Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Dream over before it's begun?

Dream over before it's begun?

Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Lindi2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dream over before it's begun?

Hi Shines,

I know when we went for our interview last month for citizenship we were expecting to be grilled, but once he realized we'd been married for 20 years he kind of lost interest and we were out within 10 mins with our paperwork stamped.

I wish you luck & hope you manage to get this sorted quickly.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Hi Lindi,

Thanks for that, I do understand why they have these rules and as we are only just married I expect to wait a while. As I said, hopefully having a cihld together will go in our favour and they will see we are in it for the long haul.

Is your husband a Bajan too?

S
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi Shines

Yes my husband is Bajan lived in the UK for 30+ years. We're seriously thinking of moving to Barbados in the next few years with our 9 year old hence the application for citizenship for myself and our daughter. We were told 6-12 months for everything to go through but we'll see

How long has it been since you moved there Shines?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Lindi,

I moved here a year ago today.

When are you thinking of moving, once you get your citzenship approved?

Sue
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Hi Sue

Ideally September 09 so that my daughter could start secondary school in Barbados. It all depends whether she is offered a place at the schools we've applied for. It's all pretty much up in the air at the moment, I'm hoping everything will fall into place at the beginning of next year and we can start putting our plans into place.

Are you settling o.k and any regrets? Are you Britsh by the way?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shines
Hi Lindi,

I moved here a year ago today.

When are you thinking of moving, once you get your citzenship approved?

Sue
Wow! It's been a year already! Celebration time!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Definitely worth celebrating doesn't time fly and all that....!

S x
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Are you settling o.k and any regrets? Are you Britsh by the way?[/QUOTE]

Hiya,

Yes to being a Brit, settling in fine, a few bumps along the way but no regrets at all!

What schools have you applied to?

S
Old Jun 24th 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Hi Sue

Is it ok if I send you a pm?

L
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Absolutely

Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Hi Sue

Did you get my PM?

New to all this I'm afraid

L
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Tinkz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody,

Just been reading your entire thread, looks like I'm going to have to break the bad news to my boyfriend tonight!

I'm English, moving to the Caymans in 3 weeks but my boyfriend is Bajan and living and working in Barbados. Plan was for me to finish my 6 'onth contract in the Caymans and then move to Barbados, but by the sounds of it, it's impossible. We've talked about getting married etc, but I didn't want to do it just as a way in to the country, but looks like even if I did it wouldn't make a difference.

Looks like it's going to be trips to and from the Caymans instead, which is fare from ideal as this whole long distance thing is horrible, didn't think I could miss anybody so much

If anybody hears of any possible way for a legal secretary from Cornwall, whose worked in London for 2 years, now moving to the Caymans, madly in love with a Bajan to move to Barbados please let me know!

xx
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:14 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with following your dreams Tinks

Can he not relocate to Caymans? If its true love that sounds the best compromise as you have already travelled half the distance.

Serendipidy
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Tinkz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Yeah it is a possibiliy, but he already has his own house in Barbados and it would be nice to live in a country where at least one of us has family and friends!

Also, getting a work permit in the Caymans isn't that easy either. I'm just lucky as its one of the financial capitals of the world and they're crying out for legal secretaries.

He did talk about coming to the UK but I don't think that would work out that well. He's in the hotel industry which is one of the worst paid industries in the UK and if I'm going to settle with a family then its definately not going to be in London which is were we'd earn the most money. It would be back home in Cornwall but unfortunately we'd probably both have to be working crazy hours to afford to even rent something as a mortage is out of the question.

We'll just have to work something out. I'll stay in the Caymans for a bit longer, get some money together and then maybe do 3 months there and 3 months in Barbados. In an ideal world I'd love to get married and have kids so wouldn't work for a couple of years anyway but its still early days.

Just have to take it one day at a time and see how it goes.

What brought you to Barbados?
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:55 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

a change in life pace and being somewhere that people still give a damn - barbados has its challenges but it suits my outlook and my values. I appreciate the community feel where you can actually look out for each other. Im still kinda stuck in the ex-pat scene as many bajan women dont take kindly to strangers but the longer i stay the more involved in local life i get. For me the UK suffocates my soul so here is a chance to breathe again.

There are challenges - culturally the men take some understanding boiiiiii lol

However I come and go when i need a change of scenery -

keep in touch

Serendipidy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.