Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Expats ejected from the island

Expats ejected from the island

Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:06 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expats ejected from the island

http://bbtravel.freeforums.org/don-t...come-t991.html

Don't know the particulars, but have a read..(the poster is a well established ex-pat who lives/vacations on the island and has for many years) This is why you need to make sure you have all your immigration stamps etc, and why it all needs to be on the up and up.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Expats ejected from the island

I've a handful of friends who've had the same fate due to overstaying their welcomes or being denied for another extension. One even got denied entry at the airport and had to go back on the next flight.

Not worth it to gamble with the rules. Immigration will notice.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:18 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if they will "notice" my work permit renewal application submitted in January !!! sigh
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Got my fingers crossed for you!

I've another friend who's been waiting on news of his renewal since November Frustrating!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:04 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Got my fingers crossed for you!

I've another friend who's been waiting on news of his renewal since November Frustrating!
so is he on the island/working in the meantime - no one seems to know what your status is in between renewals
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've heard conflicting info on that one.

Some say if Immigration has your passport, you're legal here while they keep it. Problem is, they could give you back your passport after your deadline, then tell you to get out for overstaying your welcome.

Others say you shouldn't even be here while they decide what to do with you. I really don't know.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi

Don't know the particulars, but have a read..(the poster is a well established ex-pat who lives/vacations on the island and has for many years) This is why you need to make sure you have all your immigration stamps etc, and why it all needs to be on the up and up.
That is unfortunate. This might help someone one day. The Barbados Act of immigration.

CHAPTER 190 - IMMIGRATION
http://www.caricomlaw.org/doc_dl.php?id=569

CHAPTER 188 - EXPULSION OF UNDESIRABLES
http://www.caricomlaw.org/doc_dl.php?id=583
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:42 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Tropical... thanks for that. I've not had a chance to read either, but looked at the Arrangement of Sections list.. and they look like a good document to have.
Old May 1st 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi

That's a bit scary.

We spend about 9 months of the year here and have bought a house and a car. I've never had any problems at the airport even when I have said I was staying for over 90 days.
This last time I put 65 days on my form and they just wrote 65 days on my stamp so I haven't had to go to imigration for an extension.
I guess I should go and formalize this at imigration. They last thing I want to happen is to be thrown off the island.
Old May 1st 2009, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cartoon, you don't need to get an extension if they're giving you the right length of time at the airport. So, if you're getting the length of time you want at the airport upon arrival, don't bother going to the Immigration office.

I, too, had good luck like that when I was just a visitor - often got 2 months at a time or even more at the airport. Sometimes just depends on the person behind the desk!

Take care,
foxy
Old May 1st 2009, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Cartoon, you don't need to get an extension if they're giving you the right length of time at the airport. So, if you're getting the length of time you want at the airport upon arrival, don't bother going to the Immigration office.

I, too, had good luck like that when I was just a visitor - often got 2 months at a time or even more at the airport. Sometimes just depends on the person behind the desk!

Take care,
foxy
Thanks Foxy.
I was surprised to get the correct stamp this time. It was a first.
They had given us some forms the previous time to prove that we owned a property but they told us to bring it in next time we visit. I didn't bother as they gave me a 65 day stamp this time.
I'm always worried that I won't get my passport back in time. I leave the island in May for 6 weeks then I'm back here for 6 weeks. I guess I'll just have to see what they stamp in my passport that time.
Old May 1st 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think in cases where you own property, they take it as a sign that you are financially able to support yourself while you're here, so they're more likely to grant you a longer stay.

To me, it seems the biggest fear is that you'll come here and work illegally, taking a job away from a Bajan. That's why some get "voted off" the island, so to speak - because it looks fishy that they don't have a job or savings yet can stay here for months and months.

I think it would be a good idea for you to carry those documents with you, just in case. I have heard of people carrying their bank and investment statements, too, to show that they can support themselves for the length of time they want to be here.

Take care,
fox
Old May 1st 2009, 8:30 pm

I showed the link to a friend of mine in Barbados whose instant reaction was hmmm money laundering!!! so maybe there was something more than the straight forward status issue here - not that he knows anything particular in this case but food for thought.

I found out thru this site a few months back that in the 70s barbados had issues with russia/mafia and money laundering and were pulled up by international regulations cos of it.
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

ITA dips, especially if "the bank seized the house" there is more to this story than meets the eye...even if you were sent packing it would still be your property, there is no prohibition on ownership.
Old May 2nd 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

minisoufka is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Foxy_fromCanada;7499987]

Some say if Immigration has your passport, you're legal here while they keep it. QUOTE]

Thing is I don't think they keep the passports any more... at least they didn't keep my husband's or any of his colleagues. Now he's been waiting for renewal of work permit since early February and I've been waiting for my extension since early March. Looks like the extension I aksed for (3 months as I didn't even dream of being granted more due to hubby's work permit in process) will expire by the time I get it.

Can anyone tell me - if they reject my application for extension, do I immediately have to leave the island? Or do they give me one day or one week? Or can I immediately apply for another extension?

(I'm actually planning to leave the island in August and never come back again - maybe I should just wait until they 'eject' me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.