newbie to Barbados

Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

hwalnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default newbie to Barbados

Hello,

I'm mid twenties female moving over to Barbados in the next week for a job. I will be over for 4 months and be living in the St.Peter area (Mullins Bay) i think it is. Have had a look on the net for things i can become involved in. I would really like to meet some new people while im over there, and try out some new things. So if anyone fancies meeting for a friendly drink or doing something, that would be great.

Thanks
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: newbie to Barbados

I'm just curious, what industry are you working in?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:02 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

and is your work permit in order???
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

yes it is all being done in order and has been arranged. if not i would not be coming, as dont want to be doing anything illegal.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

sunriseinsummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hwalnut View Post
Hello,

I'm mid twenties female moving over to Barbados in the next week for a job. I will be over for 4 months and be living in the St.Peter area (Mullins Bay) i think it is. Have had a look on the net for things i can become involved in. I would really like to meet some new people while im over there, and try out some new things. So if anyone fancies meeting for a friendly drink or doing something, that would be great.

Thanks
Hi, I have been to Barbados many times and am now thinking of living out there permanently. I have been to Mullins Bay several times and would warn you of one thing. When in the sea be carefull (although how you can be I do not know) but there are white/creamy things (a form of leech) in the sea that stick to your skin and sucks your blood. I had one stick to me and although I did not get any after effects it did hurt. I find the beaches on the west coast very stoney once in the water. If you get a chance, check out Miami, Dover or Sandy Beaches which are in Christchurch, south of Bridgetown. On a Friday night, a visit to Oistins is good - dancing, food and a great atmosphere. Hope you enjoy Barbados - I do.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

damianpike is an unknown quantity at this point

When i moved here ... 5 yrs ago ... i joined the Barbados Hash ... "for drinkers with a running problem".

They meet every saturday - and runs are set throughout the island. It`s a lovely group : complete mix of ex-pat`s and locals, different ages , some folk run, some folk walk.

I`ve made some awesome freinds and have been to pretty much everywhere on the island -not just the "tourist" or ex-pat experience.

Their website is www.barbadoshash.com or email me

Damian
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

If you are into athletic stuff, there is a group of people who swim Carlisle Bay every Saturday morning. They usually start at 8am at the Yacht Club. It's not really organized by anyone in particular, just a group of people who do this every Saturday. I have just started going with them.

There are also groups of cyclists who cycle regularly. If you're a cyclist, I can put you in touch with some of them.

As well, there are a lot of people who go to the Garrison to run around the track in the evenings. It's nice and breezy there and you can run/walk with a group or on your own. I go regularly (when I'm not injured).

Finally, in a non-athletic vein, some people enjoy the quiz night at Ocean 11 bar in Dover (St. Lawrence Gap). You can go as a single and join someone's team, or come in a team of your own.

HTH,
Foxy

btw, I forgot to mention that all these activities are done by people of all levels, not elite athletes. Some are very athletic and strong, and others, like me, are still improving

Last edited by Foxy_fromCanada; Nov 24th 2008 at 9:34 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Thankyou guys for these - they are seeming very energetic, which is probably a good thing. I'm currently a fast paced walker -not quite running speed. I'm now over here, and haven't worked out where anything is as yet, howevert this weekend i will be taking a look around a bit more as i will get some time free.