complete a UK tax return. Hers came to £3 net of tax. I wonder if they'll get the hint this year
I had a similar problem as you kept getting 100 pound fine for failing to fill in my tax return, called them a few times and wrote letters and kept a record of who and when i spoke to them, i quoted these every time to them and they did acknowledge receiving my correspondence, however a year later another 100 quid fine on top of the last years one, gave up replying to them just returned their mail to them stating "Gone Walkabout" its been very quiet from them for about a year now but not holding my breath. But do agree they are very incompentent f***wits
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:42 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing about the online service is that it's not available (in theory) to people who are not in the UK. So you can do it online if you say you're resident. In which case you'll be doing them forever.
They sent me a letter to Singapore every year asking me to do it online. (I originally had to do one because I had rental income.)

After several years of me reporting about 50p interest, and ending up about 2 quid in credit, they've finally said I no longer need to complete one.

I'll let them keep the 2 quid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.