Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Oneway Tickets to Barbados??

Oneway Tickets to Barbados??

Old May 21st 2007, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road
Default Oneway Tickets to Barbados??

Hi,

can you tell me how to deal with the flights when moving to Barbados? For vacation I know that you need a return ticket, but how is it when you fly there to live? Do you need a return ticket anyways? This would be kind of problem because we will need to fly either from Germany or UK, and when booking a flight for Jan. 08 now, you can´t book a return flight after May 08...........and we won´t need to go back before Summer 08, and then, only one of us will return.

I hope you can help me with this issue............thanks in advance!
Old May 21st 2007, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of
Default Re: Oneway Tickets to Barbados??

Originally Posted by Belinda1974
Hi,

can you tell me how to deal with the flights when moving to Barbados? For vacation I know that you need a return ticket, but how is it when you fly there to live? Do you need a return ticket anyways? This would be kind of problem because we will need to fly either from Germany or UK, and when booking a flight for Jan. 08 now, you can´t book a return flight after May 08...........and we won´t need to go back before Summer 08, and then, only one of us will return.

I hope you can help me with this issue............thanks in advance!
If you move there with a one way ticket you'll need to have some proof. Either stamp of a workvisa or something else....
If you don't have anything like that it's best to book a return and extend your stay at emigration every other 6 weeks.
By my experience it was cheaper to have a return, so that could be a reason aswell......
Don't you fly from Austria to a country where you'll fly direct to Barbados?
Old May 21st 2007, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by trutje
If you move there with a one way ticket you'll need to have some proof. Either stamp of a workvisa or something else....
If you don't have anything like that it's best to book a return and extend your stay at emigration every other 6 weeks.
By my experience it was cheaper to have a return, so that could be a reason aswell......
Don't you fly from Austria to a country where you'll fly direct to Barbados?
Hi Cathy,

one of us will definetely have a work visa when we fly
We can only fly from Germany to Barbados (with Condor) or via the UK with Virgin, flybmi, XL or BA. At the moment XL has the cheapest return tickets, but I am not sure yet if I can extend the return flight afterwards.....I will have to return to Germany in May 2008 for a graduation exam. My husband and my daughter will stay in Barbados, so we only need one return ticket in May, my daughter probably will return to Austria in July 2008 for few weeks. So this will be a little bit complicated.........or not? I am confused right now...........
Old May 21st 2007, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Hi Cathy,

We can only fly from Germany to Barbados (with Condor) or via the UK with Virgin, flybmi, XL or BA. At the moment XL has the cheapest return tickets, but I am not sure yet if I can extend the return flight afterwards.....I will have to return to Germany in May 2008 for a graduation exam. My husband and my daughter will stay in Barbados, so we only need one return ticket in May, my daughter probably will return to Austria in July 2008 for few weeks. So this will be a little bit complicated.........or not? I am confused right now...........
Hahahahah, you confusing me aswell.....
How do you get to Germany or UK then? If I understand you'll have to book a seperate ticket from Austria to UK, and do the same to Germany, or drive perhaps...??
If I was you I would look more for difference in price between one way and return.. When I went, there was more than 1000 euro difference. Couldn't understand why a one way cost that much more though.....
You might have to book new tickets next year.
Thanks for the tip about XL!!! That's short for what? I would like to look into that on the internet.
If we want to become residents of BB we need to chill a bit more though...We sound a bit like nervous wrecks at the moment,hahahhaha...
Old May 21st 2007, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Hahahahah, you confusing me aswell.....
How do you get to Germany or UK then? If I understand you'll have to book a seperate ticket from Austria to UK, and do the same to Germany, or drive perhaps...??
If I was you I would look more for difference in price between one way and return.. When I went, there was more than 1000 euro difference. Couldn't understand why a one way cost that much more though.....
You might have to book new tickets next year.
Thanks for the tip about XL!!! That's short for what? I would like to look into that on the internet.
If we want to become residents of BB we need to chill a bit more though...We sound a bit like nervous wrecks at the moment,hahahhaha...
Hi Cathy,

haha, yes, this all is confusing right now
We live in Salzburg, which is about 150 km from Munich, so flying from Germany to Barbados would be the shortest way, but they charge EUR 1.200,- for an adult ticket!!!!! When flying from UK (as I do most of the times I fly to Barbados, this time in July I fly with Virgin), we have to fly to London first, but the total flight price is cheaper than flying directly from Germany.

