Moth Woes!

Old May 24th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Moth Woes!

Hey all,

Anyone have any advice for where to get dry good that aren't infested with moths? Pasta, oatmeal, flour, cereals... most of these types of boxed/bagged dry goods usually contain moths and now they've made a home of our kitchen cupboards!

Any advice is appreciated. We do keep some of those things in the fridge nowadays.

Foxy
Old May 24th 2009, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Moth Woes!

All in the fridge in our house...I have also read that Bay Leaves in the dry goods deter the moths.
Old May 24th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bay leaves right in the boxes? We sprinkled them in the cupboard, but to no avail... Should I put them right in the oatmeal/flour/cereal/etc?

Thanks Zanne!
Old May 24th 2009, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Yes, and actually you can buy fresh Bay at the Cheapside Market on Saturdays.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:45 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zanne
Yes, and actually you can buy fresh Bay at the Cheapside Market on Saturdays.

I have a bay leaf tree in my back yard.. hardly ever use it.. but alas.. it also is supposed to help with roaches as well..

by the way.. in a Canadian/Barbadian Cookbook, put out by the Canadian Woman's Club a few years ago, there is a tip.. Always put your pasta/rice/oatmeal etc in the freezer for 24hours right after bringing it home.. will kill any of the little nasties that may be lurking.. and I have to tell you.. I've actually never seen a moth in any of those things.. other things.. but never moths..
Old May 25th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Hm, good tip! I will have to try that too. Thanks!
Old May 25th 2009, 1:06 pm
Saturday Surfer

Netsirk is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Moth Woes!

I did some checking (since this directly affects me...) and here are the options to get rid of moths in your oatmeal, pasta and other dried goods.
  • Place the oatmeal or whatever in a ziplock or airtight container
  • Put in the freezer for at least 24 hours, some gov't websites recommended 1 week. This kills the moth larvae which are super-tiny and can get into any box/bag.
  • OR
  • Heat to 140F for 15 mins.

Iowa State University Bug Department - Indian Meal Moth
Old May 25th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey! Look who's back!
Old May 25th 2009, 1:33 pm
Saturday Surfer

Netsirk is an unknown quantity at this point

I was here all along.... like the moths!!
Old May 27th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

You've lost a 'k' though.. Was it painful?
Old May 28th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

You are lurker, just like the moths!
Old May 28th 2009, 9:44 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Netsirk
I did some checking (since this directly affects me...) and here are the options to get rid of moths in your oatmeal, pasta and other dried goods.
  • Place the oatmeal or whatever in a ziplock or airtight container
  • Put in the freezer for at least 24 hours, some gov't websites recommended 1 week. This kills the moth larvae which are super-tiny and can get into any box/bag.
  • OR
  • Heat to 140F for 15 mins.

Iowa State University Bug Department - Indian Meal Moth
At the risk of sounding like a pompous **** ............ how can you heat pasta or rice to 140° for 15 minutes without it cooking or going sweaty and gluten-ey?

I live in Italy and the folks here just move stuff to the fridge in high season ...... either in containers or in very tightly pegged bags or bags wrapped in layers of cling film ......... but in the fridge.
Old May 29th 2009, 10:23 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to have to agree with Lorna.. didn't understand that heating thing myself.. unless you are supposed to nuke it in the micro.. but it will still cook and get all yucky.