British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   newbie to Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/newbie-barbados-573696/)

hwalnut Nov 17th 2008 10:42 pm

newbie to Barbados

Hello,

I'm mid twenties female moving over to Barbados in the next week for a job. I will be over for 4 months and be living in the St.Peter area (Mullins Bay) i think it is. Have had a look on the net for things i can become involved in. I would really like to meet some new people while im over there, and try out some new things. So if anyone fancies meeting for a friendly drink or doing something, that would be great.

Thanks

bimchick Nov 18th 2008 2:19 pm

Re: newbie to Barbados

I'm just curious, what industry are you working in?

Sunniebgi Nov 18th 2008 3:02 pm

and is your work permit in order???

hwalnut Nov 18th 2008 3:07 pm

yes it is all being done in order and has been arranged. if not i would not be coming, as dont want to be doing anything illegal.

sunriseinsummer Nov 19th 2008 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by hwalnut (Post 6983304)
Hello,

I'm mid twenties female moving over to Barbados in the next week for a job. I will be over for 4 months and be living in the St.Peter area (Mullins Bay) i think it is. Have had a look on the net for things i can become involved in. I would really like to meet some new people while im over there, and try out some new things. So if anyone fancies meeting for a friendly drink or doing something, that would be great.

Thanks

Hi, I have been to Barbados many times and am now thinking of living out there permanently. I have been to Mullins Bay several times and would warn you of one thing. When in the sea be carefull (although how you can be I do not know) but there are white/creamy things (a form of leech) in the sea that stick to your skin and sucks your blood. I had one stick to me and although I did not get any after effects it did hurt. I find the beaches on the west coast very stoney once in the water. If you get a chance, check out Miami, Dover or Sandy Beaches which are in Christchurch, south of Bridgetown. On a Friday night, a visit to Oistins is good - dancing, food and a great atmosphere. Hope you enjoy Barbados - I do.

damianpike Nov 20th 2008 12:48 pm

When i moved here ... 5 yrs ago ... i joined the Barbados Hash ... "for drinkers with a running problem".

They meet every saturday - and runs are set throughout the island. It`s a lovely group : complete mix of ex-pat`s and locals, different ages , some folk run, some folk walk.

I`ve made some awesome freinds and have been to pretty much everywhere on the island -not just the "tourist" or ex-pat experience.

Their website is www.barbadoshash.com or email me :)

Damian

Foxy_fromCanada Nov 24th 2008 9:16 pm

If you are into athletic stuff, there is a group of people who swim Carlisle Bay every Saturday morning. They usually start at 8am at the Yacht Club. It's not really organized by anyone in particular, just a group of people who do this every Saturday. I have just started going with them.

There are also groups of cyclists who cycle regularly. If you're a cyclist, I can put you in touch with some of them.

As well, there are a lot of people who go to the Garrison to run around the track in the evenings. It's nice and breezy there and you can run/walk with a group or on your own. I go regularly (when I'm not injured).

Finally, in a non-athletic vein, some people enjoy the quiz night at Ocean 11 bar in Dover (St. Lawrence Gap). You can go as a single and join someone's team, or come in a team of your own.

HTH,
Foxy

btw, I forgot to mention that all these activities are done by people of all levels, not elite athletes. Some are very athletic and strong, and others, like me, are still improving :)

hwalnut Nov 27th 2008 12:57 am

Thankyou guys for these - they are seeming very energetic, which is probably a good thing. I'm currently a fast paced walker -not quite running speed. I'm now over here, and haven't worked out where anything is as yet, howevert this weekend i will be taking a look around a bit more as i will get some time free. :D