Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Infested with ticks... Anyone have any more ideas?

Infested with ticks... Anyone have any more ideas?

Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough
Default Infested with ticks... Anyone have any more ideas?

Hi everyone,

So my 4 dogs and garden are infested with ticks (yes 4 now, I got another rescue dog last week). I have treated them with Amitraz (recommended by vet) and sprayed the garden with more chemicals. I have repeated this again a week later and have also used tea tree on the dgos in the hope the ticks will not like the smell (just like head lice). I also have another chemical from the vet to put on the dogs in 2 days to deter more from attaching themselves...

Anyone have any other ideas I can use - would like to steer away from chemicals but there are so many ticks I have had to be aggressive. They are still fighting back though...!

Used Frontline Plus in the past but this seems to have no affect on them.

Anyone..?
Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Infested with ticks... Anyone have any more ideas?

Shines...look at this one, maybe it makes the ticks a little tipsy???

Tick Spritzer Blend:
2 drops of Lavender, Basil, Lemon, Opoponax, Eucalyptus
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vodka
1 cup of dried marjoram, eucalyptus, rosemary
2 cups of water

It came from here...

http://healing.about.com/od/dogs/a/canineticks.htm

Now can you help me start a kitty litter import business? It's a full time job tracking down kitty litter here!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:22 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

We always used something called TacTic (I think that's it - local stuff) but I'm sure it's strong. Also frontline plus (which we used to get from Gus Reader the Vet in the Belle Industrial area, and it was cheaper than in the US).

We don't have a dog anymore, sooo.. don't have that problem at the moment
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:24 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zanne
Now can you help me start a kitty litter import business? It's a full time job tracking down kitty litter here!
ShopSmart, Holders Hill has Kitty litter.. large box about 25.00bbd (saw it there this morning on my shopping trip) You can call them, they will not give you the price, but will tell you if they have it. If you don't have a card and you need/want to go, let me know.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Thanks sunnie...I got (4) 20lb bags yesterday at SC for $16.99/ea, had to guard it with my life!!!

On a separate note do you go to both PriceSmart and ShopSmart or just ShopSmart-- I am thinking of abandoning PS when my membership comes up in May.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:56 pm

I do both, as I find that both have things that I want.. I usually end up buying things for the laundry at ShopSmart and I also find that if you need little plastic things to put things in, they have them at the best price (usually). I go to pricesmart sometimes for beef and chicken, if I need alot at a time. Lower price etc. and I can get some things at at one that I can't get at the other.

Soo.. ShopSmart is less for the membership.. but I still keep both. You may also realize that ShopSmart is more Bajan and Pricesmart more North American.. if you know what I mean.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes siree bob...I know what you mean, that's what I figured. Thanks.