Payment for work

Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Gill Burrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Payment for work

Could anyone advise me please about the going rate at which cleaners and gardeners are paid in Barbados? Also, if anyone rents out their property, what fees would you expect to pay someone to see guests into and out of the property and deal with any queries or problems that they may have?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Payment for work

We pay our cleaner $55 BBD per week. Where we live, it's mandatory to have a house cleaner, and the rate is not negotiable. She does a great job.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:59 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

If i'm not mistaken the minimum pay for a maid/housekeeper is 25.00 per day. or used to be anyway. doesn't sound like much I know, but.. I think by law, and I can find out (I think) it's 5.00 per hour for a minimum rate of 5 hours per day, regardless of how many hours under that someone comes in and cleans your home.

I can't tell you about the gardener.. Mine works for food..and a place to sleep at night.. hahaha.

I was told that rate about 13 years ago.. sooo.. I could be very wrong.. Our housekeeper has been with us for about 11 years and she currently works for about 220.00 a week. she works from approx 830 am to 230pm.. but mostly it's about 9am to 2pm.. (unless the kids are on holiday and I have things to do).

Also, we pay her national insurance - because she is required to have that.. my husand does this for her, and submits the forms.

with regards to the last bit.. I really am not sure about that. I would have to ask someone I know who has a place they rent and what they might pay someone to meet and greet etc.. Mostly the larger companies like Realtors and Bajan Services have Villa Managers who handle this for the ownders (and guests).

Last edited by Sunniebgi; Mar 27th 2009 at 9:06 pm. Reason: added info
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

I should add that our cleaner comes in one day per week so the rate is for that day - not for the entire week!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information about wages for cleaners, it is really useful.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice

Our gardeners come once a month, cut the lawn, prune trees, shrubs etc - general maintenance. They charge $90 a visit, which i think is ridiculously good value, as there are 3 of them working for around 3 - 4 hours.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

shazm is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone recommend a good landscaper who charges reasonable prices?
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Not mine, he eats our fruit, makes a mess, burned all of the "browns" that I was stockpiling for my compost bin, the banana trees are taking over the yard-- and finally, he comes whenever he feels like it!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

The $90 sounds like excellent value. Does anyone pay someone to let guests into and out of their property and just be on hand if there are problems? Apart from doing this through an official agent, I don't know what would be the going rate.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

You mean like an adhoc property manager? I would do that!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:46 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

need a property manager?? never done it before, but would be willing to see what I can do.. (just a thought).. no clue what the going rate is..
Old Mar 30th 2009, 2:48 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I know a friend who has a portfolio of properties she does that for as she does it as a business i could get her details if you needed them

Dipidy
Old Mar 30th 2009, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the offers. I actually have someone already who has offered to manage the property, I just didn't know the going rate. If it doesn't work out though, will post another thread.