British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Expats ejected from the island (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/expats-ejected-island-604693/)

zanne May 2nd 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Expats ejected from the island

I hate to break it to you but you generally want to avoid having any evidence in your passport of being deported from any country.

Serendipidy May 2nd 2009 7:41 pm

[QUOTE=minisoufka;7536036]

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada (Post 7499987)

Some say if Immigration has your passport, you're legal here while they keep it. QUOTE]

Thing is I don't think they keep the passports any more... at least they didn't keep my husband's or any of his colleagues. Now he's been waiting for renewal of work permit since early February and I've been waiting for my extension since early March. Looks like the extension I aksed for (3 months as I didn't even dream of being granted more due to hubby's work permit in process) will expire by the time I get it.

Can anyone tell me - if they reject my application for extension, do I immediately have to leave the island? Or do they give me one day or one week? Or can I immediately apply for another extension? ;)

(I'm actually planning to leave the island in August and never come back again - maybe I should just wait until they 'eject' me? ;)

I spoke to Mr Banfield (WP Supervisor) last week and he has confirmed that re work permit renewal status remains in place whilst they are reviewing the renewal ie can work. However re your visa i would just turn up as if you are doing a renewal again as you are here legaly otherwise they would have told you to go. Re how long for people to leave my gf was given 3 days but a lawyer got involved and she got 2 weeks mind you she was deported for a year.(this wasnt a visa ext tho).

Sorry to hear you wont be back - many people think Barbados is paradise and how lucky we all are but unless you can really get your "head around the place" then it can be even more stressful than "home".

minisoufka May 2nd 2009 8:42 pm

thanks for the answers :)

Zanne, I was joking - obviously I don't want to be deported. I just sometimes choose to laugh at my situation and the way things are - helps me stay sane :)

Dipity, thanks for your expert advice - detailed and helpful as usual. I think I'll wait a few more weeks for my husband's work permit - if they sort it out at last, I will apply for another extension to keep me going till August, if not, I will arrange a few trips to other islands before going back home for good.

It's funny about me leaving - I feel almost guilty about being so happy about it. But it was only after we decided on my leaving date that good mood and my real self returned (even though we'll be away from each other with my hubby for a few months). I must say the last few months have been the most tearful and miserable in my life :(

Barbados is a gorgeous place. I love and appreciate many, many things about it. It's just completely not for me in the long run.

PS. It sounds like a goodbye, but I'm not going yet! Will post a few more things here for sure :)

zanne May 2nd 2009 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by minisoufka (Post 7536182)
I must say the last few months have been the most tearful and miserable in my life :()

That's unfortunate, I sure that when you leave you will be able to gain some perspective on the experience-- things are never as bad as they seem.

Best of luck...

minisoufka May 2nd 2009 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by zanne (Post 7536194)
That's unfortunate, I sure that when you leave you will be able to gain some perspective on the experience

Oh, yes! I already am gaining some perspective:) I can actually see myself missing some of the one-and-only-Bajan specialities (like the exctitement I get from finding cheap lettuce in SuperCentre, the green lizards on my balcony, and the whistling frogs which i will truly miss :)

Regards,
M.

Foxy_fromCanada May 3rd 2009 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by minisoufka (Post 7536036)
Can anyone tell me - if they reject my application for extension, do I immediately have to leave the island? Or do they give me one day or one week? Or can I immediately apply for another extension? ;)

I'm not entirely sure, but I've heard different lengths of time. Some had to leave the very next day; others were given a week or so. Probably depends on the situation and how much time you have left in your passport.

butterflysue1 May 3rd 2009 5:24 pm

I knew someone here last year who had had a child here and overstayed and she was given 30days to leave her passport was flagged up. She has returned since but I'm sure her information with Immigration has been highlighted so it doesn't happen again. Its just not worth it!!

minisoufka May 3rd 2009 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada (Post 7537604)
I'm not entirely sure, but I've heard different lengths of time. Some had to leave the very next day; others were given a week or so. Probably depends on the situation and how much time you have left in your passport.

But was it after they were declined an extension or after the Immigration found out they illegally overstayed??? That's crazy - I applied for extension in March so 'the time left in my passport' (meaning the 30 days allowed) have long passed now... That sounds like I would be one of those people who would be asked to leave immediately...
It would feel like having committed a crime, even though I didn't illegally overstay for one single da

Now I've got another question - the lady at Immigration has both my mobile and home number. What if she tries to call me, but can't get thorough? Say if she's calling with the message - 'you've got to leave in two days' and can't get through for another two days. Will she call the following week saying 'you should have left last week, not you'll be deported' ???

I know I'm asking too many questions... Thanks for your answers in advance
:)

zanne May 3rd 2009 9:43 pm

I am surprised that all of this isn't handled via your husbands contract. It seems strangle that you have to fend for yourself at immigration...

Foxy_fromCanada May 4th 2009 11:27 am

Mini, I think ultimately you need to speak to someone in Immigration or a lawyer with an Immigration specialty to ensure your questions are answered correctly. Telling my friends' stories probably isn't helpful as each situation is different, and I wouldn't want to lead you to believe your situation was headed a particular way.

Perhaps you should go in to Immigration or call them (if you can get anyone to answer the phone) to ask them about it. Don't bank on them calling you - they won't always do that.

Good luck.

Serendipidy May 4th 2009 2:25 pm

Mini do they have your passport still?

If they do you are here legally and are doing nothing wrong however the only way your gonna know for sure is to go down to immigration and go for your next renewal - wat date is your current visa application up?

minisoufka May 4th 2009 9:04 pm

the immigration didn't keep my passport at all. i only have a receipt for an extension and i'm waiting.

I know I should perhaps call them myself, but a friend sho applied before me hasn't had her thing sorted yet either, so I'm thinking (hoping) mine is still 'being considered'

Thing is, I'm pregnant now and would really like to avoid flying. I hate flying as such, it always makes me nervous, sick and whatever - I really don't need this stress now.

And believe me - I would have called them long ago, but I'm pretty sure they will not have granted me the extension since my husband's work permit hasn't been sorted. He was the priority person on top of some very important list and despite that it hasn't been sorted - even though it's been over 3 months now. It's a complete mess :(

Serendipidy May 4th 2009 10:25 pm

Congrats on the pregnancy :thumbsup:

My renewal has been in the system now for over 5 months so i know the frustration although if you think about it could work for ya cos its unlikely they gonna have time to turn down your extension before you leave lol

Dips

minisoufka May 5th 2009 1:47 pm

Thanks for the congrats ;) I must say I put this pregnancy down to Barbados climate - it wasn't working out for over a year before we came here ;) So actually - I appreciate BB for just another thing!

Spoke to hubby last night - his boss is going to look into permits and visas soon. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the lower temperatures outside and am putting the visa application out of my mind :)

Thanks for all the answers,
Enjoy your day everyone!