Moving to Barbados

Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:14 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

See my input below - Sunniebgi

Originally Posted by

[LIST=1
[*]Cost of 3 - 4 bedroom houses

are you talking renting or owning?? try http://www.cariblist.com/ for some information.
[*]Best schools for Pre K, Kindergarten, Grade 1

Really depends on where you live, what you are looking for. Also, ages will be a factor. children here start at age 4.. Sept 1st is the cut off date for the age of a child going into primary school. so if they will be 4 turning 5 from Sept 1st to the end of June, they need to be in primary school). Primary will be up to age 11yrs.

My Children all went to St. Gabriel's School in St. Michael for their Primary Education. I recommend it highly but there are other good school as well. St. Angela's, St. Winifred's , Wills Primary, Providence and Codrington (which is run on the IB system and does not participate in the Barbados Ministry of Education curriculum - also costs much more than the rest)

) [*]SHould we ship our cars down instead of buying there

That would be your choice, but cars here are not cheap.
[*]can we bring our Corgis down - not sure
[*]Good car dealer - none, but..it depends on what you are looking for.
[*]As a Caricom individual do I need a work permit -

Caricom individuals can work with out a permit, but I'm not sure what the restrictions area. They had started with jobs such as Doctors Lawyers etc.. as far as who could work..
[*]What is there for an active mother to do with her kids.

There are some playgroups.. there are many after school activities and there is always the beach.
[*]I keep hearing the cost of living is high but in Jamaica it is unbearable, what would be an average cost for a family of 6

I'm sorry, I can't put a figure on the cost of living, but it's kind of all dependent on what you do and how you want to live.

Thanks all maybe I can start sleeping at night ( hah hah)[/LIST]-
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:23 am
Just Joined

rainer4902 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for getting back to me so fast and i'll get on the case today.
Cheers Gillian
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Bajan_Koala is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
I would marvel to hear what is actually free in Barbados apart from great scenery and interesting people - anything else usually comes with a price

Would love to hear from others what is free in Barbados that I might not have thought off (and i dont mean beaches and walking and such obvious things)
I am moving to Barbados, and would like to know if I need a work permit. I have my own income.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=568584&page=3

I've started a reply here. Generally frowned upon to multi-post, fyi
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

Persons looking for work in Barbados should be aware that the global economic downturn has made seeking gainful employment for all person rather difficult.

There are plenty born-and-raised Bajans looking for secretarial work and are aware of the going pay rates. Moving to Barbados without an idea of the comparable salary rate for said position may result in disappointment in the pay rate and type of work that may be expected of you. Also, as someone mentioned before, who you know can be more important than what you know. So that's the best place to start looking.

Job markets are funny, too. What works in one place may not work in another. Although internet communication works best in the US (possibly in the UK, cannot comment on that, as I am in the US). It may not be as effective in Barbados. I've gotten further with phone calls than I ever have with emails on various issues.

So a phone call followed by email communication might be helpful as well.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:06 am
CAY
Just Joined

CAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trees1
Hi everyone

I am new to this site and have a few questions re living and working in Barbados. I have recently (after two years of waiting!) been granted my Bajan citizenship. Me and my husband are hoping to relocate to Barbados next March or just after as soon as we can sort things out in London. I am a legal secretary and my husband works in HR at a law firm. Could anyone advise whether it would be relatively easy to get office work? It doesn't have to be law-based. In fact I would be interested in maybe working in the travel industry, maybe one of the big hotels for example/cruise companies etc etc. We are obviously not expecting to get the same salaries as in London but any idea what the approximate monthly wage would be for secretarial/office work? Is it worth starting to send off our CVs to various companies now or too early? Also if anyone can give me details of any recruitment agencies I would be grateful.

Another (slightly strange?) question.

I need to take thyroxine for the rest of my life as I have an under-active thyroid gland. It is free of charge in the UK. Is it also free in Barbados?

Looking forward to your replies.

Many thanks.

Trees
Hi Trees

To respond to your query on Thyroxine. It is available in Barbados by several brand names and in several strengths from 25mcg - 100mcg (0.1mg). You would not be able to get it free unless you were under 16 or 65 years and over and had a Barbados National Registration Card (ID card).

CAY
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

lawgrad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gillian

I am also from Scotland, and thinking of moving to Barbados with my wife. I am very intrested in how your new life is over in sunny Barbados.
We are looking for a better less stressed lifestyle. I would be grateful for any information that you feel might help us. I am an electronic engineer at present repairing LCD, Plasma, LED TV equiptment and hope to get a job in Barbados.

George
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

rainer4902 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi George,

we have now been here since the end of August and we do love it. When we came through immigration at the airport we got a six months vacation stamp on our passport. You are not permitted to work here unless you can do a job that a Bajan can't do. My husband is looking for a business to invest in like a restaurant or a pub where he would employ Bajans and hopefully this would help us gain a work permit and maybe a 3 year stamp on our passports. Its quite unsettling for us just now as at present we are due out of the country the end of February and we have no stability. You can fly out and back in again and get a 30 day stamp and then apply for an extension but immigration here isn't the nicest of places. Anything else you need to know please just get in touch as it is such a big move but a fantastic place

Gillian