Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

For those who have moved to Barbados

For those who have moved to Barbados

Old Jul 29th 2008, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

DivaII is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For those who have moved to Barbados

Hi, I am just interested to know, those of you who have moved to Barbados apart from the island being beautiful, with lovely sandy white beaches and friendly people, what was the deciding factor for your move.

Also, how have you found living in Barbados now?

Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: For those who have moved to Barbados

Hi there,

Well, I've been here all of about 3 weeks now, so the moving part is still fresh in my mind. We came here because of our jobs and plan on staying 2-3 years.

So far, I've mostly been trying to get used to the heat. I'm from Canada (specifically Toronto), and while we do get heat and humidity like this in Toronto, it doesn't last very long - maybe a month or so.

People warned us that things would be much more expensive here, and I've found that to be true, with a few exceptions. Buying local produce is definitely the way to go, and steering clear of boxed or pre-packaged foods helps. I know other people have loads of good examples so hopefully some of them will chime in

People have been very kind, although so far most of our friends are other expats. Hopefully over time we can expand our circle.

We plan on a few trips each year, for both work and leisure, and I think those trips will be handy for getting a break and stocking up on things cheaper than buying them here

Good luck to you in your decision.

Foxy