Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Getting married in Barbados

Getting married in Barbados

Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Babygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married in Barbados

My partner and I talk about getting married. We consider just a court wedding, but also talked about having the ceremony on a beach. Which I would prefer. Does the court in Holetown do the ceremony or you have to go to Bridgetown? Would it be just as easy to get a priest to come to a beach with us? How many witnesses is required in Barbados? None of us been married before, he is Bajan but what papers do I need to bring with me as a british citizen to be able to marry in Barbados? Is there a regulation on how long you need to have been on the island before you get married? And do you have to make an appointment for the court? Is it usually a long wait? Hopefully someone on here that can give some advise. Thank you.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:08 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married in Barbados

http://www.weddings.co.uk/info/abroad.htm#barbados

Barbados
Original Birth Certificates.
Valid 10 year passports.
Full names, addresses, occupations and religions.
Full names of both sets of parents (if not on Birth Certificates).
Return airline tickets.

If divorced - Decree Absolute with court stamp.
If widowed - Death Certificate of former spouse and previous Marriage Certificate.
If name has been changed by Deed Poll - legal proof stamped and signed by a solicitor. This also applies if a married woman has reverted back to her maiden name.
If adopted - the adoption certificate.
If aged under 18 years - parental consent in the form of Statutory Declaration stamped and signed by a solicitor.

Minimum residency before wedding - 1 working day.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I married my Bajan boyfriend in 2009. We used Lisa at Island Bliss weddings, she was great. We got married in a church though, although a friend of mine got married on a beach and I think it was pretty sstraight forward.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

tng1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey love,

It is pretty simple to do it on the beach, even if you have a small budget. Once you choose which beach you want you get the priest or if civil marriage go to the poice station in the parish the beach will be and file in the application to get married. They will arrange for a judge to marry you on the beach, this only needs to be done a week before your wedding date.

Good luck. xx
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:44 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tng1
Hey love,

It is pretty simple to do it on the beach, even if you have a small budget. Once you choose which beach you want you get the priest or if civil marriage go to the poice station in the parish the beach will be and file in the application to get married. They will arrange for a judge to marry you on the beach, this only needs to be done a week before your wedding date.

Good luck. xx
The police arrange weddings??? rah no wonder the crime rate is going haywire lol
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

tng1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lollll, yea i know. I was a bit baffeled when i was trying to arrange our wedding on the beach. But it is pretty simple, I found out because my husband did not want a priest and so that is what you would do.