Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

How did your move affect the children?

How did your move affect the children?

Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

AnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura about
Default How did your move affect the children?

How long did it take before your kids got used to Barbados?

I really would like to know how the bajan kids treated your kids being they were from the UK. Were there any growing pains?

Any advice you give in this area would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Anthony

Last edited by AnthonyNYC; Mar 16th 2011 at 1:43 am.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How did your move affect the children?

Depends how old your children are and what school you send them to.

If you send them somewhere like Providence/Codrington then there will be many other ex pat children and they will just blend in, Does not mean the children won't be mean, children tend to be anyway...

If you send them to more Barbadian schools then there may be some issues with differences, again depends on the age and probably the sex. Girls are generally a lot meaner than boys. But again this is just children being children.
Culturally how they have been raised may cause difference and therefore issues but this is just part of relocating to another culture.

My daughter was 2 when I moved here and tbh we had more issues with the cliquey expats than I have ever had with the Bajans.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

AnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by shines
Depends how old your children are and what school you send them to.

If you send them somewhere like Providence/Codrington then there will be many other ex pat children and they will just blend in, Does not mean the children won't be mean, children tend to be anyway...

If you send them to more Barbadian schools then there may be some issues with differences, again depends on the age and probably the sex. Girls are generally a lot meaner than boys. But again this is just children being children.
Culturally how they have been raised may cause difference and therefore issues but this is just part of relocating to another culture.

My daughter was 2 when I moved here and tbh we had more issues with the cliquey expats than I have ever had with the Bajans.
Thank you for the reply Shines. I have 2 daughters, ages 7 and 11. The 7 year old is very excited but the 11 year old does not want to leave her friends in school.

Thanks,

Anthony
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:26 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Anthony, let the 11 year old know that It will be a new experience and that with the computer, e-mail etc, they aren't that far away. She can do reports, blogs etc, to show her friends back home her new country. it's a totally different way of life for an 11/12 year old here in Barbados and what you may find is that once she is here, she will settle just fine, even if she doesn't think so.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
Anthony, let the 11 year old know that It will be a new experience and that with the computer, e-mail etc, they aren't that far away. She can do reports, blogs etc, to show her friends back home her new country. it's a totally different way of life for an 11/12 year old here in Barbados and what you may find is that once she is here, she will settle just fine, even if she doesn't think so.
Hi Sunnie,

Thanks for the encouraging advice. She is an excellent student, does great in school, does great with music, plays the flute and sings and has longtime friends. Many years ago we chose our neighborhood so the same children she went to pre-school with are the same children she would go to high school with. We will be in Barbados again for one month in the summer, sort of a "test" of what it would be like with me working and my wife at home with our 2 daughters.

Thanks again,

Anthony