For example, if we will fly with Excel Airways from London to Barbados on Jan. 8th 2008 we would pay about GBP 339,- for an adult return ticket, GBP 316,- for the child ticket. The return flight from Salzburg to Gatwick cost about EUR 123,- for adult/child. So total this is cheaper than flying from Germany.

XL offers good prices if booking out of seasons: www.xl.com - it is Excel Airways, they fly from Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester to BGI.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Cathy,

haha, yes, this all is confusing right now
We live in Salzburg, which is about 150 km from Munich, so flying from Germany to Barbados would be the shortest way, but they charge EUR 1.200,- for an adult ticket!!!!! When flying from UK (as I do most of the times I fly to Barbados, this time in July I fly with Virgin), we have to fly to London first, but the total flight price is cheaper than flying directly from Germany.

For example, if we will fly with Excel Airways from London to Barbados on Jan. 8th 2008 we would pay about GBP 339,- for an adult return ticket, GBP 316,- for the child ticket. The return flight from Salzburg to Gatwick cost about EUR 123,- for adult/child. So total this is cheaper than flying from Germany.

XL offers good prices if booking out of seasons: www.xl.com - it is Excel Airways, they fly from Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester to BGI.
Thanks for the tip! It is a lot of difference hey! Last year januari I went to Holland to visit my parents and paid for adult, 950 euro and about 800 for one child!!! With BA though.
Once we'll all live there we need to have a drink in the Carib together, we deserve it I would say!
Old May 21st 2007, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Once we'll all live there we need to have a drink in the Carib together, we deserve it I would say!
.....I am so much looking forward to it!!! I KNOW that our both families will be there soon! So don´t give up
Old May 21st 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

.....I am so much looking forward to it!!! I KNOW that our both families will be there soon! So don´t give up
We will never give up! We have so many people behind us who want to help. Even some important Bajans. I'm sure this week is the week we'll find out more....
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:30 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cathy,

Hi Belinda,

rules of the airlines mean that everyone can only board with a one-way tickets if everyone travelling one way has a valid visa in their passport (residency visa that is). It applies for each traveller - not a family, so his visa is fine but you will all need one if you all want to travel on one-wayers.

so if your husband has a work visa he's fine, but if you or the kids dont have any residency visa yet in your passports you will be unable to board the plane at London. One-way ticket means you MUST HAVE A VISA

Its the airlines burden you see as you wont be allowed to enter Barbados on a one-way ticket with no visa so you'd just be turned straight round to come back - costing the airline your seat, so they just wont let you on.

we had the problem last yeat, visa's in our passports had expired - we were on the return leg of the ticket back to barbados, wouldnt let us board the plane. Had to wait until the afternoon, fax the company who faxed over our new visa paperwork which had been stuck in the immigration dept, and then Virgin let us fly with that fax.
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi islandmom,

thanks very much for your information, good to know.....but currently we think that the best would be to book return tickets anyways, because they are cheaper than one-ways (if able to get).
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:50 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi islandmom,

thanks very much for your information, good to know.....but currently we think that the best would be to book return tickets anyways, because they are cheaper than one-ways (if able to get).
I know - weird isnt it!!
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by islandmom
I know - weird isnt it!!
Could be 1000's difference:curse:
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

Belinda:

It is safer (and cheaper) to have return tickets. You best bet would be to make an equiry at the Barbados High Commission in London with regard to immigration matters. They can check with the immigration department if necessary.

John
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hi John,

thanks for your posting, but sorry for this (maybe silly) question:
Why should I contact the Barbados High Commission in London if I have a work permit AND return tickets? Is this necessary?
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

No, I was saying you should contact them if you wanted to know whether you could come in with a one-way ticket.

So, have you or your husband got a job offer yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.