Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

How much is enough for Barbados?

How much is enough for Barbados?

Old Jul 15th 2011, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

FionaJem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much is enough for Barbados?

Sorry to start with the thorny subject of money but wondered if anyone has any idea how much money we would be expected to show that we have to be allowed to retire to Barbados. They state on the Immigration Dept website that a person can be granted the status of immigrant if they can prove they can support themselves. We currently have proveable net assets in the region of £850,000 and wondered if anyone knows whether this would be enough to open the door for us. If not, does anyone have any experience of what they are looking for? We do not want to take up employment there. We are under 55 and are UK citizens. We have no family connections to Barbados.
If we were granted imigrant status would we be safe from being kicked out at short notice? We would want to buy a house and have two dogs so would need some degree of certainty. Dont know if this helps but we already own a holiday apartment there.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 1:43 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much is enough for Barbados?

Honestly, I don't know if there is a set bottom end amount. I think the only people that might know this is the immigration department and then, in all likelihood, they would be a bit vague if asked. I'm sorry I'm not help with this. the only thing you could do, is start the process.. and see where it goes.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply. I am pleased that at least you did not think it was totally out of the question that we try. No-one has so far suggested any reason to rule us out. We will try to make an appointment with Immigration when next in Barbados (they dont reply to my emails). If I get any further info on this I will post it here for other people to see.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived 3 years ago and were told by Miss Weeks-Chief Immigration Officer that we were too young to get retirement status in Barbados. (45 & 55). We thought it would be easier to say we weren't working though we still have a business in the UK with 16 staff, we don't do much these days.

I'm not really sure how they decide when we can retire. We have the funds to support ourselves but are still classed as visitors. We have one year visitors visas which are due to be renewed in August.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

evie202 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FionaJem
Sorry to start with the thorny subject of money but wondered if anyone has any idea how much money we would be expected to show that we have to be allowed to retire to Barbados. They state on the Immigration Dept website that a person can be granted the status of immigrant if they can prove they can support themselves. We currently have proveable net assets in the region of £850,000 and wondered if anyone knows whether this would be enough to open the door for us. If not, does anyone have any experience of what they are looking for? We do not want to take up employment there. We are under 55 and are UK citizens. We have no family connections to Barbados.
If we were granted imigrant status would we be safe from being kicked out at short notice? We would want to buy a house and have two dogs so would need some degree of certainty. Dont know if this helps but we already own a holiday apartment there.
Hi , you are not going to like this but it's better that you know now before wasting your time . We have just been through exactly what you describe with no success . We have substantial assets , we have a large amount of funds coming in from elsewhere to support ourselves and do not want to work in bbs . They will do almost anything as per the present government's wishes to make sure no-one is allowed to stay , they have even cut 6 months to 3 months extensions , for no apparent reason . We waited a year for an interview , we got there and they told us we had to be retirement age , then someone else came over to tell us we had to be resident in bbs for three years to apply for immigrant status ( no idea what he was talking about ) how could we be resident for three years when they won't let you stay ?! Our interview was months ago , we have heard nothing but as she basically told us it was hopeless we are not sticking around . I asked what the age for retirement was and she wouldn't say , i asked why they accepted our application and she wouldn't say . We have a business in bbs which is leased out , if this runs out we will take it elsewhere , making 8 -9 bajans jobless , they don't care about that either . Seriously BARBADOS IS CLOSED FOR BUSINESS !! Go almost anywhere else , ( except the TCI they are worse ! ) Sorry to be bearer of bad news but it's not just us this has happened to , we know of many more , please don't waste your time !
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:22 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Whats TCI evie?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Whats TCI evie?
Turks and Caicos Islands Serendipidy , no go right now . Trying St Martin next , 3rd time lucky !!!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by evie202
Hi , you are not going to like this but it's better that you know now before wasting your time . We have just been through exactly what you describe with no success . We have substantial assets , we have a large amount of funds coming in from elsewhere to support ourselves and do not want to work in bbs . They will do almost anything as per the present government's wishes to make sure no-one is allowed to stay , they have even cut 6 months to 3 months extensions , for no apparent reason . We waited a year for an interview , we got there and they told us we had to be retirement age , then someone else came over to tell us we had to be resident in bbs for three years to apply for immigrant status ( no idea what he was talking about ) how could we be resident for three years when they won't let you stay ?! Our interview was months ago , we have heard nothing but as she basically told us it was hopeless we are not sticking around . I asked what the age for retirement was and she wouldn't say , i asked why they accepted our application and she wouldn't say . We have a business in bbs which is leased out , if this runs out we will take it elsewhere , making 8 -9 bajans jobless , they don't care about that either . Seriously BARBADOS IS CLOSED FOR BUSINESS !! Go almost anywhere else , ( except the TCI they are worse ! ) Sorry to be bearer of bad news but it's not just us this has happened to , we know of many more , please don't waste your time !
Many thanks for your honest replies. As you say, it is better that we know now. Of course, all the estate agents tell us it is no porblem at all! I think we are going to post a new thread now asking people about which other islands are easier to get into if you dont want to work. We wondered about Antigua but we will bear in mind what you have said about St Martin and TCI.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FionaJem
Many thanks for your honest replies. As you say, it is better that we know now. Of course, all the estate agents tell us it is no porblem at all! I think we are going to post a new thread now asking people about which other islands are easier to get into if you dont want to work. We wondered about Antigua but we will bear in mind what you have said about St Martin and TCI.
St Martin , Guadaloupe , St Barths and Martinique are within the EU , entry no problem . The estate agents just have no scruples , they know very well that it's almost impossible , the poor people who have houses here and have been spending 6 months a year here and 6 in England are only getting 3 months at a time here now to visit their homes , so unfair .