Driving licence issues

Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Ulaantsetseg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving licence issues

Hi Everyone!

I have been in Barbados for more than 18 months, driving on a series of visitor's permits. However, my UK photocard licence is due to expire next month and I will therefore no longer be able to get a Barbados visitor's permit. As I am no longer resident in the UK, the DVLA will not renew my UK licence. My husband has a work permit in Barbados, and as his accompanying spouse, my passport is simply stamped 'visitor'. I can therefore not apply for the Barbados ID card that I understand I require before applying for a Barbados driving licence. Catch 22.

For those planning a move to Barbados from the UK, can I respectfully suggest that you renew any photocard driving licences before leaving the UK. Prior to our move, I called the DVLA and was told that I would be able to renew my licence when it expired. This is not so. I wish I had 'lost' my photocard and applied for a new one while still living in the UK.

If anyone has any suggestions for me on how to resolve my difficulties, I'd be most grateful. It appears that I am stuck between the laws of two countries, and will as a consequence, for now at least, not be able to drive in either country.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 9:58 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence issues

Hi thanks for your warning on this...I would suggest trying to renew ya visitors permit as they may not even notice or care that it has "officially" expired...try not to be too honest and point it out when you go to renew..hope ya lucky not to get a jobs worthy.. i know when i did mine (usually at car rental places) they are not as focussed on this stuff as the police station might be
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

macbajan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving licence issues

You can use the UK paper license to get a Barbados drivers license, either a visitor or local license. I moved out here in 1997 and was never issued with the UK photo card license.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Ulaantsetseg is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Driving licence issues

Hi. Thanks for the answers received, I appreciate your time in replying. I think I have found a fix that will allow me to continue driving in Barbados, although immediately in the UK should I wish/need to return for any reason. After much searching on other branches of this forum, I found a post by a regular on the New Zealand branch, quoting an answer he had received from the DVLA, as follows:

If you are temporarily abroad and even if your photograph is due to expire, your driving entitlement remains valid until the date shown on the reverse of the licence. However, for clarification, we would advise that you check with the host country driving licence authority to confirm whether your licence is valid for use there.

The validity date of your driving entitlement(s) can be found on the reverse of your photocard licence (Column 11). The date showing in section 4b on the front of the licence shows the date that the photograph needs to be renewed.

It may be more convenient for you to submit your application for photo renewal on your return to Great Britain (GB), however, this is a personal choice. The renewal should be done as soon as possible on your return as driving in GB with an expired photograph is an offence, which could result in a fine of up to £1,000. Please note road traffic enforcement is a police matter.

If you have moved abroad on a permanent basis, I am afraid that DVLA is unable to renew your photocard driving licence as road traffic legislation stipulates that driving licences can only be granted to those who are resident in this country.

Regards

Customer Enquiries Group
DVLA

My plan is to go with this, and simply renew my temporary visitors permit in Barbados. I will not be permitted to drive in the UK, though, and to do so will have to renew my photocard licence, but that is for another day. It would have been simpler to renew the photocard while still in the UK and hopefully anyone reading this before moving overseas will have the chance to do that.