Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

$37m for touching her bra strap

$37m for touching her bra strap

Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:49 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $37m for touching her bra strap

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Just a thought; what would have happened had she not been wearing a bra?
her boobs would be scalded by the teabags

Is this a trick question mate? you were there, not me
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:52 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
her boobs would be scalded by the teabags

Is this a trick question mate? you were there, not me
Not as flippant as it may seem. The award is being claimed for touching her bra strap. Had there been no strap, would the claim be for more or less money?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:54 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Not as flippant as it may seem. The award is being claimed for touching her bra strap. Had there been no strap, would the claim be for more or less money?
oh look Im not playing if you're gonna be all serious like

No point asking me thesethings. I'm in the "shag me senseless" tshirt brigade
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:01 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
oh look Im not playing if you're gonna be all serious like

No point asking me thesethings. I'm in the "shag me senseless" tshirt brigade
Actually it was entirely flippant....let me tell you a story....in the nick where I called in to get my paperwork, there were three young ladies who worked in the front office. A new inspector had taken over and as I walked in he was assuring them that while he was in charge, there would be no sexual harrassment in his police station. To which one of the girls replied, "Right I'm f***ing leaving then!" The truth, I swear.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Sep 17th 2010 at 3:06 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

"These poor innocent investors (got DJ shares by any chance?)"
No but I know a few pensioners that do. My concern is more for the employees that I notice you've conveniently dropped from this discussion twice now.
Ah yes, these employees you are so concerned about. You haven't really explained how they are going to suffer have you? Are they going to be publicly flogged, only fed on gruel, made to dress in rags? What is going to happen to them exactly that you can see in your crystal ball?

While you are looking at Google, you can read McInnes' statement from when he was fired, and see how much he was paid to leave. So far he has made substantially more money than Fraser-Kirk out of this, but that isn't really going to get the masses all riled up is it?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:11 pm

Actually it was entirely flippant....let me tell you a story....in the nick where I called in to get my paperwork, there were three young ladies who worked in the front office. A new inspector had taken over and as I walked in he was assuring them that while he was in charge, there would be no sexual harrassment in his police station. To which one of the girls replied, "Right I'm f***ing leaving then!" The truth, I swear.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BenandPam
Ah yes, these employees you are so concerned about. You haven't really explained how they are going to suffer have you? Are they going to be publicly flogged, only fed on gruel, made to dress in rags? What is going to happen to them exactly that you can see in your crystal ball?

While you are looking at Google, you can read McInnes' statement from when he was fired, and see how much he was paid to leave. So far he has made substantially more money than Fraser-Kirk out of this, but that isn't really going to get the masses all riled up is it?
Yes I have. Nice that you care so little for them

It seems to have riled a few. He shouldn't have got it.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Sep 17th 2010 at 9:21 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone explain why $37m is a reasonable claim? What's the justification for such a large amount?

I can't see how taking something like 30-35% of the company's profits doesn't go beyond punitive and end up being vindictive.

If the company has to hand over 35% of it's profit there's surely going to be knock ons that affects hundreds (maybe 1000s) of innocent people. I can't see how the company would be able to pay employee bonuses without cutting them by 35%. Or how they can pay dividends without cutting them by 35%. With that sort of cut in profits surely the company would have to make cost savings (read retrenchment).
Where does the 35% come from?? $37 million is not 30 - 35% of $156 million (2009 profits for David Jones, 2010 is looking like a 5%ish growth). So, given that the company are NOT looking at handing over 35% of it's profit, NOT cutting bonuses by 35% and not cutting dividends by 35%, does that change things for these 1000s of innocent people? It is also good to see that the retrenchment won't be necessary.

I am happy to report that the sky is not falling down just because a senior manager has been caught sexually harassing an employee.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I've had a quick google on Anne-Marie Kelly.

So it looks like DJs is going to be taken down because some female middle manager screwed up. Fantastic. It'll be worth the redundancies to remedy that!
"Help, help, the sky is falling!"

I don't think it was a female middle manager that screwed up here. Try looking at a more senior level for behavior that led to this situation.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 7:59 am
Account Closed

Where does the 35% come from?? $37 million is not 30 - 35% of $156 million (2009 profits for David Jones, 2010 is looking like a 5%ish growth). So, given that the company are NOT looking at handing over 35% of it's profit, NOT cutting bonuses by 35% and not cutting dividends by 35%, does that change things for these 1000s of innocent people? It is also good to see that the retrenchment won't be necessary.

I am happy to report that the sky is not falling down just because a senior manager has been caught sexually harassing an employee.
So only 25%? A mere bagatelle.

The last person to report that the sky was not falling in got it spectacularly wrong. Let's hope that we get a better result this time.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 8:04 am
Account Closed

I don't think it was a female middle manager that screwed up here. Try looking at a more senior level for behavior that led to this situation.
I think I'll wait for the court case now. It's not something I'm obsessed about.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 9:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The last person to report that the sky was not falling in got it spectacularly wrong.
So is the sky falling in or not?
Old Sep 18th 2010, 10:23 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder what the final payout will be. I suspect the 35 million will be reduced. Mixing sex and work ends in tears too often yet so many desperate idiots do it.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 10:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So is the sky falling in or not?
Depends on which part of the playground you're in. I think
Old Sep 18th 2010, 11:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Welcome to the litigious society!
It does seem, from the article, that the case is about a lot more than 'touching a bra strap', with a caim that the person was conselled 11 times about his treatment of female employees. This leads me to suspect that the company has only itself to blame, with his apparent ignoring of the counselling, and cotnuing to get complaints he should have been sacked. Seems like the man has a serious problem with his attitude to women.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.