Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Working in Barbados social care sector

Working in Barbados social care sector

Old Feb 7th 2018, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Janine1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Working in Barbados social care sector

Hello all
Just a quick question, does anyone have affiliation or links with ever the Barbados government or any of the international organisations that work with NGOs or development.
I understand in the Caribbean it's about who you know, so I'm networking I guess the forum is the best place to make links in Barbados.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 6:49 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Barbados social care sector

hi Janine. . I just want to clarify your question.. .. as per your subject line.... what you are doing is looking to link with a governmental agency or NGO or international organization in the social care sector to then be able to work in Barbados???

While "who you know" can have something to do with many things in Barbados.. Being able to legally work on this island requires either a Work Permit, which is applied for and paid for by the company you would be working for (and they have to prove that there is no one in Barbados who is qualified to do that job), or.. be a citizen, or have citizenship by Marriage, or decent, or residency.

Some may call me the voice of doom when it comes to this question.. but you really just can't arrive here and start working.. Maybe on other islands but not in Barbados. and at this moment.. you may want to take a harder look at what it's really like to live in Barbados before considering that type of move. things are NOT what they always seem from a visitors perspective. high cost of living, rent, etc etc.. and the salary does not match this..

If you are looking to do work with an organization that comes into Barbados for short term projects, that might be a different story, but technically to work here, you still need a work permit (if you don't have the correct documents to work here).
Old Feb 9th 2018, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your advice _|_But I'm full aware of the protocol regarding working in all Caribbean island. _|_I don't think there is anywhere in the world you can go and set up home and work without legal documents. _|_Again back to my question does anyone have any links or are aware of any NGO organisation both local or international, also anyone who is dreaming about living and working in the Caribbean trust me your dreams and hopes will come true x
Old Feb 10th 2018, 11:39 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

You do understand not all Caribbean Island are created equal.. so.. maybe Serendipty can advise more properly what happens in Barbados when one is trying to deal with government and work permit's .. Even when one owns the company they work for and brings jobs for Barbadians to the island.. it's not all roses...

Elections are coming up in the next several months.. so things may change with regards to these organizations.. and people

https://www.barbadosparliament.com/member/details/31

https://www.findyello.com/barbados/S...-Organizations

There are several charitable organizations working for the betterment of the Barbadian people. Soroptimist International, American/Canadian/British Women's Clubs.. (each a separate organization ) .. and others..
Old Feb 10th 2018, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Hello
No offence or anything but I wasn't talking or asking about work permits or ways of getting my documents sorted.
I understand this a forum filled with knowledge people with different experiences and professions I was just purely asking if anyone knew of any agency.
Again thank you for your input
Old Feb 10th 2018, 8:45 pm

your subject line says.. working in Barbados social care sector.. .. so I thought I'd advise what you would need , other than a job, to do that. no offence taken. .but also answering your question.. feel free to Mr. Blackett.. but hopefully he will not be in that position much longer.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 10:44 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

You know, i think this particular forum might benefit from a sticky ‘so you think the paradise you visited on holiday is where you want to live - well - this is why you are probably wrong, and why actually paradise quite possibly doesnt want or need you...’

Also - shout out for this website - very thought provoking. https://womenwholiveonrocks.com
Old Feb 12th 2018, 2:13 am

I know a couple of the women that have posts on that blog.. Life in the tropics ain't as easy as it would seem.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 6:01 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
You know, i think this particular forum might benefit from a sticky ‘so you think the paradise you visited on holiday is where you want to live - well - this is why you are probably wrong, and why actually paradise quite possibly doesnt want or need you...’

Also - shout out for this website - very thought provoking. https://womenwholiveonrocks.com
Oooh looking forward to reading through that site when I get some me time
Old Feb 13th 2018, 4:51 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
I know a couple of the women that have posts on that blog.. Life in the tropics ain't as easy as it would seem.
Shhhhh, you’ll upset the tourists daydream. Truthfully, the problems i have here are nice problems to have generally. I say its not that life in the subtropics its difficult, its just very different, and when one compares life working in the ‘civilised’ world with being retired here, no contest...

I know several working people with lucky genetic ties who moved here to carry on their trades, sure they earn less in absolute terms but most say their lives are much nicer.

This truth is one reason why immigration is deliberately not possible for many, they have to answer the question - what is your value to our society?
Old Feb 14th 2018, 8:45 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=uk_grenada;12441275]Shhhhh, you’ll upset the tourists daydream. Truthfully, the problems i have here are nice problems to have generally. I say its not that life in the subtropics its difficult, its just very different, and when one compares life working in the ‘civilised’ world with being retired here, no contest...

I remember when I first arrived in Barbados a friend telling me that their friend had just left and gone back to England as they had had enough.

I thought to myself are they crazy why would anyone want to leave here!!

On reflection I understand now ...it is definitely a balancing act. Although living in the Caribbean brings sunshine, relaxation and a party atmosphere for me I also missed the seasons - with each weather change people change...their clothes, their activities, their attitudes, their likes and dislikes whereas having one season started to seem like ground hog day.

I love everything about the Barbadian culture but I also missed strange little things about my UK life ie personal privacy (ie people not knowing your business) Snuggling under my duvet, Autumn, the easy access to so many different types of cultures, etc.

All in all it becomes a balance not only of what you have to offer but what home away from home can offer you.

A Hybrid life is now my ideal - Part time in the Caribbean and part time in the UK suits my Soul best. We are all on a different journey to peace and fulfilment, however without pursuing my dreams I would never have known that.