Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Reside and Work - Apply for citizenship by marriage

Reside and Work - Apply for citizenship by marriage

Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

flower26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reside and Work - Apply for citizenship by marriage

Thanks No2son, it would have been nice to sell up here and be able to live mortgage free in Barbados but you can't have it all. It will slow me down but I think it makes sense to keep my options open. I have been told that the ideal is to use your property in the UK as a form of additional income once in Bim so will work on that.

Good luck with your move.

Regards, F
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

numbernine is an unknown quantity at this point

Hoping you all can help me out!
Does an application for citizenship through marriage need to be submitted in person in Bridgetown? Or can it be done through the Barbadian embassy in the UK? Or by post to Bridgetown? Sadly I'm going to need to flit back and forth after we're married to keep on working, and am wondering if this is something definitely best done in Bridgetown to get things moving as soon as poss, or if there's even an option to do it at a Bajan embassy abroad.
Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Guapa is an unknown quantity at this point

Numbernine you can submit your application in London.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Lyndi1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Numbernine,

I did it through the Barbados Embassy in London. First you need to ring and ask for them to send you the paperwork - or call in if it's easier. When you've completed the paperwork, you need to call them again and arrange an interview for yourself and your husband, the purpose of this i believe, is to ensure you're not in a marriage of convenience.

I think you can only do all this if you have been married a certain time - I'm not sure how long but i'm sure someone else will know.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

numbernine is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Guapa & Lyndi

I'd forgotten about this thread and think it's worth updating for anyone else out there.

You guys are right, we can apply in the UK. Unfortunately I'm getting conflicting information. Immigration in Bdos told me a while ago, and I checked again just recently, that you can apply for citizenship from any point after you are married. And that they then contact you (probably in a few years time) to arrange your couple's interview. However at the UK office, I was told I could not apply until we'd been married for 3 years, and like Lyndi says, need to have the interview to start the process off. I checked back with Bdos when I heard this from the UK, and they were incredulous that I'd been told 3 years of marriage first. I spoke again with the UK and said Bdos said I could submit my paperwork at the UK office, pay my fee there and have my signature witnessed. And no interview was necessary at this point. UK said - Alright, if that's what they said, but we get our instructions from Bdos. So I'm not entirely convinced they'll follow through...

So, I'm going to try through the UK first. It's a bit worrying because even if they do as they say when I go in to submit the application, I'm of course relying on them to send it back to Bdos and get the ball rolling. If that doesn't work out, I'll submit to Bdos in person next time I'm over. From what the Bdos office has said, and reading through other threads on here about this, it doesn't sound like everyone's been given that 3 year wait.

Luckily, due to all you helpful people on here, I haven't been the least bit surprised that I've been given conflicting information, so was nice to be prepared

As always, if anyone else has any other information to add from their experiences, it would be really helpful. And I'll try and add in my comments as things progress.

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:06 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I think the bajan information is actually the right one in this case from what i heard from others - can apply at anytime but must be married for 3 years before they will put you on the interview waiting list
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

That would make sense. I did it both the same time because i'd been married to my husband a lot longer than 3 years, so I didn't have to wait for the interview.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:03 am
Just Joined

laudrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Some people seem to get citizenship faster than others. I have been married to my bajan wife since 2006 and applied for citizenship in 2007. It's almost 1 year since we(my wife and I) have had the interview and still waiting to be granted citizenship. Was told that they put citizenship by marriage on hold to accommodate more pressing issues. Why the hassle for something you are entitled to?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 9:55 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

laudrick - That's interesting. not sure what those pressing issues could be. I was told a while back that they put "residency" requests on hold to work on the Citizenship and work permit issues..

but.. look on the bright side.. until recently, I'm talking the last 5 years or so, you, as a man married to a Barbadian women, could only get residency. soo.. I guess you can be happy about the citizenship, but it will just take time.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

We got married in Nov 2009 and applied for my citizenship 2 weeks later. I was told they will not look at my application until we have been married for 2 years and from there it can take 1-3 years (depending on backlog) for it to be granted. Glad I applied though instead of waiting for the 2 year period as they granted me reside and work for 3 years (I guess this is to cover the 2 year 'wait' period plus the 1 years it could take to be granted. When I asked what happens if my reside and work expires but I still have not been granted citizenship, I was told not to worry, I will defo have it by then. That will be November 2012 - I cant see that happening myself!!
Old Jun 4th 2011, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

laudrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone has a different experience and has been told differently by the same immigration department. It's not smooth sailing when it comes to citizenship and immigration department.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't agree with you more
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Hi guys, wanted to share my good news with you. I received a letter this morning telling me that I am now a citizen of Barbados! I'm over the moon.

It's taken me 3 years and 1 month to the day since my interview in London. I hope those of you who have applied, dont have to wait too long.

L
Old Jun 11th 2011, 11:21 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

whoo hooo Lyndi!!!.. Party!!!.. Congrats. Honestly doesn't mean anything to the outside world but it means plenty here. (not you can say, without hesitation, I am a bajan, just with an accent..)

Originally Posted by Lyndi1
Hi guys, wanted to share my good news with you. I received a letter this morning telling me that I am now a citizen of Barbados! I'm over the moon.

It's taken me 3 years and 1 month to the day since my interview in London. I hope those of you who have applied, dont have to wait too long.

L
Old Jun 11th 2011, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sunnie. I've been walking around with a smile on my face all day. It means an awful lot to me, I didn't expect to feel like this as I have been waiting for (what feels like) ages, but I am soooo happy.

L

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.