Midwife looking for work

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:42 am
Just Joined

tunsie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midwife looking for work

Hello all. I posted in the jobs section but just in case it gets missed...I am a qualified midwife, doula, massage therapist and reflexologist looking to relocate to Barbados with my 3 year old son. Also currently undertaking a childminding course. I am after any kind of work in these fields and would be most grateful for any advice on obtaining gainful employment or offers of the same. I hope to hear from anyone soon. Many thanks in advance
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 6:25 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midwife looking for work

the first question would be.. do you have Barbados Citizenship?? or Caricom with a Caricom Work Certificate (not sure that's what it's called, but. .the ability to work in other Caribbean countries in the Caricom set up.).

if neither of these, you will need to get a work permit.. and I'm not sure that the hospital (QEH or Bayview) will apply for one for you.

Basically you can just move here and work.. so this would be the place to start..

If you have these items .. then I would start with QEH (Queen Elizabeth Hospital) or Bayview Hospital for a Midwife position.. There are a number of Massage Therepists on the island and Spas that you can contact as well (Check Barbadosyp.com to check those out - YellowPages..).

good Luck..
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

roses31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi tunsie,
Keep an eye on caribbeanjobs.com
About 2months ago, there were quite alot of hospital roles advertised on there, including vacancies for midwifes. It was for a new/refurbished hospital, cannot recall the name.
Good luck
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:32 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

HI Rosie.. If you live in Barbados than you are aware there are only 2 hospitals on the island. QEH - Queen Elizabeth Hospital (public - government) and Bayview (private).. Both use Midwives..but neither one is new and neither one has been refurbished recently.... It is possible they may have been looking for new applicants. Bayview has changed hands to a new management company (from what I understand, so this may be what you are talking about).

there are also , or used to be, some private groups that used midwives for the birthing process, but not sure if they are still active...
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

roses31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the midwife jobs was definitely advertised on caribbeanjobs.com. The name of the hospital? - I don't recall..but it was for a hospital in barbados.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 11:19 am
Just Joined

flower26 is an unknown quantity at this point

It may be St Joseph Hospital. I could have sworn I had read somewhere that it was being re-opened. Not sure but you can check there.
Old May 3rd 2013, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there is a birthing centre here too, my OBGYN mentioned it when I wanted a water birth.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:36 am
Just Joined

lucyr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am also a midwife looking to relocate . I have been qualified a year so only just started to think about it and research the emigration process. My partner and I travel to Barbados yearly and love it there. Am I right in thinking that midwifery in Barbados is much like the U.S. whereby midwives act as obstetric nurses and the docs carry out deliveries? Would be interested to hear from any international midwives there who have been through the process and can advise on likelihood of receiving visa/work, role of the midwife and salary.