Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

moving to paradise with kids

moving to paradise with kids

Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:37 am
Just Joined

orgivan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to paradise with kids

hi everyobody
hope you could help a dreamer.
i would like to move to barbados with wife and 2 small kids. i have no connection to the barbados other than loving it.
firtsly, re work, i am a qualified lawyer and have a financial advisor qualification. do you think i could find any work, not in law but in financial advising to expats etc
re immigration, i would not like to move somewhere where if we got settled in we would be kicked out eventually as not being anble to get residency etc. i would really like my kids to be able to be a part of somewhere pleasant other than london(which isnt too pleasant) but also have a realistic chance of them building a life there as well.
i have enough cash to see me through the move initially for a year but i need to be realistic with a family to support so work is the main factor.
i love barbados and have always had a dream to live ther since i first visited at 15 years old. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:44 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to paradise with kids

I would say don't give up on your dreams, but at the present moment, coming to Barbados for a holiday, even if slightly extended, is all you really should dream for. Please read through the posts about immigration and getting status here as these days it is incredibly difficult to do that. Work permits, regardless of your qualifications, are extremely hard to get, and keep. There are many financial advisors on the island, some attached to banks, some not. Children would need Student Visas and this is usually tied to a work permit (although I don't know that for a fact).

Don't give up on your dream, but .. just keep reality in your sights.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Student Visa's are tied to work permits so if you don't have a valid work permit your child will not allowed to go to school.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:28 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the dream alive but i would say in obeyance with the current government the work permit or even extended visiting is just not happening for most. The previous government was very foreign investment orientated but there is a big shift against it here at the moment.

There are many other islands that would welcome your experience but the area you are skilled in is fully skilled both with locals and foreigners already. Due to the development of Barbados as the highest ranked "3rd world" country it is the jewel in the caribbean and other than locals filling work opportunities there is now the Caricom (similar to our European Union) that allows transfer of skills sets between caribbean countries and the favourite destination is Barbados.

You would have to be here for 5 years (Legally) to be able to apply for residency and that is by no means given easily so all in all right now compared to 5 years ago there is very little chance of you delivering the dream. However winds of change are ever present so just keep an eye on this site over the years and you will get to know if things get any easier

Sorry the news isnt more positive but with young children to consider i think its essential to provide people with a heavy dose of reality up front.

Last edited by Serendipidy; Feb 21st 2010 at 11:31 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:25 am
Just Joined

orgivan is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everyone
thanks for the replies and helpful info. reality looks like it will be hard to get a life there, but i will keep researching. hope you all keep enjoying the good life, have a banks for us xx
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:37 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orgivan
hi everyone
thanks for the replies and helpful info. reality looks like it will be hard to get a life there, but i will keep researching. hope you all keep enjoying the good life, have a banks for us xx
Don't just limit your search to Barbados. Barbados has become a victim of it's own success, hence the change in Government dircetion to try and preserve some of what is left for the local population. It is a very small island with so many people wanting to live there including the rich and famous with their retirement and holiday home in abundance. You are contending with these people, the returnees and some of the returnees children who have a legal right to citizenship and abode on the island. This does not leave much slack for anyone else at the moment. For a small Caribbean island Barbados is pretty developed, and unlike some of the other islands which may need your skills whilst they are developing, Barbados has already gone through this phase. I think you have missed the boat, but fortunately there are still other boats sailing to other beautiful Caribbean destinations.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:55 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Well put PG - Barbados is a destination that does not "need" further foreign skill sets but there are loads that desperately need it - I have loved being in "Paradise" whilst being here but its become more part of a journey for me rather than the ultimate destination - I love it here for health and recovery but for driving visions and delivering business opportunities I will keep looking into other islands
Old Feb 28th 2010, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

bajanwoman is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with most, it is very difficult to obtain residency or a work permit to remain in Barbados unless you have an attachment there. I was able to obtain citizenship through my parents, however my son is only able to obtain residency. My step children are unable to get anything as they do not have any family there and can only come as visitors. As there are now many people in Barbados that are not of barbadian decent, the current government are trying to perserve what is left for their own. I would say, do not give up and try other islands as you have valuable skills.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 3:09 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

it's not easy at all.. even for women married to bajan men. I heard a story tonight of one who took over 13 years of living here, started her application for citizenship in 2004 and has only just received her papers in January (and even with the law saying she is entitled to citizenship. the question isn't if she is allowed, but when she is allowed to receive it) .. was accused of many thing and had to finally get someone high ranking to intervene. another, I don't know the details, but I believe she is English, husband is bajan.. she is leaving the island with 2 children and may not get what she needs to stay here.. I'm sorry, but it's deplorable what this government is doing to families. and this isn't someone who has just flown in and hooked up some some scag of the beach, had a children and thinks they are going to stay here.. sorry.. just not happy about anything I'm hearing.. sooo.. try another island as I wouldn't want you to plop any of your money here and be totally disappointed or worse humiliated.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:59 pm

This new government just aint feeling foreigners - come visit spend money then go home is the resounding message - a response to the previous governments "open door" immigration policy. Two wrongs dont make a right tho - and if i gonna continue with cliches "dont throw the baby out with the bath water"

Last edited by Serendipidy; Mar 2nd 2010 at 1:01 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Wagxl is an unknown quantity at this point

I see that Shines says "Student Visa's are tied to work permits so if you don't have a valid work permit your child will not allowed to go to school"
Is that true even if the parent is retired and has an outside income? In other words, if the parent does not need to work, must he still have a work permit to allow his kids to go to school?
wag
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

No, you can get visas for your kids to go to school if you've got other kinds of status. We don't have work permits, but our kids had no problems.