Employed v. Self employed

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

CottonMandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Employed v. Self employed

Hi all!

I have been reading through the messages as well as doing my own research and while it has been very helpful there are a lot of gaps... I was hoping someone could help with the missing pieces.

I am currently employed within a business consultancy company and eager to leave this daily grime for a brighter better life for my children (assumed national status from father) and for my partner (national status) and myself(non national status).

I am not sure how easy it is to find employment on the island and I have seen mention of work permits - we travel to the island at least twice yearly and I have tried checking the papers but jobs are not advertised like in the the UK .

Also the ads are quite vague in terms of pay - is this balanced or is it a two job culture

However how would it work for a non national to start up in business - I have dealt with clients at work who have gone to other islands in the caribbean and found out that they are unable to trade because they are not a national (even when the business is quite successful yet alone when just starting out...

Last point ... for now at least is medical care - the question has been asked but never really answered - I know I don't have to worry about the winter snuffles but leaving a country where its possible to just phone for an appointment or drop in without a cheque book is quite a luxury?

Think that's enough for now - looking forward to any leads ta!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Employed v. Self employed

Hi, I am in your very situation (my husband is a national and as well my son-- I would apply for citizenship based on marriage as soon as possible, so far we have been waiting almost a year and 1/2. Tomorrow is finally our interview. As far as working as a self-employed sole-proprietor I am hoping someone else on here can give you some tips. As far as the Dr. we see a private Dr. in St.James and I believe it is about $60.00BB a visit.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

CottonMandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Employed v. Self employed

Thanks for relying Zanne

Are you living they now? As a Brit I am aware that I can only stay for 6mths but if your waiting for your interview can you stay longer?