Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Immigration aint playing!!!

Immigration aint playing!!!

Old Dec 13th 2008, 12:10 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration aint playing!!!

Originally Posted by flyingprincess
Im now desperatly looking for work as in the UK i worked as cabin crew in the airlines and also as a reservations consultant for a large tour operator. If anyone has any contacts or help with regards to this line of work or how I can find out about positions at the airport I would be extremely grateful.
I suggest that you get your resume/cv prepared along with any copies of work permit documents etc, and go out to the airport and go to each counter and ask. some will tell you may have to apply directly with the airline, but others may not. Try Seawell Air Services, but prepare to work long strange hours.. Next thing would be to call the tour operators (check the yellow pages) and see what they might have. They may tell you they aren't hiring as they have their numbers for the season, but you never know.

good luck
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bimchick
What are your sources that they are removing all the "bim-lovers" Belinda?
Hi,

Well, unfortunately I can't tell you more, since I already got problems once by telling the truth I heard from an insider. I just can tell you that that is what is going on. Sorry.....
Of course they can't remove all of them, but they will try hard to bother as many as possible.....
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:12 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

What's their logic behind it Belinda? dont seem to make sense as this is a source of income for the island - but guess they got some thinking behind it?- so my gfs are right to be worried then? I myself am going down the business route for renewal so will let you all know if it affects that side of things as well

Im hijacking my own post here but im looking for a washing machine, chest of drawers and TV if anyone in Bim know anyone selling any of those items let me know on private

SDipidy
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Went to immigration today to ask for my passport back--unstamped I might add.

I went to the front and asked for my passport and the woman said "We not doin that today, u can come back tomorra" I will add it was 1:00 in the afternoon.

So, tomorrow I am going to go sit at immigration, probably for the day, to get my unstamped passport back so I can leave. Hopefully they'll give it back tomorrow. I can't imagine my reaction if after sitting in immigration for the entire day they once again say to me, "oh no we not doin that today"

So anyone know how to get into Canada without a passport?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:43 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Lol how ironic if they had actually stamped it!!

I know someone else due to pick theirs up this week as is flying.

My lawyers also confirmed today that someone got turned down for their intial work permit and was told they have to leave the island for 1 year!

I did hear a couple of months back that they are not issueing any new work permits so those of you considering right now be careful cos if you dont get it they tell ya to go soon and not to come back for quite a while

Dipidy
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

I don't see how they can hold your passport like that, what of you had a medical emergency?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Bimchick, I don't know, I think you're getting hosed. I had to demand mine back for the same reason. The hilarious thing is that it was stamped already! They just weren't organized enough to give the darn thing to me.

Try the Canadian Embassy regarding your rights. The passport is the property of the Canadian government and I don't think Barbados Immigration can hold it from you. See site below for Embassy contact information:
http://www.canuckabroad.com/canadian...idgetown.shtml

Serendipity - not sure if that's true about the work permits as mine was approved in the last couple of months.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Good point Foxy, they seem to make the rules up as they go without regard for anyone's rights.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:11 pm

Ok thats good news then Foxy so its not a carte blanche blank on work permits then - can i ask did you apply for a short or long term permit and was it sponsored by a company?

Dipidy
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

I actually have the consular calling me in the morning regarding my passport. I will go tomorrow and try to get it and basically, I'm not leaving until I get it. It has been hijacked by the barbados government!
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:22 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

2 things..bimchick.. you have your airline ticket to fly.. take it with you and show it to the person behind the counter in the morning.. Tell them under no terms will you be leaving without your passport because you have a flight.

2.. get the Canadian High commission involved.. it is there property that you are holding.

honestly.. I'd say.. for you.. go and don't come back (except maybe to visit).. just because it sounds like you have had enough and anymore wouldn't be a good thing.. I know that sounds harsh.. but..

just remember.. it's not a bed of roses for a Bajan in the US or Canada or UK either, when it comes to the process of immigration and work permits.. so. it works both ways.. You can tell me it was, re your husband, but for many people, it's not.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Ok thats good news then Foxy so its not a carte blanche blank on work permits then - can i ask did you apply for a short or long term permit and was it sponsored by a company?

Dipidy
Long term, and yes it was sponsored by a company. I've heard it is nearly impossible when people try to do the paperwork themselves, though.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Long term, and yes it was sponsored by a company. I've heard it is nearly impossible when people try to do the paperwork themselves, though.
Foxy, what industry do you work in (that sponsored your work permit?)
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:29 pm

Yeah you are right Foxy mine is sponsored by myself - and my own company which i still need a work permit to work for. However I believe what is meant to be will be and am going to make sure i have a backup plan for when my renewal comes up.

Barbados is now my home but Belinda has given some excellent food for thought on this site along with a couple of others if you piece it all together.

Him upstairs knows better than us whats good for us so ill follow his plans

Oh by the way lol remember the $100 drivers permit i found somewhere that still doing it for $10 shhhhhhshshshs lol - thats me sorted for another year lol

Dipidy
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

I got my passport back!!!!!!!!!!!

UNSTAMPED!

I sat at immigration and had what little pull I had get me my passport. My husband's uncle is friends with someone who works at immigration so they found my passport and after sitting there for 45 minutes I got it back. It has no stamp in it at all, but I don't really care. YAY!!

But apparently, they are just giving passports back because they haven;t stamped any in over 2 months. So really, the question is, why would anyone ever bother paying the $50 and getting the passport stamped if they don't stamp it in the end and you just leave with it unstamped?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.