Mosquitos

Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mosquitos

At this time last year I think we only got bitten a few times....this year it seems like there are a lot of mosquitos flying around everywhere.

Has anyone tried one of those bug zapper UV lights they're selling at PriceSmart? Do they even work?

We got some citronella natural oil to mix with body lotion as a natural fix. Anyone have ideas?

Zombie

Selling a bunch of stuff for great prices and throwing in some free items.
Check out my listings and pictures and email me if you're interested. Pictures are being added every day.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:22 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mosquitos

I've heard many people say it's worse this year.. likely because it was dry for so long and has been "wet" for about 2 or 3 months now.

as for the items in Pricesmart.. not sure.. we sometimes use citronella candles and I use a johnson and johnson product that comes in a little green bottle.. it's for babies, but I find it works. I also use Avon Skin so soft..
Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend talked me into buying one of those zappers.

I'm not convinced it works. It works fine with moths but they aren't doing any harm anyway. I don't think it would work with mosquitoes, not sure they are large enough.

My problem is finding somewhere away from the house where I can hang it. You can't have it near your living space as it just attracts everything from miles around to your door....lol

Originally Posted by BeachZombie
At this time last year I think we only got bitten a few times....this year it seems like there are a lot of mosquitos flying around everywhere.

Has anyone tried one of those bug zapper UV lights they're selling at PriceSmart? Do they even work?

We got some citronella natural oil to mix with body lotion as a natural fix. Anyone have ideas?

Zombie

Selling a bunch of stuff for great prices and throwing in some free items.
Check out my listings and pictures and email me if you're interested. Pictures are being added every day.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

CarlHnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cartoon
A friend talked me into buying one of those zappers.

I'm not convinced it works. It works fine with moths but they aren't doing any harm anyway. I don't think it would work with mosquitoes, not sure they are large enough.

My problem is finding somewhere away from the house where I can hang it. You can't have it near your living space as it just attracts everything from miles around to your door....lol
I've tried the Mosquito Magnet which has caught a few hundred of the blighters.

Oddly enough, the number of mossies has really dropped in the past week, anyone else noticed this?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I seem to be getting bit loads lately. I had what my husband suspects was Dengue a few weeks ago - felt really rough. The mozzies I seem to be 'swatting' have the white stripes on though - these are dengue ones I heard?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vikki85
I seem to be getting bit loads lately. I had what my husband suspects was Dengue a few weeks ago - felt really rough. The mozzies I seem to be 'swatting' have the white stripes on though - these are dengue ones I heard?
I've heard these are the dengue mossies too. I hired the Mosquito Magnet from A&S pest control. Certainly caught a few. But we actually found just shutting the windows and doors from 9-4pm the most effective method, as our front room was becoming a no-go zone otherwise.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

Have heard the same as you guys - there was an article last week saying there have been twice as many dengue cases this year as last in Barbados, but can't find the link to it now. I think there the numbers are still pretty low (40-odd cases if memory serves correctly), but it's worth being aware of.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

The mossie zapper bats are good fun too. Carters have them for 30BBD.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

We purchased a big mosquito net from Abed's at Sheraton Center ($30BBD) and placed it in the bedroom. It's large enough to cover our bed and the baby. Since doing so we've noticed a HUGE decrease in bites. I guess we were being eatin while sleeping.

Also, a few weeks ago our area was "fogged".

Lastly, for the baby, we place a single drop of pure citronella oil with his baby oil and it seems to work for him.

Zombie

Selling lots and lots of stuff. PM me for a listing of everything I'm selling
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

MoH have made a press release about dengue....

"Ministry of Health Barbados – Dengue Fever Alert No. 1
Issued August 16, 2010

Over the last few weeks, some countries in the Caribbean Region have been witnessing outbreaks of dengue fever. In response, the Government, through the Ministry of Health has intensified Dengue Fever surveillance and undertaken measures to reduce mosquito breeding places around the island.
The Ministry of Health wishes to inform the public that based on a sharp rise in suspected and confirmed cases of Dengue Fever we are experiencing an outbreak. Sixty-seven (67) cases of Dengue Fever have been confirmed so far this year. Twenty (29) cases, whose onset of symptoms occurred from the 11th July 2010 to the 7th August 2010, were confirmed by the laboratory during the first 2 weeks of August. Of these, three (3) cases were classified as Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever.
Members of the public are asked to note that public health officials will continue to undertake all preventive and control measures as are needed at this time. Physicians have been sensitised on the diagnosis and treatment of Dengue and laboratory support exists for the confirmation of Dengue cases. The Queen Elizabeth Hospital has measures in place for patients who require hospitalisation.
The Environmental Health Department, in an effort to reduce the Aedes aegypti mosquito population that transmits Dengue, continues to implement several prevention and control measures, such as house to house, hotel/guest house inspections; investigation of mosquito complaints and suspected as well as confirmed Dengue cases; fogging of mosquito infected areas; spraying of aircraft from Dengue affected areas, monitoring of the mosquito population at the ports of entry and treatment of mosquito breeding sites.
The Department has enhanced its capacity to plan its response to complaints from the general public by using a geographical information system to map all factors related to mosquito control. This is the first time that this technology is being applied to vector control management in Barbados and allows for more efficient deployment of resources.
The Environmental Health Department is also collaborating with a range of community stakeholders to conduct training in source reduction and to eliminate mosquito breeding in underground water collections.
Members of the public are reminded that eliminating places where water can collect around the home and community is one of the most effective measures for controlling mosquito breeding and stopping the spread of Dengue Fever. Such measures include: covering water containers, properly disposing of unwanted containers and tyres, covering and sealing wells and septic tanks; keeping roof gutters clean, and eliminating any other places where water can collect.
Dengue Fever is an acute, viral disease which is only spread by the bite of an infected Aedes aegypti mosquito. Symptoms include, sudden high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, which worsen with eye movement; muscle and joint pain, loss of appetite, measles-like rash on the chest and upper limbs; and nausea and vomiting. Persons who think they have Dengue Fever should not use aspirin or aspirin containing drugs.
Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever is usually a complication of repeat Dengue Fever infection, in which bleeding and shock may occur. It is advisable to seek prompt medical attention if any of these symptoms develop.
There are no travel restrictions for individuals entering or leaving Barbados. The Ministry of Health will continue to give regular updates as the situation warrants. "
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:08 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Just returned from a month in St lucia and I definately noticed an increase in the number of mosquitoes. In fact they started to get on my last nerves. Spray the bedrooms with insect repellent an hour before going to bed. Sleep under a net, invest in air conditioning. Do whatever it takes to prevent those buggers feasting on you, and of course causing that irritating itch. I declare mozzies the number 1 menace in the Caribbean One cheeky one even had the nerve to bite my lip
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

I've had a few friends come down with "Dengue like" fevers recently. Apparently the doctor said she's seeing a lot of this right now and it's highly contagious. Remember to wash your hands and stay home from work when you're not feeling well.

Zombie

Leaving Barbados...over 100 things to sell...checkout the classified
http://britishexpats.com/classifieds...p?product=4421
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:36 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeachZombie
I've had a few friends come down with "Dengue like" fevers recently. Apparently the doctor said she's seeing a lot of this right now and it's highly contagious. Remember to wash your hands and stay home from work when you're not feeling well.

]
To my knowledge you cant catch it from someoen else but only from being bitten by a mosquito who has it ie if ya friend has it and she gets bit and you get bitten by same mossie - I have had 2 strains of it and no one around me "caught" it
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

This is true, dengue is not contagious at all.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

THat was my thought, it can only be `caught`from mosquitos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.