Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

$5000 for dental work

$5000 for dental work

Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:03 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $5000 for dental work

Originally Posted by eddie007
Hi galba,

I'm thinking I should perhaps get a second opinion or try and find some one who will spread the cost based on what is done rather than on an up front figure... can you let me have the details of your dentist?

Many thanks
Definately worth looking into that. Although $5,000 for braces for a kid here is about the norm (some would say that's a bargain !), most places will offer a payment plan. Quite unusual to be asked to pay fully up front I would think.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:36 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Hi galba,

I'm thinking I should perhaps get a second opinion or try and find some one who will spread the cost based on what is done rather than on an up front figure... can you let me have the details of your dentist?

Many thanks

I was surprised they wanted all up front. One that I have been to and talking to friends have all said pay as you go. We had to pay $800 upfront which I am gathering is the cost of the braces or such so the dentist isnt out of pocket and the rest is follow up treatments which we paid equally shared over 18 months, which doesnt hurt...................much.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
I was surprised they wanted all up front. One that I have been to and talking to friends have all said pay as you go. We had to pay $800 upfront which I am gathering is the cost of the braces or such so the dentist isnt out of pocket and the rest is follow up treatments which we paid equally shared over 18 months, which doesnt hurt...................much.
There are tax advantages to paying up front - it will take you over the limit for medical expenses and you can claim not only that amount but any other medical expenses you have incurred over the years as a medical rebate when you do your tax return. They usually give you a discount for an up front payment as well if you can afford it.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by quoll
There are tax advantages to paying up front - it will take you over the limit for medical expenses and you can claim not only that amount but any other medical expenses you have incurred over the years as a medical rebate when you do your tax return. They usually give you a discount for an up front payment as well if you can afford it.
With the Net medical expenses tax offset, you only get 20% back, of what you spend in each year, that exceeds the threshold (currently $1,500).

From some posts on here, it sounds like things have changed in the UK, with only a few people lucky enough to get braces on the NHS, and the private costs being not much different to Australian costs for them.

Everyone does know that the highest paying jobs in Australia are Dentists don't they ?