Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving to Barbados - Practical questions

Moving to Barbados - Practical questions

Old Mar 8th 2008, 8:31 am
Just Joined

cloclo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Barbados - Practical questions

Hello, I am french and will be moving to the Barbados with my husband and two children (8 & 12 yrs old).
Apart from my husband, we don't speak english. Can anybody recommend a good school for them ?
Are there any french speakers on the island? Who can I contact to rent out a house ? Is it easy to find furnished flats -houses ? If so, how much would a house with 3/4/5/ bedrooms cost per month ? Could anybdy know of a trustworthy real-estate agency and send me its link ?

Lots of question of cours. Any help is welcome
Thanks,
Clo
Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to Barbados - Practical questions

Allo Clo,

Je suis canadienne anglo - mais je parle francais un petit peu. J'habite en Canada maintenant, mais je vais demenager a Barbados en juillet. Je voudrais pratiquer la langue, alors si vous voulez m'appeler en juillet, nous pouvons rencontrer? Et peut-etre je peux ameliorer mon francais!

Michelle
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Avec plaisir Michelle. Je dois également améliorer mon anglais donc nous pourrons discuter.
J'arrive à la Barbade en Juillet.
Let's get in touch so.
Kind regards
Clo
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:48 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

As Barbados is an English Speaking island, your children will need to learn some english to be placed in the schools.. I'm not 100pct sure what the qualifications are, but I'm not aware of any schools, public or private that actually teach lessons in French, however, I do know that at least one and I'm sure others, has a french speaker on staff/

They will go to different schools, likely depending on if you have a boy and a girl or 2 girls or 2 boys. there are only a few schools (all private) that have both primary (for the 8yr old) and secondary (for the 12yrs old) in one spot and 2 of those are all girls secondary (mixed primary).

St. Gabriel's does have a French Speaker on Staff, but she works with the infant department (ages 4-7), however she may be able to asssit. We currently have 2 girls at St. Gabriel's who's father is the predominiate English speaker of this French speaking family, but I believe the girls have adjusted very well.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:47 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cloclo
Hello, I am french and will be moving to the Barbados with my husband and two children (8 & 12 yrs old).
Apart from my husband, we don't speak english. Can anybody recommend a good school for them ?
Are there any french speakers on the island? Who can I contact to rent out a house ? Is it easy to find furnished flats -houses ? If so, how much would a house with 3/4/5/ bedrooms cost per month ? Could anybdy know of a trustworthy real-estate agency and send me its link ?

Lots of question of cours. Any help is welcome
Thanks,
Clo
Did you consider moving to one of the French speaking islands such as Martinique, St Martin or Guadeloupe ?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quote.
We have to prepare the kids (girl 12yo and boy 8yo) to english speaking world
The older has allready started.
I will try to contact St Gabriel.
Indeed we are arriving in Barbados and not in french Antilles.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:44 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

For your 12 yr old girl you may want to consider St. Ursulas (which is part of the Ursuline Convent Schools) or St. Winifreds for Secondary school. Your 8 yr old boy can also go to those schools but only until the age of 11yrs. This may be a better placement than St. Gabriel's if you want them to be in one school.

my 2 younger children go to St. Gabriel's. but my just turned 12yrs old daughter is at St. Ursulas and is enjoying it there.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Sunniebig,

I didn't catch.....
I f I want my two kids in the same schools which one I have to consider?
Many thanks
Cloclo
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Sorry I read carefully now........ ;-)
so it means that ifI want both in same schools St Winifred is the best option.
I've tryed to contact them by email but I failed. Do you have a valid email for St Winifred?
Many thanks again..........
Cloclo
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:04 am

If you want both children in the same school, St. Angelas/St. Ursulas- which are really one school but one for Primary (Boys and girls) and one for secondary (Girls only) .. These make up the Ursuline Convent Schools in Barbados (my 12yr old daughter is in her first year there). Not sure if they have an e-mail (I'm sure they do, I just don't have it).. but here is the address
Ursuline Convent
Collymore Rock
St. Michael (246) 426-5571

or St. Winifreds, which has a boys/girls Primary and girls only Secondary. or you can try The Codrington School at about triple the price. [email protected]

if you will be in Barbados for more than 3 years, your 8 yr old will have to sit an exam (that all school children at age 11 take) and then when he moves to secondary school at the time, he will have to go to another school.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:41 pm

re the real estate agent, try Jason McFarlane at Seaside Realty. [email protected] -

Found the e-mail of St. Ursulas School - [email protected]

Good luck.