Insurance

Old Jun 12th 2009, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insurance

When I stayed in Barbados for 6 months in 2007 I took out a travel insurance policy to cover for health, baggage etc for the duration. But for my upcoming trip, I am not sure what I should do re insurance as I am planning on coming back to UK for a few weeks in the spring but not sure when yet and my ticket is only booked until December anyway. What did you guys do (esp the UK ex pats) about insurance, or did you even bother with it?

Many Thanks

Not long to go now, 3 weeks and counting.................
Old Jun 12th 2009, 6:28 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance

Originally Posted by vikki85
When I stayed in Barbados for 6 months in 2007 I took out a travel insurance policy to cover for health, baggage etc for the duration. But for my upcoming trip, I am not sure what I should do re insurance as I am planning on coming back to UK for a few weeks in the spring but not sure when yet and my ticket is only booked until December anyway. What did you guys do (esp the UK ex pats) about insurance, or did you even bother with it?

Many Thanks

Not long to go now, 3 weeks and counting.................
Hey Vikki

I got a years insurance with Insure and Go was about £120 someting like that and covers me for endless trips i think up to 90 days - give them a ring and explain your situaion - dont say you moving here tho just say you coming and going

When you get here and are settled i know my gf has a health policy that is $1000bds a year which covers her for everything not sure if you have to be here a certain time to get the cover but if Insure and Go can sort you for the first yea its a good start

Oh by the way Vicks - have you sorted out a bank account here yet??? Getting one was a nightmare for me so if you havent bring up a reference from your current bank as they will want that - I use RBTT cos they was the most customer friendly when i was setting out but even then it was painful. Also consider opening a nationwide account and having money in that cos you can draw it out with minimum charges here -it used to be completely free but they are no longer offering that - Im not sure if you are aware that you are only allowed to bring in $10,000bds anyting else has to go thru central bank and becomes tiresome etc

If i think of anything else that you might do to save money etc i will shout you (if you have any room in ya luggage which i severely doubt if you antying like me lol - i want some more walkers baked crisps - they cost the same per packet here as a packet of 6 do lmao!! )

Dips
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hadn't thought about opening an account over there yet. I have a flex account with nationwide and they charge 1% to use the ATM which is the best around at the moment - Lloyds charge £2 each time!!!

I will look ou for the crips for you if I have room. I am stocking up on galaxy choc ready to take with me as I know I will miss that big time! lol x
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

butterflysue1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank account

I had no trouble opening a bank account here before I bought my house and moved here. I'm with First Caribbean all I took was my passport but I did give the address of the house I was buying. You get a better interest rate on saving here as apposed to UK so may be worth bringing some cash over with you to deposit. If you deposit more than 10,000bds in one go just produce the statement from the account the cash came from and you'll be fine (you have to fill in a form about money-laundering). You've still got time to sort this out before you get here Vicki
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

butterflysue1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've also got Galaxy chocolate coming in July!!