Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

JOB HUNTING WELDER/FABRICATOR

JOB HUNTING WELDER/FABRICATOR

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:55 am
Just Joined

nikkie09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default JOB HUNTING WELDER/FABRICATOR

HI I LIVE IN THE UK WITH MY FAMILY AND WE ARE CONSIDERING MOVING TO BARBADOS, MY WIFES DAD IS BARBADIAN, SO THIS SHOULD ENTITLE HER TO CITIZENSHIP, WHICH SHE IS GOING TO SEND OF FOR NEXT WEEK,I JUST WANT TO KNOW ABOUT WORK IVE GOT ALL MY QUALIFICATIONS IN THIS SECTOR AND HAVE WORKED IT FOR 18 YEARS, IS THERE JOBS OVER THERE FOR THIS SECTOR AND DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA ON ROUGHLY WHAT THE WAGE WOULD BE? AS THIS WOULD HELP WITH KNOWING WETHER WE CAN AFFORD TO LIVE THERE, ALSO IS THERE ANY NUMBERS I COULD PHONE FOR POSSIBLE INTERVIEWS , AS I THINK I WOULD NEED A WORK PERMIT [AS IM NOT SURE HOW IT WORKS] CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE,,,JIM
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:35 am
Saturday Surfer

Netsirk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: JOB HUNTING WELDER/FABRICATOR

Originally Posted by nikkie09
HI I LIVE IN THE UK WITH MY FAMILY AND WE ARE CONSIDERING MOVING TO BARBADOS, MY WIFES DAD IS BARBADIAN, SO THIS SHOULD ENTITLE HER TO CITIZENSHIP, WHICH SHE IS GOING TO SEND OF FOR NEXT WEEK,I JUST WANT TO KNOW ABOUT WORK IVE GOT ALL MY QUALIFICATIONS IN THIS SECTOR AND HAVE WORKED IT FOR 18 YEARS, IS THERE JOBS OVER THERE FOR THIS SECTOR AND DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA ON ROUGHLY WHAT THE WAGE WOULD BE? AS THIS WOULD HELP WITH KNOWING WETHER WE CAN AFFORD TO LIVE THERE, ALSO IS THERE ANY NUMBERS I COULD PHONE FOR POSSIBLE INTERVIEWS , AS I THINK I WOULD NEED A WORK PERMIT [AS IM NOT SURE HOW IT WORKS] CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE,,,JIM
Hey Jim,

you definitely need a work permit to work down here legally and it can be a very LONG and painful process.

There are some tricky rules (from what I understand) about whether it's the husband or wife who has citizenship. I believe it makes a difference if she has the citizenship instead of you so make sure and ask. Talk to the Barbados gov't representative in a city near you. Not sure where you are but they should have consulate nearby.

I'll ask around and see if I know anyone who knows anyone who's a welder and how much the wage is. A quick google of "welder barbados" gets some hits so you can start there looking for numbers. Remember, people on islands hire local first, so you need to be able to do something they are in strong need of, or pretend to be more local than you are ;-)

You'll have plenty of time to find a job while you guys work out your citizenship and immigration details so it's good that you're starting now.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:28 am
Just Joined

hello,
Thankyou for your help its very much appreciated,im actually a plater/welder/fabricator, i dont really know if i do anything different than others out there in barbados,as i dont really know what they do , i know they make gates ,and i can do that[out of steel]out here in the uk im a forman,im in charge of a gang of men,i also do the platering and fabricating also,we were told of off someone that if the woman is a citizan of bb then i should get residence, but i will phone up on monday to find this out,we didnt actually realise that this was going to be such a long drawn out thing, im wondering wether it would be easier to do from over there once my wife receives citizenship,,but like i said ill do lots of enquiring,
the wages wont have to be on par with what i earn over here as i realise that its all different way of life over there,as long as i could feed my family and put a roof over there heads.,yet again thankyou for your thoughts and help,,,look forward to speaking to you in the future,,,,jim
Old Sep 7th 2008, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nikkie09
hello,
Thankyou for your help its very much appreciated,im actually a plater/welder/fabricator, i dont really know if i do anything different than others out there in barbados,as i dont really know what they do , i know they make gates ,and i can do that[out of steel]out here in the uk im a forman,im in charge of a gang of men,i also do the platering and fabricating also,we were told of off someone that if the woman is a citizan of bb then i should get residence, but i will phone up on monday to find this out,we didnt actually realise that this was going to be such a long drawn out thing, im wondering wether it would be easier to do from over there once my wife receives citizenship,,but like i said ill do lots of enquiring,
the wages wont have to be on par with what i earn over here as i realise that its all different way of life over there,as long as i could feed my family and put a roof over there heads.,yet again thankyou for your thoughts and help,,,look forward to speaking to you in the future,,,,jim

Not sure when you are thinkign of moving over, best to get your wife's paperwork in process in Uk as it is probably faster. You will not be able to work until you gain your residence, that could take quite some time....

You may well be better looking for work on the many building sites as a foreman/project manager where they may offer work permits to save you some time...

Good luck
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

hello ,and thankyou for your reply, i think ill do that then, were not planning on coming over there untill next feb-april,its just depending on how long it takes for my wifes citizenship to come back,my wife is thinking of opening up her own business out there,but its just seeing how money goes first,but i will still need a job,anyway thankyou for all your advice ,james