Shipping advice

Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

ElizabethJD is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Shipping advice

We are moving to B'dos this year and want to know if anyone can suggest a shipping company and any advice about shipping household items. We hear it's terribly expensive and we're not sure if it's worth it to ship stuff or just buy when we are there. Thanks-Elizabeth

Last edited by Sue; Mar 18th 2010 at 6:01 pm. Reason: Thread moved to Barbados forum
Old Mar 18th 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shipping advice

Try posting this in the Barbados forum - you'll likely get better response there.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109

I didn't ship any of my things, so I can't help you. But I know others have, so you should be able to get some tips from them.

Good luck.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

sapphirerose127 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to to using JLB International for shipping to Bim, although based in Kingston Jamaica they have offices in the UK (London/Birmingham). Got some good quotes and been very helpful so far, but I have not yet made the move so I can't vouch for reliability.
http://www.jlbshipping.com/
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

RAZZMATAZZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Call Gary Bunting at Transpackship International Ltd (01623 441445).They work with the Geest line which ships break bulk and containers (don't know how much stuff you are shipping out,but not all lines do break bulk), every two weeks to Barbados.They work with the shipping agent in Barbados called Sea Feight Agencies (located above Altantis submarines in the shallow draught near Spring Garden Highway).Both are very helpful and well priced(although some freight charges are fixed),and can deliver your goods door to door. Hpoe this is of some help,good luck.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

bengi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

One thing to remember is if your shipping any white or brown goods i.e. TV’s fridge freezers and stuff like that, you will need to pay tax when you reach Barbados. I think if you own them for over a year you might not have to pay any tax. But I thought I would mention that to you. Plus once your goods are in Barbados it will take about a week before they are released.

Have you thought about tropical shipping? They ship on a weekly basis I think.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

songbird835 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI, Ive lived here in Barbados for 6 years now, i shipped all my things here except for my main electric appliances as the plugs and current volts are different, when i moved and i am glad i did. Things can be pricey here and the selection is not the same as in uk, i had ikea galore and trust me, its not like that here, even now when i want things for my children i get my parents to send boxes to me. They use transpackship to send the boxes to me and they are great, my parents have tried a few shipping companies, but these people deliver when they say they will, the freight duty is a lot less and i generally find them excellent!!!